Questions about wheel spacers! Please help! - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SKYRoadster News News related to the Saturn SKY as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyguypat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Questions about wheel spacers! Please help!

So i want to install some 3/8" wheel spacers to my 07 sky (to my rear wheels ONLY, im worried any extra width on the front would cause rubbing in my wheel wells) i currently have the standard 95.1" wheelbase and want to give it a meaner look.

1) is this too much width and could it just be bad for my lugs and safety? If so what is the maximum width i could add to my wheelbase?

2)is adding with to just the rear wheels bad for performance, etc? Also COULD the front wheels handle more width, if so how much??

Let me know if you all have had success with wheel spacers and the setup you had, id really like to be able to give my sky a meaner look but not have a wheel fly off driving on the interstate ? Thanks guys
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
As with all wheel spacers, it places additional stress on the hub and lugs. I have never heard anyone using them on these cars but I have heard quite a bit of negativity about them in general. It would be up to you but I doubt your wheels will fly off.

Borg Warner EFR6758, EBC, & Forgev2 BPV
Custom boost tubes & intake
Twinscroll turbo manifold & custom catted downpipe
HPTuners
Performance Autowerks FMIC
RPi exhaust
AEM AFR & boost in ddm pillar
Spec ST2+ clutch & half mass flywheel
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks arikdahn!

i think i will probably just refrain from widening the base this way, im hearing even as little as a 3/16 spacers left but a few threads left on the lugs, maybe i will trade the stock chrome wheels out for some wider aftermarket deep-dish wheels instead😁
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Taz

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I've been running 1/4" spacers on all for corners for a long long time and have had no rubbing or any other issue and I'm running 255/45 all around. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I've been running 1/4" spacers on all for corners for a long long time and have had no rubbing or any other issue and I'm running 255/45 all around. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying....
Sweet! Do you mind do include pics? Would love to see that! And how did it effect cornering and handling, any improvement?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Skyguypat, you may want to ask him what wheel size, offset, and wheel studs he is using too.

If the offset of the wheel is 1/4" or so deeper than stock, then a 1/4" spacer would give you the same track width as stock and thus no real change in handling. If he goes with a wheel that is stock offset, or 1/4" shallower offset than stock, then he would have a track that is 1/2-1 inch wider than stock. Having the tires stick out that much would also free up another 1/4-1/2 clearance on the inside of the wheel allow him to run wider wheels and thus, wider tires. While 255 is wider than our stock 245, it's not hugely so and I believe can be done on our stock wheels.

If he is running longer ARP wheel studs, that would also address the extra strain the spacer would place on the wheel studs.

So be sure to get all the info from Taz about his setup to make the most educated decision as far as running spacers.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Skyguypat, you may want to ask him what wheel size, offset, and wheel studs he is using too.

If the offset of the wheel is 1/4" or so deeper than stock, then a 1/4" spacer would give you the same track width as stock and thus no real change in handling. If he goes with a wheel that is stock offset, or 1/4" shallower offset than stock, then he would have a track that is 1/2-1 inch wider than stock. Having the tires stick out that much would also free up another 1/4-1/2 clearance on the inside of the wheel allow him to run wider wheels and thus, wider tires. While 255 is wider than our stock 245, it's not hugely so and I believe can be done on our stock wheels.

If he is running longer ARP wheel studs, that would also address the extra strain the spacer would place on the wheel studs.

So be sure to get all the info from Taz about his setup to make the most educated decision as far as running spacers.
Youre very right robo, hadnt even consider the extended wheel studs, still not sure about if i should go extra width on my sky, i ordered some red aluminum lug nuts to match my cars color and when i replace those ill take measurements of how much stud there is from wheel base to tip of the stud, not sure how much that is but hopefully enough to be able to bring the wheels out a little without having to worry about them flying off

@taz
Also what offset, wheel studs and diameter are you running? And front and or rear pics would be appreciated?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
If you're going extra width for looks, then it's up to you.

If you're doing it for performance, I would look into the DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Probeam rear brace, the Venom or DDM front brace, Z0K rear and/or front anti-sway bars, and a set of coil overs before wheels.

Now tires, tires are huge when it comes to handling. Number one thing. But, I'm assuming you've got good rubber. If not a quick search on here will pull up more tire threads than you'll probably care to read.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
My .02 on spacers is a general statement. It's safe to run a wheel spacer without introducing any additional stress so long as the spacer is thinner than the center bore lip on the hub.

RKSport Hood
DDM I/C Pipes, OCC, Shifter Kit, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolts, trunk/hood lights
Werks I/C, Rad, Backbone & Swaybars
reBar
K&N CAI
MF Catback
Solo Race Pipe
3bar MAP w/ ZZP Tune
Windrestrictor & Lit Sills
Quaife Diff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
If you're going extra width for looks, then it's up to you.

If you're doing it for performance, I would look into the DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Probeam rear brace, the Venom or DDM front brace, Z0K rear and/or front anti-sway bars, and a set of coil overs before wheels.

Now tires, tires are huge when it comes to handling. Number one thing. But, I'm assuming you've got good rubber. If not a quick search on here will pull up more tire threads than you'll probably care to read.
i have the kelly edge hps, when i got the sky the previous owner had pretty much kept it in the garage hadnt even been rained on, also dont think the tires had been replaced, i couldnt even drive in the rain without feeling like the rear wheels were just spinning wide open the whole time. the local goodyear dealership suggested the kelly hps and and it made an incredible difference, actually took some stress out of my life (definitely shouldnt be STRESSFUL to drive around the sky) regarding your last post on the other thread, i was considering starting with some sway bars and coil overs to try to start beefing up my suspension so i can hang in there better on those quick turns when i do get the turbo. i have so many visions for this car just trying to find out where to get started.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

@VinnieRL thanks! your logic makes complete sense, i always like having at least a rule of thumb for things rather than guessing, ill have to look into this on my sky (hoping its at least 1/4 in) would love to make my edge of my wheels flush with my rear fenders from the rear view
VinnieRL likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SKYRoadster News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in