Renault-designed Saturns Possible - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SKYRoadster News News related to the Saturn SKY as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember back when Motortrend named the Renault Alliance car of the year. That was the last issue of Motortrend I ever bought.

Got it:

2008 Sky Redline
Black Onyx Red/Black Leather
Single Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
3 Pedals
Picked up 9/04/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
jr1

The Renault connection.......

Like all auto manufacturers Renault has gone through good and bad patches and good and bad specific models at times. Some more than others, but anyone who thinks a specific manufacturer has never done this has an emotional commitment to a brand name. It's the old "Ford -v- Chevy.... Mopar -v- .... Brand X -v- Brand Y .... fill in you own personal illogical emotional commitment" thing again. Sorry to bring eveyone down to reality, but these days they all have good ones, better one and a few (very few) lemons these days in spite of what we might choose to believe.

I have owned 4 renaults in the past when I lived in the UK. The first one was pretty decent for it's day and very solid (R1100, a mid course correction from the old thin tinny Dauphine of the early 70's, via R8). The other 3 were R16's of various models. The first true "hatchback" - so yes, they do have their inovations like everyone else. In fact they had a lot of very inovative features. Those were great vehicles and with typical modern upgrades, would still stand up well again most in their class.

I have rented a few over in UK on business too in more recent years and they have been good too.

Of course, if lot people knew where they "favorite" model or brand of car was actually designed and built these days they would have quite a shock.

Frankly, I think styling could be the biggest issue to selling them here. They have had a few very strange looking auto's.............. however they seem to sell well in Europe, and look at that ugly Honda SUV thing or the Scion Van......

(Just fer the record we drive a V8 Ford Explorer and a Saturn Redline SKY - oh, and a 32ft Class A MH on a Workhorse chassis with 8.1 liter Chevy vortec.)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
While I understand and generally agree with your discussion, the fact is that big companies have their own identity and way of doing business. I learned this when I worked at Boeing. When DC-10s started falling out of the sky it was interesting to take a hard look at the differences in engineering philosophy between the two then rival companies. Both put in redundant hydraulic systems, but Boeing viewed itself as a "belt and suspenders" kind of company and so chose to spend the extra money to route the redundant hydraulic systems such that a single failure would be much less likely to cause multiple failures. Macdac on the other hand, ran its redundant systems in the same location through out the aircraft. As a result, when the rear mounting pin for the wing engine failed and the mounting strucure rotated forward and upwareds, it took out ALL the hydraulic systems on the Chicago DC 10 resulting in total loss of hydraulic fluid and pressure. The aircraft then became a projectile.

A 727 had the entire top of the fuselage come off and was landed safely. There are multiple incidents where a single system was lost on a Boeing aircraft without loss of life.

In my personal opinion, this is why Ford trucks tend to be more reliable than some other manufacturers. Its a result of company character.

"The FIA examination of last yearís Singapore grand prix could lead to Renault quitting Formula One if their team is found guilty of interfering with the result of the floodlit raceís inaugural running.

Although not mentioning Renault by name, the sportís governing body is likely to take a closer look at the race following the acquisition of fresh evidence. During the broadcast of Sundayís Belgian grand prix, the Brazilian network Globo TV reportedly said it had received information that Nelson Piquet Jr had been asked to crash on purpose and trigger the sequence of events that led to his team‑mate, Fernando Alonso, moving from the back to the front of the field and scoring a win that went against form in the previous 14 races. A spokeswoman for the ING Renault F1 Team said today that there would be no comment.'

and

of industrial collaboration with Nazi Germany ; he dies a month later, claiming to have been mistreated in Fresnes Prison ; a Traumatic brain injury and a severe Uremia are observed. No inquiry is made.

Three month later, Renault was nationalized, on the official and very thin case of collaboration. This was most remarkable, for this condamnation was without judgement, and applied to an already dead person, in violation to rule of law and all French juridical principles. The actual director of the plant during the war succeeded in 1949 to obtain a judgement stating that he and the plant actually did not collaborated, and in 1967 Louis' only heir, his son Jean-Louis Renault, obtained some indemnisation. Louis, however, never was officially rehabilited. Actually, Louis paid his old opposition to left wing political forces, most importantly communists and labour unionists, and the fact that they wanted to make of Renault an industrial laboratory of their ideas.

Interesting. Wonder what the truth is today?

Renault.com - Car Selector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
I remember back when Motortrend named the Renault Alliance car of the year.
Are you F N serious???????

*SINISTER*
Onyx
3 Peds
LSD
Spoiler
Splash Guards
Sky Mats
Tint
3rd Brake Sinister
Stubby
Saddle
DC Sports Brace
AEM Intake
RL Exhaust
Restrictor
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlySky View Post
Are you F N serious???????
1983 Car of the year. Also a Car and Driver's 10 best that year. I still put very little faith in these publications reviews to this date.
The reality:
Good....Car got 40 MPG.
Bad......Everything else.

Renault Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Got it:

2008 Sky Redline
Black Onyx Red/Black Leather
Single Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
3 Pedals
Picked up 9/04/07

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SKYRoadster News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in