Vauxhall-Opel No Longer GM - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
SKYRoadster News News related to the Saturn SKY as well as site news. Only Administrators may create new threads in this section.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Garage
Vauxhall-Opel No Longer GM

Did anyone read that our Opels are no longer GM of Europe. We are now French. Peugot to be exact.
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Yup, news leaked a few weeks ago. Deal officially announced Monday morning.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Is Peugot capable of making a good-looking convertible that would be considered/sold/bought in N. Am? I remember seeing a couple of Peugot verts in Europe, and they weren't nice. Interested to see where this might go though.

Is this good news or bad news?

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Garage
Wonder if this means Peugot, Vauxhall, or Opel will consider coming back to N. America like Alfa and Fiat?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Wonder if this means Peugot, Vauxhall, or Opel will consider coming back to N. America like Alfa and Fiat?
From a BBC article, "PSA has said many countries are reluctant to buy French cars and the Opel brand will help them expand into new markets."

So it is possible they will bring Opel back. Better, would be if they rebranded them as Saturn by buying the Saturn nameplate too. Would hope they also brought the Saturn corporate and retailer mentality back as well if that long shot happened.

Adler
SMS TB
FalkenTires
Rear Camera
ACE 18" Rims
Custom Paint
JL Audio Amp
JL 13TW5 Sub
SMS Headers
Vertical Doors
Pioneer AVIC-Z1
JL Audio Surrounds
Functional Hood Vents
KappaSphere - Saturn MotorSports

3800: 6-20-06 vin 3895
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
I think it's strange that GM decided to dump Opel now, when it seems as though with the right maneuvering they could have used Opel to launch an electric vehicle range in Europe. GM has probably has more invested and more experience in EV technology than any other automaker. Although the appetite for EV's here is still small, I would predict that they will start becoming much more popular in the coming years. I wouldn't be surprised, and would be in fact supportive of, a total ban on at least diesel-powered cars in city centers. When the legislation for this eventually comes, EV's can take their place.

As for PSA, their cars have been generally pretty dull in the past few years. The only decent thing they managed to produce was the RCZ, and even that wasn't all that great. I hope they don't ruin what image Opel has left.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Looks as Germitalian as it does French: hints of Audi TT and Kharmann-Ghia. I kind of like it. Thanks for the pic. I'll have to look into it more tomorrow.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
Looks as Germitalian as it does French: hints of Audi TT and Kharmann-Ghia. I kind of like it. Thanks for the pic. I'll have to look into it more tomorrow.
You are right! It does look like a Kharmann-Ghia with Sky/ VauxhallLightning lights.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Most popular Peugeot convertible was used from Peter Falk as Inspector Colombo
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Renault has a very bad history in the US market. They brought a short range, cheap car and sold it to people who drive 12000 miles a year. They were run out of the market in short order.

Having said that though, Fiat had a similar experience back in the 60s and now look at them.

Anything is possible and I am all for more competition and diversity.

But . . for me . .. one of the reasons that I never considered a French car is because their idea of style is just butt ugly to me.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:52 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
You are right! It does look like a Kharmann-Ghia with Sky/ VauxhallLightning lights.
That's the first thought I had on seeing the picture: Kharmann-Ghia.

When I was young and away at school, my step-dad traded my beat up AH Sprite in on a new Kharmann-Ghia. I never forgave him for that.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Now I know where I have seen this car before. Just happened to be watching a movie this morning, and there it was, caught me off guard, but I knew I had seen it before. Audi TT or Karman Ghia-ish or the Peugeot, so I turn to the TV and there it was.

Movie: 3 Days to Kill 2014 Kevin Costner/ Amber Heard driving through traffic like a crazy woman...

Personally I am not a fan of it. Just odd looking to me. Everyone has their tastes to what looks good or not. GM is in to dropping things from their line up... Pontiac/Saturn, and now Opel, it's what they do.

LAC

Last edited by Robotech; 03-09-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Must...fix...broken...quote...tag...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Blaue Traum Send a message via Yahoo to Blaue Traum
Bad, very bad.
I unfortunately have to spend a lot of time in France and the French economy is on its last legs. The French cars ie PSA Group and Renault are of very mediocre and strikes along with internal unrest, terrorist activity
and general French laziness mean that anything they lay their hands on is doomed to failure. I have always owned an Opel as well as my GT, but will no longer buy anything produced by them. I will buy German for every day use and Italian for fun.

I do own two American cars which I use regularly, both are Packards from the 1920's which I use regularly. It is a pity that quality no longer seems to be what it was in the early part of the 20th Century. I can only hope that Donald Trump will bring the USA back to what she once was. If not the USA will follow Europe into chaos and terrorism.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaue Traum View Post
Bad, very bad.
I unfortunately have to spend a lot of time in France and the French economy is on its last legs. The French cars ie PSA Group and Renault are of very mediocre and strikes along with internal unrest, terrorist activity
and general French laziness mean that anything they lay their hands on is doomed to failure. I have always owned an Opel as well as my GT, but will no longer buy anything produced by them. I will buy German for every day use and Italian for fun.

I do own two American cars which I use regularly, both are Packards from the 1920's which I use regularly. It is a pity that quality no longer seems to be what it was in the early part of the 20th Century. I can only hope that Donald Trump will bring the USA back to what she once was. If not the USA will follow Europe into chaos and terrorism.
Unfortunately, that statement applies not only to cars, but everything. Small things that used to be repairable are now disposable.
Rance Burker likes this.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
I think it's strange that GM decided to dump Opel now, when it seems as though with the right maneuvering they could have used Opel to launch an electric vehicle range in Europe. GM has probably has more invested and more experience in EV technology than any other automaker. Although the appetite for EV's here is still small, I would predict that they will start becoming much more popular in the coming years. I wouldn't be surprised, and would be in fact supportive of, a total ban on at least diesel-powered cars in city centers. When the legislation for this eventually comes, EV's can take their place.
GM management has the eye on Profit. EV's don't make profit. Autonomous EV's sold to fleets might make profit.

I think Autonomous works better with EV's as its all then just basic electrical communication, throw a ICE in the mix and think maintenance and monitoring of issues gets more complex. Really more a gut feel than any knowledge and ICE's have so many sensors now maybe its not true. I don't know. But I think that. 3 days without power and my brain is exhausted. But I have learned alot about generators and interacting with house electrical, need to learn more.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > SKYRoadster News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in