Apologies to MM but Tire Question - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Apologies to MM but Tire Question

Looking for some new shoes for the SKY. With it mostly driven by the wife, want to error on the side of caution and put A/S on it (don't expect it to be driven in sub 50 deg weather, but also like the higher wear of A/S)

So is the BFgoodrich Comp 2 A/S still one of the best on the market, or has something new come along. (also at $150 a pop seems like a good price for the performance)

I guess if there is a summer only tire that is comperable in wear and performance I might go that way, given my above and thinking that yeah even in the 60's she doesn't take the car out.

Doing some searching doesn't seem like a lot of new tires have come out in this space lately.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Last edited by davhamm; 03-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Garage
Why the APOLOGY? Do not understand.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Why the APOLOGY? Do not understand.
Cause you always get upset about new tire threads.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:06 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Cause you always get upset about new tire threads.
Do u really believe I get upset....Unlike others, I do not personalize what members say. This site is supposed to be informative and FUN...I wish all members understood that...but ALAS, Sigh! Poor Hornet. Was not mature enough
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I don't know if you got truely upset.. .but there were many times when someone would ask about tires, and you always responded with something like SEARCH or here we go again. So to have some Fun and poke the bear I through out the Apology line.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Garage
Dave!!!!!

Don't feed the bears!!!! Were trying to talk him to coming to Colorado for the Nationals. We want him calm cool and collected. Hey are you coming to Blackhawk?

Tires, I have been down this road a lot, but will tell you that if the other half is only going to drive the car in the summer on warm days, really is only one tire to have. It does not start with a M or G.

If traction and performance are the primary need, RE71R's have no equal currently. They are not cheap, but the performance is absolutely amazing. I put them on the Mallett and it made it at least driveable. I have them on my skpel, and on 243 in socal, it will run with or away from a SuperSnake. The tires hook up, but not great mileage. I think Robo got about 20K out of his. The only problem with them is that they are very sticky, will pick up small pebbles and chip the paint in front of the rear tires. I just ordered Norm's fender skirts to try an stop some of it. If you buy them I would advise 3M clear vinyl on the front of the rear quarter panels. At 20K life line they would last you at least 3 summers is my guess. Keep them inside and out of the sun. I have a little over 5 K on mine and they still look new. And they are as sticky as the first day. 1/16th inch pebbles stick to the tread to this day. I have had mine for nearly two nears. Fantastic tires.

But if it gets cold, you have to warm them up, and below 50 degrees they do not work as well, no question. But I have not had any rain problems with them. Put close to 2000 miles on them over a 5 day period with lots of rain going to Gunnison, Colorado and back. No hdyroplaininge, and supposedly are rated the best wet weather use in their catecory. How much that means, no idea.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Dave!!!!!

Don't feed the bears!!!! Were trying to talk him to coming to Colorado for the Nationals. We want him calm cool and collected. Hey are you coming to Blackhawk?

Tires, I have been down this road a lot, but will tell you that if the other half is only going to drive the car in the summer on warm days, really is only one tire to have. It does not start with a M or G.

If traction and performance are the primary need, RE71R's have no equal currently. They are not cheap, but the performance is absolutely amazing. I put them on the Mallett and it made it at least driveable. I have them on my skpel, and on 243 in socal, it will run with or away from a SuperSnake. The tires hook up, but not great mileage. I think Robo got about 20K out of his. The only problem with them is that they are very sticky, will pick up small pebbles and chip the paint in front of the rear tires. I just ordered Norm's fender skirts to try an stop some of it. If you buy them I would advise 3M clear vinyl on the front of the rear quarter panels. At 20K life line they would last you at least 3 summers is my guess. Keep them inside and out of the sun. I have a little over 5 K on mine and they still look new. And they are as sticky as the first day. 1/16th inch pebbles stick to the tread to this day. I have had mine for nearly two nears. Fantastic tires.

But if it gets cold, you have to warm them up, and below 50 degrees they do not work as well, no question. But I have not had any rain problems with them. Put close to 2000 miles on them over a 5 day period with lots of rain going to Gunnison, Colorado and back. No hdyroplaininge, and supposedly are rated the best wet weather use in their catecory. How much that means, no idea.
Who makes those tires? I would like a set but need to know the make to search tire rack etc
Thanks
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Garage
Bridgestone.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copdriver91 View Post
Who makes those tires? I would like a set but need to know the make to search tire rack etc
Thanks
Really, there is this thing called google enter RE71R and the tire magically appears. (ok its late, im being a smart ass, hey I'm sounding like the forums grumpy old man now)

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Bridgestone.
More $$$$ less, life, better grip. Naa not the direction I am want go. But thanks.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I have a set of BFG Comps on my Challenger R/T. BFG is the ONLY tire I will ever buy aftermarket again. I've had 2 sets of Bridgestone, and both sets the belts seperated within 15k on my Mustang. Good Years are like their name implies...."Good for 1 year". I had Good Year F1s on my Challenger from the factory....got 19k out of them. Never again! I hate Firestone. Kuhmos are noisey. Toyo Proxies were really good on my Mustang.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:35 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
You will be quite happy with a Vogue tyre...they do come in blackwalls...great 60K warranty.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
I have the summer only version of those BFGs on my BMW so can compare them to what I have on the Solstice, Michelin PSS. The latter are better (and more expensive) but the BFGs are very good. I wouldn't hesitate to try them for you wife's car.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
You will be quite happy with a Vogue tyre...they do come in blackwalls...great 60K warranty.
You are being facetious, right? Are you European or Australian MM? You spelled tire T Y R E.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I recently put BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 AS on my GXP. Noticeable difference to the oem Goodyears.
The ride is very good. No harshness. I have a stock suspension except for the 1/2" DDM tunnel brace, Venom brace and the Probeam.

The tires are also quiet. I've had Michelin and Pirellis all seasons that were noisey.

The grip in wet condition is excellent. The grip on dry roads are also good. I'm not sure about autocrossing with the all season but will try it in a few weeks.

The best price was from Amazon. Jegs fulfilled the order.
davhamm likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in