Backbone install lifting 1 side of car - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:51 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Reading more closely I did not say muffler I said Exhaust..
If the exhaust is not a muffler...what is an exhaust? This is getting redundant.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Nothing has to be dropped. Period. The hardest part on this job is loosening the screws. They are difficult to remove if u do it without a lift.

Many olde timers did it themselves...just by crawling under the car...not recommended if you are fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgab View Post
I put in DDM's thickest brace... no way it was going in without dropping the exhaust.
The side of the car is 5" off the ground.. that's a pretty tight space to slide into and work with. Never seen a video of someone doing it without dropping the mufflers to get the pipe out of the way. Not saying its not possible but it takes only few minutes, and I have not seen anyone have difficulty removing the bolts with the car just up on ramps. See video in this thread as an example.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It worked out easy for me... just had to wait for my Solo cat-back system to arrive and I did the install with no pipe in the way. I second the level car idea - I put the car up on four jack stands so there wouldn't be any body twist while installing the brace.

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:58 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
The side of the car is 5" off the ground.. that's a pretty tight space to slide into and work with. Never seen a video of someone doing it without dropping the mufflers to get the pipe out of the way. Not saying its not possible but it takes only few minutes, and I have not seen anyone have difficulty removing the bolts with the car just up on ramps. See video in this thread as an example.
When this was popular doing it yourself....I also slid under the car...and believe me trying to break those screws loose was a bitch. Did not have the leverage. The best idea was having it done in a muffler shop. They put it on a lift...and it was done. I cannot recall how much it cost..but letting them do it...was worth it. Although I believe it is worthless if u do normal driving. I do not see any difference. Of course, I don't go over 25....LOL
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If the exhaust is not a muffler...what is an exhaust? This is getting redundant.
The exhaust (system) is generally considered the take down pipe / Cat / resonators / mufflers and all the pipes connecting them and the tailpipe (generally considered the pipe section that is open at the end generally the pipe that leaves the muffler, as typically the muffler is the last component in the exhaust (system).

The muffler is one component of the exhaust system.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

There is a garage near me that rents hoist time and tools $25 an hour for a hoist $5 for all the handtools and impact wrench. Might be worth just going there, and doing the backbone and pro-beam in an hour and be done.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I viewed my install and...how can the muffler be in the way. The muffler is in the rear end. It is just a muffler pipe...and all they do is slide the old backbone out and slide the new one in...all of you are making a simple unscrewing MASSIVE.
Quote:
This may need to be qualified....I have an NA...only one engine pipe. R/L I believe is different. And I had the original DDM Backbone installed.
With a 3" exhaust there was little room to move anything to get the brace out. Of course I was also doing the Probeam and you HAVE to have the exhaust out of the way for that one so it only made sense to drop the muffler so the exhaust could come down.

Quote:
There is a garage near me that rents hoist time and tools $25 an hour for a hoist $5 for all the handtools and impact wrench. Might be worth just going there, and doing the backbone and pro-beam in an hour and be done.
Oh man so worth it. Even spending $100 on a lift for four hours to do major work would be worth it. LOL Lucky...
marlboromike likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
I was able to get the middle thickness backbone on without removing the exhaust system. But the other two went on while on the lift so it was very easy. I would rent the site Davhamm, drilling the holes for the ProBeam. I am ordering the complete set for the Cadaver Blue car. But will do it on the lift I am sure. I would not want to be laying on the ground in Michigan this time of year for any reason.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I was able to get the middle thickness backbone on without removing the exhaust system. But the other two went on while on the lift so it was very easy. I would rent the site Davhamm, drilling the holes for the ProBeam. I am ordering the complete set for the Cadaver Blue car. But will do it on the lift I am sure. I would not want to be laying on the ground in Michigan this time of year for any reason.
Oh its not happening now, car is tucked away for the winter and have other pressing projects. Hell I have had the parts for over a year. Hopefully I'll get around to it this summer.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:06 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
This thread is MOOT
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This thread is MOOT
Mike, I think by your definition most my posts are MOOT, --- Heck A couple years of my membership here were moot since i didn't own a car yet.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Hey davhamm,

I bought a backbone last week and I live in Shelby Township. I will split the cost with you on that hoist rental this next spring when I get the car out of storage.

Just thinking....

Jim
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I backed mine up on ramps and used an impact gun, bolts came right out, pulled down on exhaust pipe, backbone slid right in. Whole job took 20 mins. Ramps are only $30 at harbour freight. 20v impact isnt that expensive either if you plan on using it on other projects.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did the backbone a week ago and I tried to maneuver past the exhaust with no luck. Had to drop the driver''s side of the muffler to get it by the exhaust. 1/4" backbone and stock exhaust. Put in the probeam (and venom brace) yesterday and no need to drop the muffler. Could get in between the muffler and crossmember with a boxend. No issues. I guess there is some variation car-to-car.

Last edited by msaudino; 03-25-2019 at 08:48 PM.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter View Post
I backed mine up on ramps and used an impact gun, bolts came right out, pulled down on exhaust pipe, backbone slid right in. Whole job took 20 mins. Ramps are only $30 at harbour freight. 20v impact isnt that expensive either if you plan on using it on other projects.
Yeah, I think this is the way I am going to go in the spring... Seems to be easiest, as long as I dont back up to far.. LOL

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in