new tires - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Newbie here, but just to throw my two cents in. I've put Pilot Super Sports on a couple of cars. Not the newest performance tire out there, but I don't think you can find a better all around balance of ride, noise and handling than the PSS. Wanted to go with the new Pilot Sport 4S on the Redline I just picked up, but as mentioned it's not available in 245/45-18. Maybe not enough demand for that size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
A comment on the R40 versus the R45 ...... regarding the R40 accumulating miles faster, that is a valid point, and not something I want to do on a car that everyone always considers the mileage of the vehicle when they talk and compare vehicles.

But, on the speedo inaccuracy, that too is definitely an issue but a minor one. Frankly the speedo is so hard to read at a glance that I have come to depend on my Garmin GPS for all speed monitoring and alerts on speed posting changes.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
All 40's and 45's are not created equal. Same brand you will always see a difference, but comparing different brands they may be the exact same overall height. I would actually measure to be sure the 40 wouldn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I know I picked up 4 seconds overall on the Autocross track with a tire change. LOL
That's what happens when you lose those $88.00 dollar specials from China, and put real tires on your car, ask the Viper guy what he thinks about your 4 seconds! lol Damn the Sky guy.

Autocrosse aside, every day driving for most of us out here, comfort long lasting wear, bang for your buck so to speak, grip and traction in dry or wet weather fun, you can't go wrong with dumping any old OEM tires. The contact patch with the road surface, for things like I don't know... steering, braking, traction acceleration, money well spent for the impact or feedback to the driver's input. Brakes are another area, where good $$$ is a no brainer. Yes Bigger is better TWSS, stopping power life saving event is how much is your life worth to you? Do you want to stop now.... or in that extra 10 ft. ? 10 wheel dump trucks don't move, nor do concrete barriers, or stupid people yapping away on the cell phones. Upgrade the OEM system or go Big with a full change over the old question remains... Stop now or later, up to you? I prefer the now. That's just me. Battery ignition system, 1st. If it don't start, your not going anywhere. 2nd/3rd is Tires/Brakes for the instant impact on your DD commute or a wonder afternoon beating a Viper in Saturn no less. I did the new battery. I did the newer tires. Now for the brakes... I like stopping before the woman on her cell phone does something else.. stupid in front of me.

LAC
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Recently purchased a set of Goodrich G-Force Comp-2. Not the stickiest, but do well under brisk / spirited driving. I like them.
Don't believe they would be the best choice for "track day", though.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc104 View Post
Recently purchased a set of Goodrich G-Force Comp-2. Not the stickiest, but do well under brisk / spirited driving. I like them.
Don't believe they would be the best choice for "track day", though.
That's what I put on my Z4M - they are a step down from the Michelin PSS but then most street tires are. They are pretty sticky, good in the wet, and good all round high performance tires.

Track day calls for the Bridgestones or a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, IMHO.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaz View Post
...Wanted to go with the new Pilot Sport 4S on the Redline I just picked up, but as mentioned it's not available in 245/45-18. Maybe not enough demand for that size?
The PS4S was just launched this year and it came in alot of 19" and 20" sizes with only one 18" size available. I read somewhere that they are planing to roll out more sizes in the spring of 2018. I wouldn't doubt our size would be in that group.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently put a set of Continental DWS06 on my Sky and have been pleased with them. Grip is good, ride is smooth and noise is low. Check out the test results and reviews here.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=445YR8DWS06XL

2008 Techno Gray Sky Red Line
Automatic Transmission
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon Sound
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone looked into or tried 265/40/18 tires on our cars? Just buying this size in the same make and model tire will save you good amount.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Buddy »»»REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Tinted side & back windows
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Has anyone looked into or tried 265/40/18 tires on our cars? Just buying this size in the same make and model tire will save you good amount.
Am also interested in if this size would fit without issue. It would be about 1/4" smaller diameter. If I did the math right it's not enough to notice an error in the speedometer (~1/2mph per 60mph). It would cause the odometer to read ~75 miles low per 10,000 miles.

Can a dealer or other shop with proper programmer adjust for different tire sizes? I've done this with Dodges but never had to with a GM.

The biggest issue is the roughly .8" increase in width.

2007 Silver/Red Sky Redline
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
The tires are in inch different in circumference and will be 1.3% smaller diameter so you speedo would be off by that much.

If you are willing to put up with that, the only question is whether the tires would fit without fouling. No idea what the answer to that is.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post

Can a dealer or other shop with proper programmer adjust for different tire sizes? I've done this with Dodges but never had to with a GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
If you are willing to put up with that, the only question is whether the tires would fit without fouling. No idea what the answer to that is.
I have HP Tuners and will check but I am almost 100% certain you can adjust for different tire sizes for the speedometer to read correctly. I don't think a dealer would do it since they basically can just upload the stock file but tuners could do it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
FWIW 275/40/18 is almost exactly the same diameter as the OE size. Only 0.07% difference from 245/45/18. Another thing to think about though is that a 265 or 275 tire isn't recommended to be used on a wheel less than 9" wide. If you still have the original wheel they are only 8" wide.

If you are trying to save some money and still get quality tires I recommend switching to the 225/50/18 size. It is what I use on the OE wheel and the height is only a 0.66% difference from stock.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
Am also interested in if this size would fit without issue. It would be about 1/4" smaller diameter. If I did the math right it's not enough to notice an error in the speedometer (~1/2mph per 60mph). It would cause the odometer to read ~75 miles low per 10,000 miles.

You got your math wrong. Smaller diam will error by adding more miles.

Thought experiment. Original tire has circumference of 1 mile. So car is programmed 1 rev. is 1 mile.
Put on smaller tire circumference of 0.5 miles. Car goes 1/2 mile (one rotation) One rotation to car is 1 mile. Smaller tires to replace OEM will cause artificial increase in Miles, and your speedo will show a higher speed.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've been told that if you do not put the recommended tire on the vehicle, it will void the tire warranty.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in