Routine mntc - check HUB bolts - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By 44thSKY
  • 1 Post By Rob the Elder
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By Robotech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Routine mntc - check HUB bolts

At NASSAM2018, Rob was holding the maintenance check-off items class on Wednesday morning. The discussion point was wheel hub bolts (item 8 in section 3 of the Kappa Maintenance List). A comment was made about using a torque wrench to tighten the three lug nuts on the four hubs, making reference to Harbor Freight (HF) selling torque wrenches cheaply at around $20. The $20 was exactly correct. And for those that are familiar with HF, they constantly have discount coupons on certain items; however, quality wrenches are not chosen items usually.

However, for those of you that insure your Kappas with Hagerty Insurance and are receiving their new magazine subscription, check the last pages of the recent magazine from Hagerty for HF coupons. The photo below is a dial-able torque wrench for $9.99 with coupon. I bought two (2) torque wrenches for $20, for both (have two places, summer and winter). Having an inexpensive torque wrench will probably find me checking those hubs routinely. Last summer I paid my local shop some $40 just to check the SKY’s hub bolts….ease of mind expense, LOL.

Another major alert from the mntc class was treating all the rubber gaskets on the doors, top, trunk, etc. with di-electric grease. An absolute must-do on our cars if you want them to seal, etc. and do their job. Plus you will play hell, for the most part, finding and purchasing new rubber gaskets/seals even today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-04 19.16.47.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	102799  
marlboromike likes this.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I had that very torque wrench. It was used intermittently for about a year before it failed and was thrown away.

Caveat emptor.

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
I had that very torque wrench. It was used intermittently for about a year before it failed and was thrown away.

Caveat emptor.
Maybe I'm lucky to have gotten two units for the full price of one. Looks like I'm only good for two years. Actually, I'm going to bet you just had bad luck. Rob will probably tell us his unit has lasted for years.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
LOL
I have torque wrenches. Everything from inch ounces to a 300 ft pound big boy. I tend to buy the best I can afford so they will last and return accuracy. But any torque wrench is better than none. :-)
44thSKY likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
The Harbor Freight torque wrenches continually test well against other options:

Torquing - Testing Torque Wrenches - Four Wheeler Magazine
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Surprisingly good results from the HF torque wrench.

I hope everyone pays attention to the advice at the end of the article to reduce the setting on your wrench to the minimum after every use. The best way to turn a very nice torque wrench into an over-weight ratchet is to leave it set above the minimum.
44thSKY likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
I had a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench last for about 12 years. Picked up a new one from them when it went. Can't be happier.

I don't know if it was covered by Rob at nationals, but I HIGHLY suggest if you run sticky tires AND drive somewhat aggressively on technical roads...or autocross/track your Kappa...to apply a small amount of blue (non-permanent) thread lock to those hub bolts. For whatever reason, GM didn't call for any thread lock on these bolts but the problem doesn't seem to present itself unless you have some fairly good tires and push the car fairly regularly.

I had my first car for a year and my current Sky for about 2 years without a problem. I even autocrossed it for a season without issue on inexpensive all season radial tires. However, when I switched over to some good extreme summer tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs), drove one or two twisty roads, and did one autocross session on them, I was stunned to find my left front hub had one slightly loose bolt, one bolt backed half way out, and the third bolt totally missing.

After getting a new bolt for the missing bolt, all the hubs had each of these bolts removed one at a time (to maintain hub position...not critical but it calmed my OCD), cleaned the bolts and the holes with brake cleaner, let it dry, then applied blue thread lock, reinstalled the bolt, and torqued to spec. I have had no issues since and when I went to replace a couple hubs all the bolts were secure but came out with minimal fuss.
VinnieRL likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
After getting a new bolt for the missing bolt, all the hubs had each of these bolts removed one at a time (to maintain hub position...not critical but it calmed my OCD), cleaned the bolts and the holes with brake cleaner, let it dry, then applied blue thread lock, reinstalled the bolt, and torqued to spec. I have had no issues since and when I went to replace a couple hubs all the bolts were secure but came out with minimal fuss.
Thanks for the tip on the blue threadlock. Do you happen to know the torque spec?

2008 Red Line
Five speed
Chrome wheels
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Thanks for the tip on the blue threadlock. I'm going to do this check/tighten when I have it up for the cat and exhaust. Do you happen to know the torque spec?

2008 Red Line
Five speed
Chrome wheels
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
Thanks for the tip on the blue threadlock. I'm going to do this check/tighten when I have it up for the cat and exhaust. Do you happen to know the torque spec?
I'm not certain but I want to say 86 ft/lbs...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in