Saturn Sky Forum banner

Tires or Beating a dead horse.....

8K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  LAC Sky 
#1 ·
I hate doing this but I have read almost every gosh darn thread there is about tires and my head HURTS and my eyes are bleeding. Is there any consensus in regards to all season tires? Not looking to auto-cross or drag race. I'm just looking for a set of marginally grippie yet quiet riding comfortable tires. I will be leaving the traction control button alone for the most part as I have a CDL to protect. Any violation I receive, whether in my personal car or my 18 wheeler gets reported to my employer and they in turn report it to The Man which effects my CSA score. Plus I've really tamed down since my Mustang days.

In the past I really liked the ride of the Nitto 555's on the stang as well as the Kumho Ecsta but those are both "back in the day" and tire technology has surely evolved.

Any help appreciated. Plus I tried to not be too wordy here but I have the original Goodyear F1 GS2 on my Red Line.

#43 ·
I knew most would not get it, but figured you would. She gets 10K out of a set of tires, no matter the level, brand or mileage guarantee. She is a favorite customer of America's Tire in Hemet, no question.

Off to train, 50 mile road bike ride and 10 mile Kayak loop at Lake Perris. Supposed to be close to 100 today. What fun!!!

#45 ·
I picked up a set of BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S all seasons a month ago from Costco and am pleased thus far. They were the #2 rated tire on tirerack for performance all season - second to a michelin which was not available from Costco in the Sky Speed Rating.

#52 ·
Just looked Costco seems to have a really good price on these.

I'll be doing tires in the Spring.. Will see whats available then and compare Discount Tire and Costco. Typically DT will match.

#46 ·
Took her 2013 Volt in at end of lease, 32K, had to put the 4th set on it before turn in.

We live on a mountain road, with a lot of turns and twists. She drives very fast at all times. Too fast for me. I am just glad she does not want to drive the Mallett. She did drive the yellow car in Ouray, and now wants the Bridgestones on her Green car. I bought new Michelins Pilot SS's about 6 months ago for her car. Which I hate, and now that she has compared the two in actual driving, she is not happy with them either. Maybe a used set of Michelins for sale soon.

A little concerned about the Bridgestones going to Colorado. Can get rain there and a lot of it. These are not supposed to work well in the rain. Living in drought torn California, it is not something I concern myself with currently. May just have to spend some extra time in Ouray. Man I would hate that!!! Not true.

#57 ·
Perilli P Zero A/S+ Review

I have been having mixed feelings about this tire lately. It's been a very good tire so far. I have been out in the rain a few times and wet weather traction (as far as I will push things in the rain) has been very nice. The hitch in the get along has been straight line traction. In stock tune I feel no spin whatsoever (T/C off). It's when I turn on the Trifecta that it gets questionable. I know I can turn the TC on when in Trifecta mode but I think by having the TC off I get more out of the Trifecta tune. I know it's an all season tire so I'm cutting it a lot of slack. I feel confident that I would have had similar experiences with Michelin or any other A/S tire.

I will not be expecting to achieve the advertised mileage for this tire...haha

#58 ·
Have you experimented with different pressures? With the Michelin's I get the best results at 32. With the recent cooler weather I went out last week at 28 and could really feel the grooves in the pavement. I first drove on them at the 35 the tire guys inflated them to and they were really loose.

I would try a lower pressure if you haven't already.

#59 ·
I actually went from 34 to 32 and now 28PSI but it was for ride comfort/quality. At 28PSI and an ambient temp in the high 90's to near 100's the tire pressure would increase to around 31PSI. But as of late the temps are in the mid 80's and the tire pressure remains below 30 or the most part.

#60 ·
With my recent drive this past weekend, I noticed the same thing about tires performance and rain traction, with the pressure being on the low side. The outside temps here are dropping. Spend most of the weekend in cooler temps, and the car rode good, but not great. The old tires, came up to temp quickly, 32-34 psi and rode like rocks. I knew what to expect from them. No rain traction due to their age. After I changed over to the AS tires, they ride good, but are slow on temp/psi for even a long hwy. cruise. Granted it is not, August or early Sept. heat wise around here either. At 26/27 psi now, have to bump them to 30-32 for me at least, for a better road feel and grip traction. Rain is rain, and I don't go too fast in it. Cruise and holding the curve, and stopping! Yeah that might be important don't you think?

When the new tires went on in AUG. I was not sure what to expect from them. To use to the old ones I guess. Anyway the kid who did them had them pumped up to like 36/37 psi, and I changed that down to 32. Went to put air in them this Sat. ( the pump and gauge were broke ) saw in the DIC that they were low psi wise. Been more than a month since I checked them so I knew they were low, and the ride was soft. Easy on my back and butt, they were not up for aggressive maneuvering around the twisty sections. Have to pump them up for cooler weather here that is approaching fast. Heat came on again. For hwy. cruising for a couple of hours, you should be up in psi 34 maybe? Some owners like lower, some high in their feel about the ride and traction. Each brand MFG. and their models vary, as does the performance and prices. I knew the tires were old on my car, and changing them out came with buying it. Big expense but it is the one thing that changes your car right away. I have gotten use to the new set on my car. I feel safer with new tread under the car. Old tires and batteries, worn belts and hoses, even brake pads can give you headaches. Tire pressure and wear and tear, rotation and balancing, maybe an alignment for smooth running on the roadways, comes with the territory. Better MPG and rolling along the roadways. Don't want anything to get in the way of the permagrin!

LAC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.