Tires: Lifting the 2007 Redline - Page 15 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
I too like a bit of empirical data to back up choices. Your time spent in this reassurance is much appreciated. Thank you.
Glad it helped. Tires are clearly not an exact science, but I also like having a direction for my approximations and other guesswork.

Quote:
Corvair... my first car. Loved that bench seat and dash shifter. Called it the Red Bomb. Put glass packs on it for that truly obnoxious race car sound... 0 to 60 in 2 days flat. Lol.

Odd you mentioned the tire pressure... I never knew it was different for the rear engine drive. Ran all 4 tires at 32. Lol.

Ralph Nader did that car in but good... something about exploding fuel tanks if I remember. Humm... my car ended up aptly named.
I think that the problem with the Corvair was stability, as the heavy rear engine made it really easy to spin. Nader's book, if I recall, was titled "Unsafe at Any Speed".
The car that had the exploding fuel tank was the Ford Pinto if it was involved in a rear-end collision.

A friend of mine built what was called a Corv-eight by putting a small block in the back seat of a Corvair along with a ZF transaxle. Wicked fast and very driveable.
The engine cover was made from old suitcase bolted together and hollowed-out, so it looked like the back seat was full of luggage. It was a total sleeper.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 12-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.
post #212 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Glad it helped. Tires are clearly not an exact science, but I also like having a direction for my approximations and other guesswork.

I think that the problem with the Corvair was stability, as the heavy rear engine made it really easy to spin. Nader's book, if I recall, was titled "Unsafe at Any Speed".
The car that had the exploding fuel tank was the Ford Pinto if it was involved in a rear-end collision.

A friend of mine built what was called a Corv-eight by putting a small block in the back seat of a Corvair along with a ZF transaxle. Wicked fast and very driveable.
The engine cover was made from old suitcase bolted together and hollowed-out, so it looked like the back seat was full of luggage. It was a total sleeper.
There was no problem with the Corvair. It still to this day remains the only car the Federal government called safe.

The illusion of a problem came from 2 factors it had oversteer, so if you didn't know how to drive you could get in trouble (there were other cars of that vintage that had the same arrangement) the rear swing arms allowed the wheels to LOOK very tucked under when they got unloaded massively, but it was not an issue.

Nadars book was actually responsible for GM building the car for 2 more years. The Pony cars and America's desire to go bat crazy fast straight instead of a bit slower but holding corner's killed the corvair.

If you want to know more, here is THE corvair forum. Corvair Center :: Corvair Center Forum

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #213 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I think that the problem with the Corvair was stability, as the heavy rear engine made it really easy to spin.
Odd you mentioned that. My mom did spin out on the freeway with me and my little brother in the car. I think the brakes locked up.

I started rebuilding 68 Firebirds in my teens, but still drove the Corvair as it was more fun though not fast.
post #214 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Quote:
Odd you mentioned that. My mom did spin out on the freeway with me and my little brother in the car. I think the brakes locked up.

I started rebuilding 68 Firebirds in my teens, but still drove the Corvair as it was more fun though not fast.

More than likely had the rear tires all inflated to the same level. If you did that the car was very squirrely. Again, properly inflated the car was one of the best probably the best handling American car. The Porsche was probably a better handling car at that time.

But when folks went into to corners to hard or tried to turn to fast, the oversteer would kick that rear end out, instead of the typical breaking free of the front end... Basically it handles like the Corvette of today.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in