Tires: Lifting the 2007 Redline - Page 7 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshines View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
Just bought 4. Did you modify them for the fronts?
No I didn't have to. With all the discussion at the time I thought I was going to have to cut them in order to get the front pucks to fit but it wasn't an issue.

Thanks!

Jim
This is a bit of an afterthought... now that you have the pads, does the jack itself need a special pad too? Do you take the jack top off and use it's flat base only? (Most jack's I've seen have that round claw appearance, which brings this afterthought because that round ridged piece might defeat the special lift point.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copdriver91 View Post
At least you finally made a choice.hope it doesn't take as long to decide on the body shop..
Incidentally, anyone happen to know if a claim for a shop damaging paint causes the vehicle now to be listed as having been in an accident; since it's going through a Discount Tire claims department?
post #93 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
This is a bit of an afterthought... now that you have the pads, does the jack itself need a special pad too? Do you take the jack top off and use it's flat base only? (Most jack's I've seen have that round claw appearance, which brings this afterthought because that round ridged piece might defeat the special lift point.)
You can use the jack as-is, unless it is too tall to fit under the pucks. Actually, the pucks are not needed for lifting with most floor jacks. All three of mine, at least, clear the fender easily, although a little care is needed to ensure that the jack plate is down below the fender before pulling the jack. Using the pucks eliminates that concern, so having them is a good thing if you tend to be careless.
Quote:
Incidentally, anyone happen to know if a claim for a shop damaging paint causes the vehicle now to be listed as having been in an accident; since it's going through a Discount Tire claims department?
It shouldn't, since no police report was filed and no insurance claim was made, but anything is possible. My car was backed into while on the dealer's lot causing a bit more than a paint chip, and that was not reported.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tires

I went to tirerack.com......they explain the different tires, warranties, and noisy or quiet tires. Arizona being dry I have noticed that my tires on our less than desirable roads are very noisy. I have Michelins already that have 35k on them and they are ready for new quite soon. When I bought mine in 2013 they said they were the quietest, not so far that I have found....
post #95 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCAT View Post
I went to tirerack.com......they explain the different tires, warranties, and noisy or quiet tires. Arizona being dry I have noticed that my tires on our less than desirable roads are very noisy. I have Michelins already that have 35k on them and they are ready for new quite soon. When I bought mine in 2013 they said they were the quietest, not so far that I have found....
I've been using the rare free time I have to review tires. It's not easy because reviews sometimes conflict, as with tire noise.

I got really lucky in my Tacoma tire purchase... got Pathfinders... quiet, gas saving, longevity and good in this last rain.

The Sky Redline tire search hasn't gone well for me after Discount Tire chipped my Pristine Redline. The time it takes to get this all taken care of equals the damage and frustration.

I hate body shops. That I have to spend all this extra time I don't have, and the frustration, because some clown was needlessly careless really puts a snake in my boot. I hate body shops, and the paid fix doesn't compensate for anything but parts and labor. Irritation veered me from tire research while I focused on other things.

Now... I have to address it all. Tires first so I don't have a blowout on the way to the body shop (growl).

I'm considering:

CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 245/45R18

Any comments? My prior choices didn't pan out in the noise category; conflicting real life reviews.
post #96 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I will repeat my advice that you re-read all of your tire threads to see what was recommended, then do a forum search for tires to see what may not have been repeated.

One thing to think about is how many reviews came from users of tires in similar size and application to ours? Tire performance on an Escape, Accord, or Rav4 is going to be totally different than on a Sky or Solstice.

Just look at the Goodyear RS-A. It is a great tire on a heavy sedan, but is crap on a Kappa. 99% of the Tire Rack reviews are likely to be a complete waste of time.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #97 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have pictures / comments regarding this tire setup?

sky redline

front 245/45-18 rear 275/40-18
post #98 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I will repeat my advice that you re-read all of your tire threads...

Just look at the Goodyear RS-A. It is a great tire on a heavy sedan, but is crap on a Kappa. 99% of the Tire Rack reviews are likely to be a complete waste of time.
I researched the earlier suggested posts... and the documentation is focused on a different use (rally/performance first). Also, reviews have not factored nor favored the tire in regards to noise.

For instance, a commonly posted tire received great reviews, until owners with greater that 20k miles contributed. Completely different picture.

Your tire rack opinion is confirmed. I still use them as one source (reviews), then combine other real life reviewers for that bigger picture.

Thus far, with regard to comfort and noise, the PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS have consistent favorable reviews.

Soooo... posted here to see if anyone comments rather unfavorably.

I hope to only go through the tire change/expense once every 4 to 5 years, so... the decision has more research.

Once I get the right jack, stands, and my pucks arrive, I'll be in better shape timewise.
post #99 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe we need to have you come up this way @ParakeetJohn and schedule a meetup with myself, @skersfan, and @jgassor since we all have different tires on our cars and you can see what the different road noise from the tires are...of course skersfan and I both have loud ass exhausts on the cars so there's that. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #100 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Maybe we need to have you come up this way @ParakeetJohn and schedule a meetup with myself, @skersfan, and @jgassor since we all have different tires on our cars and you can see what the different road noise from the tires are...of course skersfan and I both have loud ass exhausts on the cars so there's that. LOL
That's very nice of you. I'd like to see your jack & stand setup. I wish I did this myself from the get go.

But alas, I'd be taking my truck down there... knowing these tires are 11 years old or more... I may have already pushed my luck going to Temecula that one time

This was going to be my day to get tires... but my mom needed some work done on her home. Lost the day.

Next day off is Saturday, and I have a broken irrigation line to hunt down. And.... I still have to waste a day for Discount Tire damage.

Time really is my enemy.

Maybe we can all get together after Christmas.. lol.
post #101 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Time always is tight around the holidays. I hope it goes by fast though only because I'm doing major work mid January.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #102 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

The Michelin site lists what appears to be the same spec type tire 3x... when using the compare function. I know there must be differences due to the XL and such, but not sure how it affects ride.
Tires: Lifting the 2007 Redline-smartselect_20181206-114520_duckduckgo_1544125737194.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20181206-114506_DuckDuckGo_1544125854004.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	103579   Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20181206-114449_DuckDuckGo_1544125910676.jpg
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	103581   Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20181206-114438_DuckDuckGo_1544125923982.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	103583  
post #103 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Tires: Want Quiet Sport comfort

Tires have a lot of symbols... I wonder how the ride is affected by XL and non XL?
post #104 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quiet Tires: 2007 Redline

Vredestein Quatrac 5... seem to be getting good reviews everywhere. Most other tire reviews conflict site to site... especially concerning road noise and wear. The best summer sport tires have mixed reviews, everywhere, especially with unbearable road noise when worn and short tread life. The All-Season seem to offer the comfort/quiet/tread life side of things, even adding a bit of performance. Granted, they give up a bit concerning taking that 35 mph corner at 60 mph, but I don't (generally) do that anyway. Stopping distance are good too.

Ratings are much higher than the other reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181207-084432_Samsung Internet_1544201087074.jpg
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	103585  
post #105 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quiet/Comfortable/Tread Life: Tires: 2007 Redline

Tires: Lifting the 2007 Redline-screenshot_20181207-084801_samsung-internet_1544201370925.jpg
XL 400 A A 100Y Gobbledegook.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in