Tires for Redline SUMMER ONLY Suggestions - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchao View Post
Riken Raptor Z

RIKEN by Michelin
RAPTOR ZRUltra High Performance Summer

Size: 245/45ZR18 96W
UTQG: 300 AA A

Qty:
Per Tire: $84.91

Installed early summer and very happy with performance.
Very quiet and sticky on cornering.
For the money, you cannot go wrong...
Nice looking tire! Incredible price
SaturnSkyDude likes this.

2007 Onyx Sky Roadster 40K
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msotimp View Post
Just installed P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 245/45R18
The review on tirerack was accurate and worth watching the vid. I'm so impressed that there is no road noise and extremely comfortable. The car has been transformed but to be fair this is the first replacement of the originals. Super grippy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJinNY View Post
Even at tire rack they are still at $175 ea BEFORE shipping and mounting,

I hope they come with a babe and a 6 pack
When it comes to these kinds of tires, you get what you pay for. I run Potenza RE-71Rs which are THE autocross tire to have. They are intcreadibly grippy and some of the fastest tires on course. The P Zeros are a fine choice as well and generally just below the Potenzas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchao View Post
Riken Raptor Z

RIKEN by Michelin
RAPTOR ZRUltra High Performance Summer

Size: 245/45ZR18 96W
UTQG: 300 AA A

Qty:
Per Tire: $84.91

Installed early summer and very happy with performance.
Very quiet and sticky on cornering.
For the money, you cannot go wrong...
These are new to market and I would love to hear how they wear. Money wise they're great and I would consider them for daily drivers if they wear 20k miles or so. I know they are still not quite at the level of the more expensive name brands when it comes to outright wet and dry performance if you ask the most out of your tires but for the money if they wear right and have no bad traits for long term use I'd have a set for daily driving.
HORNET1 likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Garage
Are you going to use the tires for summer driving. Meaning hot burning sun, very little rain?

I have been looking at the Autocross forums on tires used, you know what is missing? Michelin Super Sports are not listed in the top ten on any list I have found. Nor are the new edition ones.

I have said it before, really isn't a comparison between the RE71R' and the Pilot SS for summer performance tires. It really isn't even close. If you want traction and grip the Bridgestones will give you all you can demand, now wear , I really can not comment on that at this point. I know Robo has put quite a few miles on his, plus the races he attends, and I know he is not easy on his stuff. So his comments on mileage should be taken lightly. He drives harder than most of us I think.

Hottest Autocross Tires for 2016 - Technical Discussion - Autocross.US Forums
tallcraig likes this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
While you can run slalom tires on the street (and it is legal to do so), the cost is that they wear considerably more quickly. Wear index on the PSS is 300 and on the RE71R, 200.

No street tire with decent wear qualities will win solo events nor will they appear in comparison tests of that class of tire. You are comparing apples and oranges. The correct comparison is between the RE71R and the Michelin Sport Cup 2, also a streetable tire that will wear more quickly.

How well the Sport Cup 2 does or doesn't do against the Bridgestone in solo competition has no bearing on the PSS for street work. The Sport Cup 2 is really not well suited to street use and don't warm up quickly - probably very difficult on the street in cooler climates. Can't comment on that aspect of the Bridgestones.

PS - getting tires for old cars is even worse than for modern models. In vintage racing we used to use racing recaps - they banned them. We went to Goodrich Comp TA R1 (perhaps the first race tirre legal on the street?) but they discontinued them. Today the hot tire is Nitto NT01 (wear index = 100) described as DOT compliant. Narrowest size for my cars are 205/50ZR15 which can be fitted on my rim size - just. Life sucks for some old sports car owners - sizes like those for Lamborghini Countach (a guy I know runs one) of 345x35ZR-15 were not made again until quite recently.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 08-30-2017 at 12:08 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Agree with wspohn here. If grip in warm dry weather is your only yardstick for tire selection, then currently the RE-71Rs are the ticket. I ran them for a year to see how they would do and after about 20K miles, they're done. I'm on the wear bars but they are not bald. My cheap Chinese tires didn't last this long. They were bald at this point.

The PSS and their replacement are meant to be a longer lasting higher performance tire. Not quite the Autocross demon the RE-71R is but pretty close and better suited for everyday use. They were tested against the RE-71Rs and found to be just behind them in performance...but just barely. Enough to matter on the track, probably not enough to matter on the street with some exceptions.

I ran the RE-71Rs daily because I could only afford one set of tires at the time. (Skersfan has helped changed that with a set of Goodyear Eagles he had laying around. Thank you sir.) This season I'll have a set of RE-71Rs dedicated to race days and the Eagles will be my dailies. Yes, I know, people hate the Eagles but they're still better than my cheap Chinese tires I had. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Garage
OP requested information on just summer tires. So I asked, baking sun, little rain.

Mine are lasting fine I think. I expect to get 25-30K out of them, but according to Robo, when they start to wear, they do wear at a quicker pace. He got 20K out of his.

No one that I remember has listed wear index was set. Just what was the best summer tire. I drive them back to back on occasion and it is not close, not even remotely close. I also drove them from SoCal to Gunnison, Colorado in a monsoon situation. I was terribly worried about the wet weather action of the tire. I never had a problem, no hydro planning. And hooked up great

After reading the article, the guy said they were better than any all season tire he had driven in the rain. These are fantastic tires, they cost about as much as the Michelins but for summer driving, really much better. They work well at warm temperatures, but get below 50, they become hard and rough. I seldom have to drive in that kind of weather so they are perfect for me.

I put a set of these on the Mallett, larger than stock and they have calmed the beast down considerably. I honestly would not drive it with the PSS on it.

These will make you feel safer in the car, but they will also make you test yourself and your car's limits. You get the feeling there isn't a corner you can not fly thru. Maybe not so good idea all the time.

I will not buy anything else until it is proven that something is better or comparative.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
OP here. Cant say baking sun, little rain all year. SW Florida so showers in summer (not driving car much during showers) and warm weather many months. No prolonged cold weather and car is no daily driver (nice weather only!). The Indy 500 we went with has good wet traction just in case...

Ill report back throughout the year on performance.

Mike
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HORNET1, is that tire combination on stock wheels? I had thought about going wider in the rear but wasn't sure of clearance issues.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Tires

How do you like the BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 tires>
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetybird View Post
How do you like the BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 tires>
A very good second choice - not as good as the PSS but very good on their own. Would satisfy 95% of drivers out there. I put them on my Z4MC.
Tweetybird likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Still like my RE-11ís but donít race, and they are out of production.
From outside reviews RE-71Rís are the ticket for racing, but the 11ís are close, last longer, and better in the cold and rain than I expected. They are a bit heavy. Happy I got them before discontinued.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyDude View Post
Looks like a great tire and a great price. Today I had my MPSS installed and took the car for a drive. I was extremely impressed. The ride was smooth and quiet and in the turns the car felt like it was on rails.
I had a set of BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2-AS installed on mine today.
245/45 Front
275/40 Rear
You might not be around any more, but... was the rear lower than the front with that config?
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
You might not be around any more, but... was the rear lower than the front with that config?
Front: 245x0.45=110.25
Rear: 275x0.40=110.00

So the front would be 0.25mm higher than the rear. Probably not enough to really bother most people.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParakeetJohn View Post
Front: 245x0.45=110.25
Rear: 275x0.40=110.00

So the front would be 0.25mm higher than the rear. Probably not enough to really bother most people.
Thank you. I wonder if the aesthetic composed look makes it all worth while? Do you get more road rash behind the rear wheels?
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
In my opinion staggered tires are not worth messing with, but aesthetics are not my primary concern.
>Because you can't rotate you will likely wear one pair out faster than the other. I prefer to change out a complete set together.
>Depending on the tire you can half-rotate by reversing them on the wheels, but it is a lot of effort and only partially successful.
>You need two spares, assuming that you want to keep a spare in the garage.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in