TPMS issues - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
TPMS issues

Hey everyone! Since I bought my car the SVC TIRE MONITOR light has always come on. I chalked it up to dead batteries in the TPMS. Well I bought new tires and wheels and tried to sync them but couldn't get it to work. Looked at the forums, had the dealer reflash the RDCLR according to the bulletin. Now I can complete the entire relearn sequence successfully, however I still get the error and nothing shows under the pressures. I feel like this is a step in the right direction but not home yet. Oh also, I can complete the learning sequence with my original wheels as well, so those batteries are still good :-D just no readout
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Garage
First, welcome to the forum.

As for your issue, neither of my 2007s Sky's had the feature so maybe one of our resident electronics guys like @TomatoSoup may be able to assist you...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
You need to find out which Diagnostic Trouble Code is set.

It could be that the sensors are not actually being learned, or the RCDLR may not have been set up properly. It is also possible that the RCDLR has failed.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:42 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
The 2006 (07) Skys came with a lot less computer parts. LESS IS MORE.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 PM
ZPM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
I ran into this today and, after some time with my Tech II, have a theory. My starter battery was dead so I changed it. A few times in the past I'd killed the battery and ended up having to relearn the TPMS. This time I saw -- but also the tire warning lamp was on, and SVC TIRE MONITOR displayed.

I tried pressing both FOB buttons to relearn but found the FOBs needed to be rejoined. I did that, then pressed both buttons and it honked twice. I let all the air out of the LF tire and it wouldn't proceed to the next wheel. Timed out on the learn. I got into Tech II's menu to run the learn process and it said I had to first input recommended tire pressures into the module. Hmmm....I went to that screen and I input P-metric as the "load" and 34 PSI as the pressure for the front and rear tires as pairs. I think this is the offset reference for when the dash knows to display a low pressure warning lamp. I don't know what the offset is, maybe 10PSI? Anyhow, seems you have to set this for the customer or you can't run the TPMS learn. After putting in the recommended pressures I was able to run Learn from Tech II. Same procedure, double honk and let all the air out of the LF tire (where the turn signal was lit). Still, no learn.

OK, the tires are original, making the sending batteries 10 years old. The LF probably happened to be the one that died first. Preventing me from even checking the other tire senders.

I found a DTC set (C0775) on the RCDLR module specifically saying that the TPMS has not been learned. I think this is what's causing the low pressure lamp to come on, and for the SVC TIRE MONITOR to display. I cleared the DTC but it immediately reset saying I had "not run" the car since the last clearing and that it had failed the test again.

I think this is as far as I can go with this until I can get the tires changed and the sending unit batteries updated.

2008 Redline powered by a zero point module
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 PM

There is a known problem with some cars losing system programming when power is lost, and there is a TSB to download a new program. If yours has this problem the Tech2 can't fix it unless you subscribe to (I think) TIS2WEB so that you can use the Tech2 in passthrough mode to reprogram the module. The updated program eliminates the issue permanently so it won't have to be done again.

John
Lexington, KY
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
There is a known problem with some cars losing system programming when power is lost, and there is a TSB to download a new program. If yours has this problem the Tech2 can't fix it unless you subscribe to (I think) TIS2WEB so that you can use the Tech2 in passthrough mode to reprogram the module. The updated program eliminates the issue permanently so it won't have to be done again.
Is this issue limited to a certain year(s) or manufactured time period? Asking because I have the same problem.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
Is this issue limited to a certain year(s) or manufactured time period? Asking because I have the same problem.
The TSB addresses 2008 model year cars. The RCDLR loses it's programming if the car loses power, as in a battery change. The RCDLR needs to be reprogrammed. Once reprogrammed it should be good even if it loses power.

Download the attached file, print it out, take it to your dealer.

Good Luck!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB_08-03-16-001B_TPMS-Remote_Learning_Issues.pdf (149.9 KB, 27 views)
Sky_Pilot likes this.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
The TSB addresses 2008 model year cars. The RCDLR loses it's programming if the car loses power, as in a battery change. The RCDLR needs to be reprogrammed. Once reprogrammed it should be good even if it loses power.

Download the attached file, print it out, take it to your dealer.

Good Luck!

Good to know, since mine's a 2008. Thanks for the TSB too!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 PM
ZPM

Garage
Thanks for the info!

I've registered myself on TIS2Web and believe the subscription in the picture is what I need.

Can someone give me an idea of how this works before I get started? For example, do I download an image file from TIS2Web to my PC, then transfer it to my Tech 2 for programming. In this case, I'd expect an accompanying Windows application that would identify the Tech 2 connected to the PC and manage the image transfer to it.

Or, does the Tech 2 end up connected to the PC, which provides an internet path to TIS2Web? In this case, I'd expect the TIS2Web to run a (Java) program from the web browser to identify the attached Tech 2, and connect it to TIS2Web. (I noticed the requirements calls for 32-bit Java on the PC)

Finally, once I buy the subscription how difficult is it to identify the programming module that I need to correct this problem? Is it by TSB number, a drill-down menu, a list of verbal descriptions, etc.?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	104039  

Last edited by ZPM; 01-23-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:16 PM
ZPM

Garage
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=53fho7l7yxI

This told me what I needed to know. Same concept as any firmware upgrade. I'll report back once I get this done then start looking into doing the stage 1 turbo upgrade. Figure I can buy the sensors and just do the flashing myself. I saw a thread on the sensors being under $100 for both somewhere. Need to dig that up again.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:06 PM

No reason that you can't do it yourself as long as you have a subscription to TIS2WEB. In addition, you will have to pay for the turbo upgrade separately.

Keep in mind that any communications loss during the flash can brick the module you are flashing. If your Tech2 is a clone there is a not insignificant risk.

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:09 PM
ZPM

Garage
Reprogramming went well! The DTC vanished and I'm able to execute the learn procedure once again. This site was a big help start [TECH2WIKI.COM] It resolved the fact that the USB-to-RS232 adapter I had wasn't working. I went ahead and bought the recommended Tripp-lite and it worked great.

I saw a bunch of updates in Tis2Web providing fixes for various things I don't have trouble with so I'm going to leave them alone. The "patch" I applied to fix the TPMS stated that it should be used only to address the Technical Service Bulletin. I imagine the others may say the same.

JohnWR, you're right, I didn't see the turbo upgrade in there. Would you happen to know what service I'd buy on the TDS website to access that? https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/home

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:12 PM

Glad your reprogramming went well. I do not know what to look for, or even if it is there, but I attached the GM instructions. It lists several part numbers for "Calibrations" that vary based on how your car is equipped. That may be the place to start looking.

It looks like there is a new part number: Chevrolet Performance Stage Kit 19369111

FYI: The pdf is pages 1-5 of 15, but the other 10 pages are the same instructions in Spanish and French.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 19212670_instructions.pdf (257.2 KB, 10 views)

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 01-28-2019 at 08:17 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:24 PM
ZPM

Garage
Thanks for all the info!

I can get the sensors and pre-made cables for them. I don't see part #1265952 (calibration file) anywhere in my Tis2Web subscription. I don't see any other products I can buy that might give it to me either. I'm willing to buy the kit and let a dealer do it but prefer to do it myself. Cost advantage aside, I'm an old embedded vehicle systems developer (Vetronix, MOT:OnStar) and have fewer problems doing things myself, I've noticed. In fact, I might prefer to go with Trifecta if I can't, or even leave the car unchanged.

I found a thread on this that was still active as of last year and asked there if anyone knows how dealers (or I can) do the calibration programming:
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...7/index43.html

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in