Saturn Sky Forum banner

Corvette Sky Coming! [probable rumor]

13K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  marlboromike 
#1 · (Edited)

Earlier this year, Motor Trend reported on a new V6-powered Corvette it dubbed the Sting Ray, which was reportedly in deep cover. Powered by a version of the Impala's 3.9-liter V6, the Kappa-platform roadster in development was reported to be Chevy's own version of the Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice. Now, dealer Rick "Corvette" Conti says the V6 'Vette is closer than we think, but won't be named "Sting Ray."I hear the car is to be a 6 speed auto with $$$ tag of $29,900 - out sometime in 2008...more soon and who knows what Detroit Auto Show will bring us in January...

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/gossip/coming-soon-v6-corvette-207918.php

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It will never Happen.
The stingray will be Faster than the Z06.

From afar this Vette would appear to be just another Z06. Now rub your eyes and take a closer look, because these are the first spy shots of the highly anticipated, but yet unnamed super Corvette. The large hood bulge you see is rumored to be concealing a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8, and packing upwards of 650 horsepower. This engine will likely use an integrated intake-manifold intercooler and should sprint from 0 to 60 mph in less than 3.4 seconds. And, with the addition of more carbon fiber in the body and expanded use of polycarbonates, this super Vette could weigh less than the current Z06.

GM’s Performance Center in Wixom, Michigan will likely produce the powerplant, but expect only about 1500–2000 copies annually. Initially called the Blue Devil, there has been much speculation in the past several months about the name for this super Z06. Recently we hear that GM has scrapped the Blue Devil name in favor of Corvette SS (we hope not), Z07, or even reviving the Stingray nameplate. Whatever the name may be, expect this beast to carry a sticker around the $100,000 mark, which is by far the cheapest way to get 650 hp in a production car

#3 ·
I feel that two Kappa cars is enough for GM (well in the US at least - 4 total I suppose if you count the Daewoo and Opel)

Though it would be nice to share the lineage with the Corvette, I think we stole enough lines from the original Sting Ray to not give any back.

#5 ·
GM indicated 5 Kappa cars when they changed the Wilmington Plant to Kappa

Brothers and Sisters,
Chairman Gagnon, President Myers, and Boxwood Rd. plant manager Dennis Dougherty announced that the General Motors, Boxwood Rd. facility has been approved by the General Motors Board of Directors to build the all new Saturn 2 seater. The Saturn 2 seater will be built in conjunction with the Pontiac Solstice.
The Saturn 2 seater is the second of an estimated 5 cars that could be built on the "KAPA" platform. Production is scheduled to begin for the Saturn 2 seater model year 2006.
General motors management also announced that production of the Saturn L series mid size car that is presently built at the Wilmington facility will stop in the mid June to July 2, 2004 time frame.
The Shop Committee of Local 435 will do it's best to keep everyone informed of schedules and happenings as they unfold.
Joe Riccio
Shop Committee
UAW Local 435

http://members.aol.com/ronsruaw48/websiteuawa_002.htm

Solstice, SKY, Opel, Daewoo and perhaps the Chevrolet

Will the Chevrolet be a roadster with a V-6 or a Nomad with a hardtop….?

#4 ·
Well, we still can have a Kappa just as fast as that Super Vette like this one Hot Rod Mag Made:

Check out the LS7 Solstice with 600 hp that goes 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, blazes through a slalom at 75 mph, brakes from 60-0 in 95 feet, AND does 10.9 in the 1/4 mile..." And still 2880 lbs and 52/48 front-to-rear weight distribution.

No Trunk Space, but Who Cares:

2880 lbs

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/hdrp_0607_ls7_pontiac_solstice_road_test/

#34 ·
Well, we still can have a Kappa just as fast as that Super Vette like this one Hot Rod Mag Made:

Check out the LS7 Solstice with 600 hp that goes 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, blazes through a slalom at 75 mph, brakes from 60-0 in 95 feet, AND does 10.9 in the 1/4 mile..." And still 2880 lbs and 52/48 front-to-rear weight distribution.

No Trunk Space, but Who Cares:

2880 lbs

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/hdrp_0607_ls7_pontiac_solstice_road_test/

DAMN!!!!
GM performance could make these for less than what it cost to make a Z06, and sell it for three times as much.

#13 ·
i would like to see a V6 or I5 kappa. maybe a 3.9 like in the impala or something from a trailblazer. any thoughts?

#15 ·
Three Words!!!

Get a Mallett!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
I'll take a mallet if your buying
HEY!!!! If I'm buying, I am KEEPING!!! Nothing personal. I had a passenger ride in a modified Subaru WRX sti that was cranked up a few stages, and if a Mallett is ANYTHING like that I WOULDN'T SHARE IT WITH MY MOTHER, BEST FRIEND, OR ANYBODY ELSE!!!! WAY to much fun.

#19 ·
Okay folks, as someone who has owned a Vette for 14 years and recently picked up a second one, I can tell you I have been watching the Corvette forums and magazines. Cheverolet has said it will not build a "baby Vette" as they are interested in being America's Sportscar. And by that, they mean high performance. They are not going to make a V6 "entry level", nor smaller bodied Vette. Chevy's entry level sportscar was and will soon be again the Camaro.:thumbs:

#20 ·
Cheverolet has said it will not build a "baby Vette" as they are interested in being America's Sportscar. And by that, they mean high performance. They are not going to make a V6 "entry level", nor smaller bodied Vette. Chevy's entry level sportscar was and will soon be again the Camaro.
Exactly. They should only look upward, not downward. If there are more Kappas anytime soon, they will be coupes (IMHO).

#23 ·
Never. There I said it. :D

Never... on the current Kappa platform. The current platform does now accommodate I5/V6/I6/V8 engines without a good deal of modification. Cars like the Mallett require a good bit of modification and have clearance levels that GM would not permit on production level cars. Who knows, if the car is popular enough and we get a K2, maybe that car will have larger engines in mind. I personally would rather see even more powerful i4 engines.

#28 ·
The current platform does now accommodate I5/V6/I6/V8 engines without a good deal of modification. Cars like the Mallett require a good bit of modification and have clearance levels that GM would not permit on production level cars.

If I can fit a GM 60* OHV V6 in my 1990 miata without modifying the K-member or the firewall, GM can make one fit in the Kappa. That engine family is amazingly compact! I'll take a 3.9L version with variable cam timing in my "mini-vette" please.

#24 ·
A next gen idea could be very possible idea if GM determines the Kappa platform has been fruitful enough to make another version. The first iteration was really a "will it really sell" type it seems. Also to keep the prices as low as possible we all know we ended up with the Mayan temple instead of a Z4/Corvette style tank that are pretty expensive.

From the people I've talked to that was a rumor.
Have you changed your mind since this post..?

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8395

#26 ·
Which part in particular do you mean?

I still believe the current car will more then likely never see anything but an i4 engine in it, and we probably wont ever see any radical variants off of it besides other 2 seat roadsters. If there are going to be radically different cars with different sized engines it wont be till a K2 is made, if GM decides to make one.

#40 ·
Thats a rip. You can get a Mallett LS-7 conversion for 53K and that includes a 6-speed transmission with custom drive and half shafts.

#42 ·
Not going to happen

Chevy once tried to update the technology in the Vette to a dual over head cam motor (ZR-1) and heard nothing but outrage from the Corvette Club. They simply won't allow anything but old tech or "traditional" Vette features. My uncle owns 3 Vettes and he told me you can count on a few things in every Vette: push-rod V8, round tail lights, and leaf spring suspension.

As much as I'd like to see the Vette have 2007 technology in it, like dual overhead cam motors, double wish bone suspension, variable valve timing, all wheel drive, turbo, direct injection, etc it wouldn't fly, its too expensive to build a car like that, GM would rather make it affordable and employ gimicks like "skip shift" to help it get 2007 gas milage.

#43 ·
Chevy once tried to update the technology in the Vette to a dual over head cam motor (ZR-1) and heard nothing but outrage from the Corvette Club. They simply won't allow anything but old tech or "traditional" Vette features. My uncle owns 3 Vettes and he told me you can count on a few things in every Vette: push-rod V8, round tail lights, and leaf spring suspension.

As much as I'd like to see the Vette have 2007 technology in it, like dual overhead cam motors, double wish bone suspension, variable valve timing, all wheel drive, turbo, direct injection, etc it wouldn't fly, its too expensive to build a car like that, GM would rather make it affordable and employ gimicks like "skip shift" to help it get 2007 gas milage.
Ummm... the suspension in the Corvette IS a double wishbone fully independent suspension. Looks a helluva lot like a Solstice or S2000...
Funny I don't recall seeing leaf springs on my Vette.:D As for building a car like "that", stick around because in '09 you will be seeing some new additions to the "push rod" V8.:lol:
Well - they aren't 'leaf' springs, but they are composite 'analoges' of a leaf spring. You certainly don't have coil springs in your 'Vette...

#45 ·
Solstice Z06 is just wicked

I wonder how much they spent to get that Soltice with the Z06 in it ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.