employee's to buy willmington plant - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky/KAPPA Rumors, Gossip, Scuttlebutt, Hearsay and Speculation The place to discuss rumors, upcoming info leaks, spy photos, unconfirmed tidbits, and be a general "net-detective"

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Oggi View Post
French transmission?????????????????
Only goes in reverse!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc777 View Post
Let me google that for you
So again just a statement that "GMI has been told that when the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky came to the market, GM was losing around $10,000 per unit built" .. Told by who? Where are the numbers that back up that claim? I'm not saying that they are right and I'm not saying that they are wrong. I'm just saying it does not add up to me is all. At the peak they were running the plant at almost 24X7 to make Kappas ... if really bad business people would not have added two shifts and kept producing cars that lost 10K ... now if you want to talk about a snap shot in time like near the end where demand was low and they were trying to run the line at 4 cars an hour I could see that.

Oh and for the record both you and I know that you can google lots of stuff that is not true.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
French transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky in pdx View Post
Only goes in reverse!
That's agood one, but no.

The 5-spd automatic is produced by GM's Strasbourg facility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
So again just a statement that "GMI has been told that when the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky came to the market, GM was losing around $10,000 per unit built" .. Told by who? .
I just read. But honestly kappa is dead. Why? Because it was loosing money for GM. Since Penske owns the "Saturn and did not continue producing the popular cars the Sky or Pontiacs Solstice. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out WHY! They were LOOSING MONEY. Beyond what has been written in several articals who probably have more credabilty than anyone on this site.

I would think it would be to assume it's TRUE!

GM=Failed.

Saturn=Failed.

Both Facts that cannot be disputed.

The grey area between? Who gives a crap!

07 SKY Redline Silver
  • Red/Black Leather
  • JPM Custom: Dash, Side panels, Shift boot, Center console Red leather
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)

Last edited by compdoc777; 06-19-2009 at 10:32 PM.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc777 View Post
I just read. But honestly kappa is dead. Why? Because it was loosing money for GM. Since Penske owns the "Saturn and did not continue producing the popular cars the Sky or Pontiacs Solstice. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out WHY! They were LOOSING MONEY. Beyond what has been written in several articals who probably have more credabilty than anyone on this site.

I would think it would be to assume it's TRUE!

GM=Failed.

Saturn=Failed.

Both Facts that cannot be disputed.

The grey area between? Who gives a crap!
Dude ... think what you want ... Just don't quote Internet gossip like it is gospel ... what can not be disputed is that GM is in bankruptcy ... everything else is pure speculation on my part and yours ... at least that is how I see it form the cheep seats ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM

Location: Delaware, walking distance from MECCA! soon to be Fisker Auto plant...
Send a message via MSN to Spag Send a message via Yahoo to Spag
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc777
The entire situation is more complicated than how you have presented it.

Speculation such as this does not really serve any purpose - and "shouting out" the same information again without any substantiation does not increase its validity.

Also - not to single anyone out with this - but this is not a good subject for a flame war... We need to be considerate of the many wonderful people who have welcomed us to MECCA year after year.

02.07.05 1st SKY viewing
02.08.05 $ down & on waiting list
10.31.06 SKY Redline delivered!
Spag's Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike
I cannot find mine. I even looked for it in my underwear...nowhere to be found.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:48 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spag View Post

Speculation such as this does not really serve any purpose - and "shouting out" the same information again without any substantiation does not increase its validity.

Also - not to single anyone out with this - but this is not a good subject for a flame war... We need to be considerate of the many wonderful people who have welcomed us to MECCA year after year.
I know a few people at the Fairfax plant. A couple are "in the loop" when the efficiency of a plant comes into question. Simply put, the way GM is structured a production level of 30-40,000 units per year is not profitable at lower price points. Corvette makes enough money to justify its existence because the costs are covered in the higher pricing. Kappa were at least as labor intensive that the number of hands and hours killed the profits. Kappas were always "halo" cars and as such served their purpose, were due to "go away" after the 2010 model run, and even if there was going to be a Kappa II there was no guarantee where it would have been built so Wilmington's "life after Kappa" was always a question.

As for the "flaming" assertion .... bull. The people at Wilmington built the car. They didn't design it, nor did they create the assembly methodology. Cars are only as good as the design and components. What is often not recognized is the assembly line and how it is used is "designed" as well. If the design of the car, choice of components, and the design of the assembly line/methods don't mesh well, you have water leak, diff issue, crappy door handles, sagging seats, etc. A lot of the responsibility for these problems can't be put on the assembly line workers, so if people are critical of some issues with Kappas there is no reason to assume that they are pointed at line workers at Wilmington.

Bottom line, a low production, high content, labor intensive, and modestly priced car being built at a high cost facility with expensive labor is the perfect storm for no profits, ESPECIALLY with a fairly high warranty claim rate. My assertion of "poorly built" is not too far off target because it was almost predictable (reread first two paragraphs for reference) given all that was involved. As a former manager once shared with me, "you are perfectly positioned for the results you have obtained".

Redline (pre-halt), Pearl, Black/Red,
complete option list except auto,
owner installed lock buttons,
painted calipers, SP Catless DP
MagnaFlow 3" single cat-back,
Koni S/A's, Kurt hitch,
18x11 CW's, 315/30 Hoosiers for Solo
other "stuff"
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Location: Delaware, walking distance from MECCA! soon to be Fisker Auto plant...
Send a message via MSN to Spag Send a message via Yahoo to Spag
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
As for the "flaming" assertion .... bull. The people at Wilmington built the car. They didn't design it, nor did they create the assembly methodology. Cars are only as good as the design and components. What is often not recognized is the assembly line and how it is used is "designed" as well. If the design of the car, choice of components, and the design of the assembly line/methods don't mesh well, you have water leak, diff issue, crappy door handles, sagging seats, etc. A lot of the responsibility for these problems can't be put on the assembly line workers, so if people are critical of some issues with Kappas there is no reason to assume that they are pointed at line workers at Wilmington.
We are actually in agreement here. The anti-flaming comment was made as a request for us to be respectful towards those who have assembled our cars. They have made significant efforts to welcome the members of this forum, they have shown us the pride that they have in their work and they have been very responsive to any issues that we have brought to them.

02.07.05 1st SKY viewing
02.08.05 $ down & on waiting list
10.31.06 SKY Redline delivered!
Spag's Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike
I cannot find mine. I even looked for it in my underwear...nowhere to be found.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spag View Post
I think it is quite simple you can't put square pegs in round holes and that is what GM was trying to do.

I don't care who makes the car or who drives it. Its the people at the top making the financial descisions that caused the failure.

07 SKY Redline Silver
  • Red/Black Leather
  • JPM Custom: Dash, Side panels, Shift boot, Center console Red leather
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Unsubscribing this thread.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to DS9Yanks
The compLAINdoc is in. Why do you keep coming here if you hate everything about this car?! Don't have anything better to do with your life?

"Constructicons, merge for the kill!"

Yankees Universe

2008 Sky Redline
midnight blue
manual
spoiler
tinted windows
GMPP LNF Turbo upgrade
tan seats

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Sky/KAPPA Rumors, Gossip, Scuttlebutt, Hearsay and Speculation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in