Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   Sky/KAPPA Rumors, Gossip, Scuttlebutt, Hearsay and Speculation (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Luggage Rack (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f8/luggage-rack-91602/)

krusseck 03-20-2018 09:50 PM

Luggage Rack

Just bought a 2008
Been wanting one for a long time. Wasn't so much concerned with the mileage but rather looking for one owner under 50K miles. Found a real beauty. Now trying to tackle the no room for luggage issue. Any advise on luggage racks or other luggage solutions with he top down?
Thx,
Kal

Gleasonfan 05-12-2019 09:16 PM

I owned a 2007 Sky with the factory luggage rack and spoiler. It actually looked pretty neat. Don't know if you can still get, tho'.

skersfan 05-12-2019 09:36 PM

factory luggage racks are long gone, and if you can find one expect to pay a lot for it. Best looking one by far, but not a very friendly place for luggage. Can't carry much and block the rear view completely.

I may have a double suit case system for sale in another couple of weeks. It is a trailer hitch system with water proof suit cases. I have never used it, or even put it on the car. But it is a clean set up and gives you a lot of luggage capability.

Windancer 05-13-2019 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skersfan (Post 1299005)
factory luggage racks are long gone, and if you can find one expect to pay a lot for it. Best looking one by far, but not a very friendly place for luggage. Can't carry much and block the rear view completely.

Yes I agree they are about as common as hen's teeth. I know I am very satisfied with mine, an alternative version, as was mentioned not as visually friendly as the OEM ones it is a Kappasphere by DDM, but it does impede rear view somewhat and to do it correctly one should put protection on the trunk which if you do remove it the rack you are left with a couple of clear strips running down your trunk. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you do have a factory spoiler you have to be even more careful with the installation. Now having said all that, I know personally I like mine, others may differ.

Terry
:cheers:

JohnWR 05-13-2019 12:05 PM

It is curious that they designed it backwards. The support rail should be to the front and not the back.

Sky By Nite 05-13-2019 12:28 PM

They are reversible. Just a matter of choice.

skersfan 05-13-2019 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I love the OEM luggage rack, but would never put anything on it. More show than go in my opinion.

Windancer 05-13-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedOne07 (Post 1299023)
Or a matter of getting injured in an accident.

Your opinion of which you are certainly entitled to. As was mentioned your choice, there really is no right or wrong answer, it is reversible. I'm certainly not going to enter such a frivolous debate.

Terry

JohnWR 05-13-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windancer (Post 1299039)
Your opinion of which you are certainly entitled to. As was mentioned your choice, there really is no right or wrong answer, it is reversible. I'm certainly not going to enter such a frivolous debate.

Terry

It is only frivolous as long as you are not in a situation where you stop quickly enough to have your luggage break loose from its tie-downs and hit the back of your head. So I hope that it will always be a frivolous debate.

ronlongie 05-15-2019 07:13 PM

I bought the Kappasphere (by DDM) rear luggage rack.
I am very pleased with it. At least I can take some luggage with me on a trip.
Install it carefully. When all mounting is done and tightened, it is very strong and will carry a lot.
There are issues around rear view of other vehicles.
When loaded up, I can (almost) see under mine to see vehicles following.
You will need some rain-proof protection for your luggage. (It's just a rack and weather does whatever it wants)
I have the upward support towards the back. I just thought it made me feel more secure regarding a case sliding off (But that's just me)

Everyone that sees it empty or with luggage all admire it.
A great addition to the vehicle.
BTW, it's hard to keep the trunk lid raised up with the new balance of weight on the trunk lid.
(my 2 cents worth)

skersfan 05-16-2019 12:00 AM

The OEM one does not have any type of railing on it. If and a big if, you were hit hard enough for the luggage to come loose and hit you, you most likely have more to worry about from what is coming at you from the front. But pickup trucks and light work trucks have what they call head ache racks, putting the bar in the front would be similar. Personally I think it looks better in the back though. It seems to me all the TR4's and MGB's had them with the bar in back and they were an original option I think. Mine did not have one, but I wanted one. lol

JohnWR 05-16-2019 07:24 AM

I added one to my MGB, and put the rail to the back because I thought it looked better there. I was having trouble keeping everything tight after driving for a while so I talked about it with one of the "old" guys in the local group. He explained that there was a lot more force from braking than from accelerating, (especially with an MGB) and that it would work better if I reversed it, so I did. It was much easier to keep things secured after that. Plus of course there is the whole "headache rack" issue and, while you are more concerned with what is in front, having your own stuff hitting you in the back of the head just adds insult to injury. Or maybe injury to injury.

skersfan 05-16-2019 12:49 PM

I know that is very true. Had a very close friend that was a drummer for Crickett. A popular local 60's band in the Inland Empire. He was the star. Went to Mammoth in his motor home. Ended up losing control, wrecked, his injuries were minor from front impact, but an Iron came out of the side box, struck him in the back of the head and killed him. He would have walked away with the other injuries. Sad day for me and I pay very close attention to things behind me in the motor home. But I have a lot of crap that could come loose in the FJ, need to look at that a little better before our National this summer. Thanks for making me think about that JohnWR.