Luggage Rack - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky/KAPPA Rumors, Gossip, Scuttlebutt, Hearsay and Speculation The place to discuss rumors, upcoming info leaks, spy photos, unconfirmed tidbits, and be a general "net-detective"

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 2 Post By Sky By Nite
  • 2 Post By skersfan
  • 1 Post By JohnWR
  • 1 Post By skersfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Luggage Rack

Just bought a 2008
Been wanting one for a long time. Wasn't so much concerned with the mileage but rather looking for one owner under 50K miles. Found a real beauty. Now trying to tackle the no room for luggage issue. Any advise on luggage racks or other luggage solutions with he top down?
Thx,
Kal
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I owned a 2007 Sky with the factory luggage rack and spoiler. It actually looked pretty neat. Don't know if you can still get, tho'.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Garage
factory luggage racks are long gone, and if you can find one expect to pay a lot for it. Best looking one by far, but not a very friendly place for luggage. Can't carry much and block the rear view completely.

I may have a double suit case system for sale in another couple of weeks. It is a trailer hitch system with water proof suit cases. I have never used it, or even put it on the car. But it is a clean set up and gives you a lot of luggage capability.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
factory luggage racks are long gone, and if you can find one expect to pay a lot for it. Best looking one by far, but not a very friendly place for luggage. Can't carry much and block the rear view completely.
Yes I agree they are about as common as hen's teeth. I know I am very satisfied with mine, an alternative version, as was mentioned not as visually friendly as the OEM ones it is a Kappasphere by DDM, but it does impede rear view somewhat and to do it correctly one should put protection on the trunk which if you do remove it the rack you are left with a couple of clear strips running down your trunk. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you do have a factory spoiler you have to be even more careful with the installation. Now having said all that, I know personally I like mine, others may differ.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	641.1 KB
ID:	105099  

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna

Last edited by Windancer; 05-13-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
It is curious that they designed it backwards. The support rail should be to the front and not the back.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
They are reversible. Just a matter of choice.
Windancer and mtdjohn2018 like this.

2009 Saturn Sky Red Line SE Ruby Red 5M
Trifecta tune
Windrestrictor
DDM short shifter
DDM brace bundle
Solo Performance Quad Tips
Lil' Chromies
Full LED lights
LED footwell lights
Trunk Gas Strut Mod
Kappa Rack
JPM Leather Console
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
I love the OEM luggage rack, but would never put anything on it. More show than go in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	105105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4013.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	105107  
RedOne07 and a280z like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Or a matter of getting injured in an accident.
Your opinion of which you are certainly entitled to. As was mentioned your choice, there really is no right or wrong answer, it is reversible. I'm certainly not going to enter such a frivolous debate.

Terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Your opinion of which you are certainly entitled to. As was mentioned your choice, there really is no right or wrong answer, it is reversible. I'm certainly not going to enter such a frivolous debate.

Terry
It is only frivolous as long as you are not in a situation where you stop quickly enough to have your luggage break loose from its tie-downs and hit the back of your head. So I hope that it will always be a frivolous debate.
skl8260 likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I bought the Kappasphere (by DDM) rear luggage rack.
I am very pleased with it. At least I can take some luggage with me on a trip.
Install it carefully. When all mounting is done and tightened, it is very strong and will carry a lot.
There are issues around rear view of other vehicles.
When loaded up, I can (almost) see under mine to see vehicles following.
You will need some rain-proof protection for your luggage. (It's just a rack and weather does whatever it wants)
I have the upward support towards the back. I just thought it made me feel more secure regarding a case sliding off (But that's just me)

Everyone that sees it empty or with luggage all admire it.
A great addition to the vehicle.
BTW, it's hard to keep the trunk lid raised up with the new balance of weight on the trunk lid.
(my 2 cents worth)

from Ron
2008 Saturn Sky Base auto
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 AM

Garage
The OEM one does not have any type of railing on it. If and a big if, you were hit hard enough for the luggage to come loose and hit you, you most likely have more to worry about from what is coming at you from the front. But pickup trucks and light work trucks have what they call head ache racks, putting the bar in the front would be similar. Personally I think it looks better in the back though. It seems to me all the TR4's and MGB's had them with the bar in back and they were an original option I think. Mine did not have one, but I wanted one. lol
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM

I added one to my MGB, and put the rail to the back because I thought it looked better there. I was having trouble keeping everything tight after driving for a while so I talked about it with one of the "old" guys in the local group. He explained that there was a lot more force from braking than from accelerating, (especially with an MGB) and that it would work better if I reversed it, so I did. It was much easier to keep things secured after that. Plus of course there is the whole "headache rack" issue and, while you are more concerned with what is in front, having your own stuff hitting you in the back of the head just adds insult to injury. Or maybe injury to injury.

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Garage
I know that is very true. Had a very close friend that was a drummer for Crickett. A popular local 60's band in the Inland Empire. He was the star. Went to Mammoth in his motor home. Ended up losing control, wrecked, his injuries were minor from front impact, but an Iron came out of the side box, struck him in the back of the head and killed him. He would have walked away with the other injuries. Sad day for me and I pay very close attention to things behind me in the motor home. But I have a lot of crap that could come loose in the FJ, need to look at that a little better before our National this summer. Thanks for making me think about that JohnWR.
Windancer likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Sky/KAPPA Rumors, Gossip, Scuttlebutt, Hearsay and Speculation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in