Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   Sky/KAPPA Rumors, Gossip, Scuttlebutt, Hearsay and Speculation (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Sky & Solstice dead by 2010 (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f8/sky-solstice-dead-2010-a-19874/)

ebonysky 10-09-2007 02:33 AM

Sky & Solstice dead by 2010

I'm hearing two rumors that strongly conflict with each other. One is, that the production of the Kappa cars will be relocated to the Bowling Green Assembly Plant after that facility's modernization is complete in 2012, thereby making it the "GM two-seater capital of the world". The unsuccessful Cadillac XLR will be dumped before then. The other rumor is that GM will end Sky & Solstice production by 2010! :eek:

You GM people...what are you hearing out there? Any truth to any of this?

bzaczek 10-09-2007 03:29 AM

yeah people, speak up . . . .

RedlineBlue 10-09-2007 07:18 AM

I have been seeing quite a bit of rumors as well, more than the two you mentioned. Quite confusing! There are several sources that state the new GM - UAW contract (all the voting is suppsed to be done tomorrow 10/10) has in it that the Delaware plant will be making the sky and Solstice until 2012. Here is an excerpt from one of the news sites:

"GM's plant in Wilmington, Del. will continue to build the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky until 2012. The union indicated that Wilmington has no product listed for production after 2012."

RedlineBlue

KimberlySky 10-09-2007 08:39 AM

Hopefully I want them to stop building them! I like being the special not like the short bus special but the special car!

Rick Tinley Park 10-09-2007 09:35 AM

This thread has the most documented info... https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19512
My guess is Bowling Green is where Sol/Sky is headed.

clif 10-09-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlySky (Post 248816)
Hopefully I want them to stop building them! I like being the special not like the short bus special but the special car!

As the parent of a child with Cp and orthopedic needs, I find my shorts in a bunch at this comment. I know we are all adults, however, please understand that there are those children who, through no fault of their own are relegated to second class status by most.

Rant over, I too appreciate the uniqueness of our cars. Bluestone RL owner and proud!

Clif

SKY 4 ME 10-09-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Tinley Park (Post 248828)
This thread has the most documented info... https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19512
My guess is Bowling Green is where Sol/Sky is headed.

:agree: :agree: :agree: This is what I have heard as well. I haven't heard any timing, but I have heard that the SKY/Solstice will be made in the BG plant at some point in the future along with the Cadillac and Corvette. Nothing official, just what I have heard people state as fact.
SKY 4 ME

Rick Tinley Park 10-09-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKY 4 ME (Post 248914)
:agree: :agree: :agree: This is what I have heard as well. I haven't heard any timing, but I have heard that the SKY/Solstice will be made in the BG plant at some point in the future along with the Cadillac and Corvette. Nothing official, just what I have heard people state as fact.
SKY 4 ME

If you think about it -- It could be SWEET -- a Sky/Solstice owner would beable to get the tour and drive away like a Vette owner?? Maybe??
Also how about the start of a Sky, Solstice Museum (registration) like the Vette....?? It's all right there already!

Valistener 10-11-2007 06:55 PM

Bowling Green GM jobs expand
Assembly moving from Del. by 2012

ASSOCIATED PRESS:
As many as 2,000 new jobs could be created at the General Motors plant in Bowling Green as part of a decision by the automaker to end production of certain vehicles at a Delaware plant.

By 2012, the company plans to move production of the Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky and Opel roadsters to Bowling Green from Wilmington, Del., a union official at the Kentucky plant said, citing the tentative agreement between GM and the United Auto Workers.

The Bowling Green plant now assembles about 35,000 Corvettes annually. Since 2003, it also has assembled about 4,000 Cadillac XLRs.

"We've been trying to get additional products at the plant," said Eldon Renaud, head of the Bowling Green plant's UAW local. "I'm just excited."

A GM spokesman declined to comment.

The Bowling Green plant now employs 960 people and runs one shift in production of the Corvette and Cadillac XLR. The move will mean an expansion to three shifts, said Renaud.

Wilmington's Boxwood Road facility is one of two GM plants not slated for production of new vehicles, according to a summary of the agreement provided to The Associated Press. The other is the Orion Township plant in Michigan, which will make the Pontiac G6 until 2013.

http://www.kentucky.com/101/story/189404.html

marlboromike 10-11-2007 07:30 PM

Can we start making reservations for the Mecca Tour 2012??? What date in May?

Sabre 10-12-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clif (Post 248869)
As the parent of a child with Cp and orthopedic needs, I find my shorts in a bunch at this comment. I know we are all adults, however, please understand that there are those children who, through no fault of their own are relegated to second class status by most.

Rant over, I too appreciate the uniqueness of our cars. Bluestone RL owner and proud!

Clif

In Arkansas, the special needs children ride the long buses.

greenhornet 10-18-2007 11:21 PM

The move to Bowling Green KY. is planned as reported. A move that will add prestiege to the Kappa car line. When the current Sky/Solstice kappas are replaced by the more refined series 2 models, the Solstice may be dropped in favour of the Sky. I cannot say any more at this time.:willy: :cheers: :thumbs:

KappaMan 10-19-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhornet (Post 252391)
The move to Bowling Green KY. is planned as reported. A move that will add prestiege to the Kappa car line. When the current Sky/Solstice kappas are replaced by the more refined series 2 models, the Solstice may be dropped in favour of the Sky. I cannot say any more at this time.:willy: :cheers: :thumbs:

:lurk: :lurk:

:D

Interesting to look at the speculation.

dengel 10-19-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhornet (Post 252391)

Interesting that GM would go from their current plan of making twice as many Solstices as Skys, to dropping the Solstice altogether. I would think that a flip in the production numbers (go from more Sols and less Skys to more Skys and less Sols) would be more likely than to drop the Solstice altogether.

Jay_Sin 01-05-2008 09:33 PM

I don't see why they would drop the Solstice. Especially when it has so much company backing with competition. Generally people that are more performance oriented go to the solstice and then people that just want something that looks sexy go to the Sky. Although I like fast and sexy, so I prefer the Sky.

Although maybe they just back the solstice to get GM back into peoples thoughts when it comes to new cars. Then when they complete that mission, who knows what they have planned. I guess only time will tell.