Saturn
Model
Sky
Color
Midnight Blue
Packages
Leather, Monsoon
History
This is the second Sky I purchased. I purchased this car used in July 2014. It was also an early build Sky like my first car (no door lock switch inside the vehicle) and only had 44K miles on it when I bought it.

It started off nearly bone stock with only the GMPP intake installed. My first modification was the 3" Magnaflow exhaust and, other than the size of the exhaust and the billet grills, this car was a perfect copy of my original Sky.

But the modifications wouldn't stop there. First round of major modifications came with the sale of my beloved but non-functional Grand Prix. With that money, the new wheels, sway bars, braces and coil overs for the suspension were purchased. After that came paint and plastic dip for the head lights, tail lights, door handles, and badges.

Some where in all this the radio got upgraded too. It was hard to hear the stock head unit but the Kenwood made listening even with the top down no problem.

The next major step in the modification process was the turbo install. This was basically the LNF's K04 turbo installed on the LE5. Most parts transferred right over but the cold side charge pipe, oil return line, and water return line all had to be tweaked or fabricated from stock to work on the LE5. Also, injectors were beefed up at this point and a boost controller was installed to manage boost levels.

At this point, the car was tuned with HP Tuners for about 8-10 psi of boost. Any more than that and the stock clutch would not handle the power. With the final goal of 400 whp in mind, other parts of the car had to be modified to support the next turbo that would take me to that power level. This is where the Hahn intercooler, boost referenced return fuel system, power steering relocation, high flow cat, bigger fuel pump and new hot side pipe were added.

It was also during this time where I added the LED lights both front and rear.

With these supporting modifications done, it was time to address the clutch. A Spec Stage 3+ clutch and the Quaife LSD differential were installed to handle the amount of power I was shooting for (and then some) along with improving rear traction under acceleration for autocross. This would be important with the increased power.

Next up after the clutch is a big wheel K04 turbo. I was hoping to hit at least 325 with this turbo but alas, it was not to be...yet. On the dyno we got 248 whp and 280 ft/lbs. The reason the numbers are so far apart is the turbo was experiencing boost drop-off in the upper RPMs. She peaked at 12 psi but dropped to 9. I believe I've traced it back to the boost controller and I need to go with a more advanced electronic version to maintain the 12 psi of boost. The rule of thumb is 10 hp/lb of boost so with that she should be around 280/280 hp/tq. Then I want to work on it some more and see if we can't get her to 15 psi which would put me in the 300 whp range.

I did want to go to 400 whp but the issue is trying to get that kind of power on a turbo car and not have a lot of lag. Being as I love to autocross, I may just stick with this smaller turbo and keep the power levels where they are to reduce issues autocrossing due to turbo lag.

...but...naaaaaaaa...send it!

Now it's on its final phase of performance. Out with the stock LE5 and in with a GenIII Ecotec block at 2.4 liters, forged pistons, forged rods, fresh bearings, ported and polished head with larger valves on new cams, rockers and lifters, with a Performance Auto Werks WR-4 turbo and looking for 450 whp on pump gas and 500 whp on E85...did I mention the addition of a Flex Fuel sensor wired into the stock ECM? Yea, that too. The WR-4 turbo is meant for the smaller 2.0 liter engine so I'm hoping with the extra displacement and a 33%+ higher flow out the exhaust side of the head that the amount of turbo lag will be less than with this same turbo on a 2.0 liter.

As you can see, this project has taken some time but it has been one heck of a journey.

2007 Saturn Sky (Midnight Blue)

Modifications

Drivetrain
GenIII 2.4 block with Balance Shafts removed, Wiseco 8.8:1 forged pistons, Carillo Super A Beam forged rods, ARP head studs, fully balanced with balance shafts removed, ceramic exhaust and downpipe coating, orange powder coated compressor housing, Werks dual pass radiator, ARP timing chain bolts, Werks single valve springs with Titanium Retainers, +1mm larger intake and exhaust valves, ported and polished 2.4 Ecotec head, orange powder coated valve cover, Performance Auto Werks WR-4 Turbo with TIAL external waste gate, Hahn Intercooler, custom 2.5" hot side charge pipe, RPM Motorsports 3" cold side charge pipe, AEM Wide Band O2 sensor, 80lb Siemens DEKA IV injectors, 3-bar GM MAP, LNF exhaust manifold, TurboSmart eBoost2 boost controller, LNF water tube and thermostat housing, PAW/Force 10 racing water feed line, PAW water return line, PAW oil feed line, and PAW oil return line, modified DDM fuel rail converted for return style boost referenced fuel system, FueLab Fuel pressure regulator, GM Flex fuel sensor wired into factory ECM, 255lph fuel pump, power steering pump reservoir relocation kit, Spec Stage 3+ clutch with billet steel pressure plate, Spec light weight flywheel, Quaife LSD, Force 10 Carbon Fiber driveshaft, ZZP LSJ throttle body adapter with LSJ throttle body, Werks Racing Adjustable Master Cylinder, Werks Racing Stainless Steel clutch line, and 1/8" slave cylinder spacer.
Interior
Plastidipped badge. AEM Wideband Gauge and eBoost2 Boost Controller/Gauge in A-pillar holder, DDM short throw shifter, orange painted Center Console, two tone orange and black seats and door panels, Remin blue carbon fiber dash trim, So Cal Garage Works carbon fiber D-shaped steering wheel.
Exterior
Custom vinyl graphics, stubby antenna, billet grills on lower vents and front grill, body color door handles, painted gunmetal window trim, tulip panel, front grill, plastidipped badges and headlight buckets, painted headlight eyebrows, painted tail light eyebrows and tint, functional side vents, functional brake vents, functional "Mustang" style carbon fiber hood vents, 2.4T rear badging, Norm's fiberglass rear defuser.
Audio
Kenwood Touch screen DVD player with smartphone connectivity and custom Sky themed wallpaper and startup screen.
Lighting
LED headlights, LED head lamp parking lights, LED Switchback Amber/White front turn signals, LED Sweeplight rear turn/brake lamps, LED fog lights.
Exhaust
3.0" Magnaflow dual outlet exhaust, RPM Motorsports high flow cat downpipe modified for PAW external wastegate on the WR-4 turbo.
Suspension
BC Coil Overs w/ 5K springs front and 6K springs rear, DDM Probeam rear suspension brace, DDM Backbone brace Sport version, DDM Venom front suspension brace, PAW shock tower brace, Z0K Redline/GXP rear anti-sway bar, Differential Poly bushing. Quaife Limited Slip Differential. Wilwood/TCE Big Brake Kit with 6 piston front calipers and single piston rear calipers. 13.0" front rotors and 12.3" rear rotors.
Wheel and Tire
Proline 901 18x8s with Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 245/45R18s.

Gallery

Comments

· Registered
24 Posts
Wow, I have a 2.4 I just purchased the RPM turbo kit. excited.