Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum - Reply to Topic
Thread: Long Term Kappa review not favorable Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
03-13-2008 02:45 PM
Nemesis quote - "Thanks to a poor design, the latch hook that secures the roof to the windshield frame can be bent easily when putting the roof down for storage. We did it about a dozen times."


What are these guys? Morons? Seriously, my 5'3, 110lb wife did this on her own and she's no rocket scientist. I'm seriously ashamed of edmunds. I will note their over-exaggeration and won't rely on their info as much as I had in the past. I would have to say that I have a Sky RL and there has been one fit and finish issue. When I first got the car, apparently one of the trunk alignment adjustments was off and this caused my convertible top to squeek. Other then this, it has been fine. As far as the noise with the top up: they must have gotten the solstice top with no sound deadening, my sky which has the sound deadening is whisper quiet at 65-75mph. They failed to mention this. They also like to do reviews of the base solstice all the time. Nothing against the base solstice, but when have you ever seen a magazine get the base Z for review? The base mustang? COME ON....please! I have never seen such a railroad job as I have with this car. I was a subscriber of all three major car mags. When the sky/solstice came out. They showed only the base solstice, no sky (for a long time). When the RL and GXP came out. All 3 mags gave the performance versions a tiny article in the BACK of the mag! When have you EVER seen them do this with ANY other sports car? Not one mag made the RL and GXP a front page issue as the first - true amercian sports car in decades. When they do a "comparo" they always bring out the Z track edition, the mustang GT, etc. Where is the Sky RL, or the Solstice GXP?! No for some reason we are lumped in with the miata?! PLEASE! This is like having the mustang V-6 as the only mustang shown, comparos with the tiburon....
The Sky RL and Solstice GXP can blow the doors off the miata. I run with Mustang GTs and track Z's, and you name it. It's time we see some unbiased comparos......until then, I have cancelled my subsciption with all 3 major magazines, and will no longer trust these publications, as they have a hidden agenda. I don't want to make aquisations like: they get paid under the table by foreign car makers, so I am sticking with "hidden agenda". I am sure the rest of you feel the same way. When I see the RL and GXP in the comparos, maybe I'll change my mind.
LAST THOUGHT: - all the mags did the same thing when I bought the first PRIUS in the state. They said how it really didn't get the MPG it said it did, and it was a waste of money. NOW they love it, because I get 52mpg, it has run for 8 years with zero maintainence other then oil change (yes no new brake pads). I bought the car in 2000 as a 2001 for $19,000, got a refund from the gov for $2500 ($16,500) and was offered $17,000 for it by the coca-cola company a year ago. Yeah, the mags were spot on with that one right? I've learned how "spot off" they really are. By the way, the PRIUS has saved me enough money in gas a maintainance, that I will be buying another when this one dies, how's that for "waste of money".
03-08-2008 11:56 PM
puggsleyssky The review is just what ALL of American MEDIA seems to be about today! Lets find another way to Bash the U.S.! I have a son-in-law dodging bullets in Iraq, a father in law with schrapnel in his back from WW II, and me, I put in my time during Viet Nam. Our country is now seeing the worst of economic times and Media is on the march to see to it that it gets worse! It would seem that they too are owned by foreign markets. I believe it was Nakita Kruscheve, President of Russia during the cold war, who said we will not have to fire a single shot. America will crumble from the inside of it's own weight, and freedoms. I just wish we could get back on track and live without all of the unethical, immoral, Junk that is clouding the basis of our countries founding! BTW; WE Really enjoy this car! ...PUGGS
01-30-2008 08:19 AM
Forever Young
It's MY Opinion That Counts!

Love this car, never regret buying it, driving it changes my whole mental outlook, don't mind the minor differences, roof, trunk. Anyway, once you
start to drive all you car about is the ride. If the car was such a loser, why did it accumulate 17,000 miles? Seems to me you would have a good sense of the
potential after 500 if you had any sense. There's a real contradiction in the review. Who put all the miles on the car? If is was so poor, why didn't the word spread and the car sit after the first 500? Anyway, those of us who own this car only shake our heads in pity to those who spend more and get so much less. I love my SKY! Don't give a flying flip about anyone's opinion abou the car.
01-30-2008 05:23 AM
lbsky
agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry4pyro View Post
I totally agree with SteveR. If Edmunds, or Car and Driver don't like the Kappa, so be it, but who the hell cares. Life's too short to be aggrevated by some bozo who, for whatever reason, has a different preception of what constitues a great car. I say hit them where it hurts, take Edmunds off your URL bookmarks, or cancel your subscription to magazines that print this crap.

Happy holidays to all of you driving the best looking car in the universe!

larry4pyro
Car and driver would like it if it cost 75K. These people are way out of touch when it comes to what they think is a good car for the price. I love the Corvette, but 80K for the Z06, what world are they fromHow about the 09 model for over 100K. I think maybe the people at GM are just as confused as the writers.
01-29-2008 05:50 PM
GeniusInABottle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Believe it or not arm length may not be a problem. I kind of have to bend my arm a bit funky because it's too long...usually overshoots the edge of the trunk. A little shorter arm might help but really don't think I need to modify the arm just for this. LOL I manage. LOL

I've found you want to do this on flat ground. Uphill is tough because you have to be really light with the flip. Way too easy to flip too hard and have the trunk go all the way up. Downhill and the trunk won't go up as far and try to close faster...but far better than uphill.

So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL
Is there a video of this up yet? I'd like to see it to.
01-12-2007 03:02 PM
gwader HAHAHA! I laugh at silly people, but someone has to do it and get flamed for it. Try owning a 6.0 Diablo that has very little trunk room and is a pain in the but to get into. And how about the squick ever time you shift gears from the carbon fiber consule. 10K for a new clutch after 15,000 mile if your lucky. New weather stripping from getting into where your feet hit. Oh and its $280k. If you have a roadster you have to be a body builder to lift off the top.

Just enjoy the pictures in magazines and use the text you wipe your butt with.

Later

Greg
01-11-2007 06:12 PM
Robotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinmb View Post
how can you push the top down in the trunk while still seated in the car?... I believe you when you say you're capable of doing this...but aren't you worried that the top won't seat correctly?
Maybe that's where my height comes in handy. But no, never had a problem. Also, with mine the part that usually doesn't seat is the rear crossmember of the top. If you just closed the trunk the trunk itself can press down evenly on this member and seat it properly. However, doing it this way will mean you will probably have to close the trunk twice.

The ONLY problem with this meathod is you have to have almost nothing in your trunk and KNOW that the side areas where the buttresses stow is completely clear.
01-11-2007 05:04 PM
Closer I dont often reply, but read...so this is what i have to say....The reason I bought my redline was because I seen another person pull up in a 2.4 and was stunned how amazing the car looked. The person in the car was cool and confident. Whenever a guy pulls up in a "miata" what is the first thought that come to you??? ....Think about that one. Get my point? Have fun all you masculine miata drivers! Hahahaa
01-11-2007 02:53 PM
akinmb how can you push the top down in the trunk while still seated in the car?... I believe you when you say you're capable of doing this...but aren't you worried that the top won't seat correctly?
01-11-2007 01:24 PM
Robotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinmb View Post
how long did you have your Sky before you were able to accomplish this...the top feels a little too stiff on mine to be able to just throw it back there and have it sink far enough into the trunk...and the trunk really has to be slammed pretty hard to get it to close properly.
Well, you still have to push the top down pretty firmly to get it to seat fully. Then sometimes, as always, you may have to close the trunk twice. However I've found that if you do three firm pushes across the top and push firmly in the center of the trunk over that front bulkhead that you usually will get it on the first try.

I probably had the car for a couple months before I figured this trick out.
01-10-2007 02:42 PM
akinmb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Believe it or not arm length may not be a problem. I kind of have to bend my arm a bit funky because it's too long...usually overshoots the edge of the trunk. A little shorter arm might help but really don't think I need to modify the arm just for this. LOL I manage. LOL

I've found you want to do this on flat ground. Uphill is tough because you have to be really light with the flip. Way too easy to flip too hard and have the trunk go all the way up. Downhill and the trunk won't go up as far and try to close faster...but far better than uphill.

So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL
how long did you have your Sky before you were able to accomplish this...the top feels a little too stiff on mine to be able to just throw it back there and have it sink far enough into the trunk...and the trunk really has to be slammed pretty hard to get it to close properly.
01-10-2007 01:02 PM
SpecRaceM5 We always have new goodies! I actually have enough ideas and suggestions from customers to keep me busy into retierment (which is a LONG ways off for me).
01-09-2007 09:39 PM
cerberus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
That could probably be arranged. You could also check out some of our new goodies!

Brian
You have new goodies??

Oh yeah, the article. To summarize. Long term review: Kappa-Kars are not Miatas.
01-09-2007 08:11 PM
SpecRaceM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL
That could probably be arranged. You could also check out some of our new goodies!

Brian
01-09-2007 02:51 PM
Robotech Believe it or not arm length may not be a problem. I kind of have to bend my arm a bit funky because it's too long...usually overshoots the edge of the trunk. A little shorter arm might help but really don't think I need to modify the arm just for this. LOL I manage. LOL

I've found you want to do this on flat ground. Uphill is tough because you have to be really light with the flip. Way too easy to flip too hard and have the trunk go all the way up. Downhill and the trunk won't go up as far and try to close faster...but far better than uphill.

So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome