Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the Sky Redline will go from 0 to 60 in less than 5.5 sec. I assume that is for the manual transmission only. Am I correct? If so, what is the 0 to 60 spec for the automatic transmission?
BTW... I'm 25th on the list for a redline in Indy(across 3 dealerships in the city):banghead:

·
Registered
96 Posts
IndyCar said:
I have read that the Sky Redline will go from 0 to 60 in less than 5.5 sec. I assume that is for the manual transmission only. Am I correct? If so, what is the 0 to 60 spec for the automatic transmission?
BTW... I'm 25th on the list for a redline in Indy(across 3 dealerships in the city):banghead:
So when did you order your RL?
I ordered mine at the Greenwood dealer. Got the prelim order # end of May.
Now just in a very slow wait mode.....................sigh.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ernest said:
I would think the auto is a little bit quicker, maybe 5.3 sec? Manual cannot shift as quick as automatic. IMO

Automatics DO shift faster than manuals, BUT... auto's put down less power to the wheels than a manual does.. ;) My vote is manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IndySkys said:
So when did you order your RL?
I ordered mine at the Greenwood dealer. Got the prelim order # end of May.
Now just in a very slow wait mode.....................sigh.
I put my name on the list a couple of weeks ago. I went through the Greenwood store because they were much more responsive than the Fishers store (which I live a couple of miles from).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
From what i have heard, the automatic in the standard Sky has the same 0-60 as the manual... so maybe they will be either the same or very close on the redline...

·
Registered
102 Posts
From what i have heard, the automatic in the standard Sky has the same 0-60 as the manual... so maybe they will be either the same or very close on the redline...
Generally speaking, the auto should be very close to the manual with an
expert gear shifter. With the average person, the automatic should give better times.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
IndyCar said:
BTW... I'm 25th on the list for a redline in Indy(across 3 dealerships in the city)
When you say that you are 25th across three dealerships, does that mean that Saturn allocates "fairly" to each metro area? Will you receive the 25th redline delivered to any of the three dealers in Indianapolis? Does it matter at all which dealer you choose?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Im not an expert in the subject, but.. In the "Old Days", the manuals where much quicker due to the inefficiencies of the Torque Converters. Technology has improved to the point where the torque converters these days approch the effeciency of manual tranys. But I have to believe the manuals still has the edge. Look at estimated MPG. ie efficiency of the energy of the engine translated to forward motion. Given the same engine and differential. But they are getting closer and closer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm suprised to hear the auto might be as fast as the manual, but maybe that reflects an average driver not being able to drive too well? Even if the auto were faster, I like the manual. Sometimes autos pick odd shift points or don't shift when I would like them to.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
IndyCar said:
The engineers in KC said 0-60 for the automatic GXP'S is 5.2 on a good run and 5.1 on a great run. The manual was 5.4 on some good runs and 5.3 on a some great runs.

Here are a few post from the Solstice Forum:

Improved Performance on GXP Automatic and 5-speed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke with the engineer at the Solstice Meet when looking at the Mean GXP on display. I asked him some questions in regards to the performance peramiters of the GXP. Specifically, concerning the difference between the automatic GXP and the 5-speed. I asked him if the 5-speed would be able to keep up with the automatic, and also what could we expect in regards to times to 60mph. He said that the GXP automatic on a good run could hit 5.2 and on a really good run 5.1. He said that the 5-speed could hit 5.4 or on some good runs 5.3, due to the loss in shifting the 5-speed. At the time I didn't know anything about this extra additional part or "piece" that would enhance performance that was announced by frankc on July 17th. It's possible that the engineer may have known about this performance enhancement. I don't know? This engineer was involved in the development on the engine. Thought this might be helpful to the future GXP owners. This was the same gentleman that addressed the group and answered questions at the Banquet.

#1 On my local GXP list at MSRP

You had a very interesting conversation with the enginner. Wish I could
have been there but I was at Salt Lake ALMS race with the C6R's where
it was 107 deg-hot!
BUT, I had come to a conclustion to buy the automatic based on the fact
that modern automatics can shift faster than you can and you can get
immediate quick acceleration with the quick downshift of an automatic.
The engineer that you talked to confirms my guess that the auto was
as fast and in this case faster than the stick.

But then I had a conversation with a GM powertrain engineer very
familar with the auto in the Solstice and was told in no uncertain terms
I should buy the stick, so I changed my order. But I did not get a chance
to have the engineer outline the complete details of the reasons to change.
I suspect as the previous post has noted that the characteristics of the
auto deaden the throttle response somewhat and that was the reason for
the suggestion I received. Where the auto shines is the modern ones, if
programmed with higher pressures etc, will shift faster than you can with
a stick. If you like drag racing over road race response, it appears the auto
may be better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
IndyCar said:
I put my name on the list a couple of weeks ago. I went through the Greenwood store because they were much more responsive than the Fishers store (which I live a couple of miles from).
So being 25th, did they indicate when your order would go live?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Autos have different gearing, and use odd shift points. I would have a very hard time believing that an auto has a better 0-60 then a manual. The only advantage I can think of is that the auto may not have to shift into 2nd to get to 60mph where the manual does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
richm said:
When you say that you are 25th across three dealerships, does that mean that Saturn allocates "fairly" to each metro area? Will you receive the 25th redline delivered to any of the three dealers in Indianapolis? Does it matter at all which dealer you choose?
Lockhart Group owns all 3 dealerships in Indy so I don't think it matters which dealer you go to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IndySkys said:
So being 25th, did they indicate when your order would go live?
They have already reached their allocation quota for the year so I was told the order wouldn't be placed until the Jan/Feb timeframe with an "expected" delivery next summer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IndyCar said:
11.5 pounds of weight per horsepower does not translate into a low 5 second car. Consider the lighter weight competition, making more horsepower (Boxster S) and slightly less (S2000).

Boxster S
0-60 in 5.4 seconds
295 hp
10 pounds per hp

Honda S2000
0-60 in 6 seconds
250 hp
11.6 pounds per hp

Saturn Redline Sky
0-60 around 5.9 seconds in the real world
260 hp with 2990 pounds
11.5 pounds per hp

·
Registered
62 Posts
Automatics

I have had both in many different cars. At the drags, the fastest cars are automatics consistantly. (not top fuel). I dont know what they are using for an automatic in the redline or what the stall speed is on the torque converter but you can get some pretty nasty torque multiplication with a good torque converter. They take of like a shot. With a clutch there is too much pedaling to get it right. Less 'teqnique' is involved with an automatic. Turbo cars love automatics, shift in the powerband! I cant tell you how many times I have missed a shift or skipped a gear, not hard to do with a 6 speed. Although less of an issue with a 5 speed. Good thing is the SKY has the same differential as the Cadillac CTS-V. It should last longer with 1000 less pounds and 100 less horsepower. In any case, the Austrailians are making a Dana knock off, hopefully ready in a few months.

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
JLB said:
11.5 pounds of weight per horsepower does not translate into a low 5 second car. Consider the lighter weight competition, making more horsepower (Boxster S) and slightly less (S2000).

Boxster S
0-60 in 5.4 seconds
295 hp
10 pounds per hp

Honda S2000
0-60 in 6 seconds
250 hp
11.6 pounds per hp

Saturn Redline Sky
0-60 around 5.9 seconds in the real world
260 hp with 2990 pounds
11.5 pounds per hp
You forgot something though...we're talking acceleration here...which is based more on your torque curve than your hp rating:

Boxter S torque: 236 ft/lbs (and the Porsche site lists the HP at 280...not 295)

S2000 Torque: 162 ft/lbs (the Honda site lists the HP at 237...not 250)

GXP/Redline Torque: 260 ft/lbs

You'll note the Redline beats them both on Torque and is closer in HP that you listed. So I say since both these cars lack low end torque compared to the GXP/Redline that the 0-60 time could very well be in the 5 second range.

And actually, Car and driver rated the Boxster S HP/weight ratio at 12.2 lbs/hp... http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/3300/topless-toys-page4.html

So, again, the numbers we're seeing here are right in line with what's out there.

As for those thinking they can shift as fast as an auto, I have a car with an auto that can shift in 0.020 seconds...Now, I know I can't beat that but maybe someone out there can? And yes, this is with a shift kit ($4.00 from Ace hardware) and increased line pressures.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Robotech said:
You forgot something though...we're talking acceleration here...which is based more on your torque curve than your hp rating:

Boxter S torque: 236 ft/lbs (and the Porsche site lists the HP at 280...not 295)

S2000 Torque: 162 ft/lbs (the Honda site lists the HP at 237...not 250)

GXP/Redline Torque: 260 ft/lbs

You'll note the Redline beats them both on Torque and is closer in HP that you listed. So I say since both these cars lack low end torque compared to the GXP/Redline that the 0-60 time could very well be in the 5 second range.

And actually, Car and driver rated the Boxster S HP/weight ratio at 12.2 lbs/hp... http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/3300/topless-toys-page4.html

So, again, the numbers we're seeing here are right in line with what's out there.

You are looking at the old Boxster S, not the new models, which have increased horsepower and torque.

From Motor Trend:

The engine in the Boxster S has been enlarged from 3.2 to 3.4 liters, and now develops 295 horsepower at 6250 rpm - 15 horsepower more than its predecessor. Torque has also swelled 15 pound-feet, to 251 lb.-ft. The Boxster S sprints from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.1 seconds (0-100 km/h, 5.4 sec.) - a tenth of a second quicker than the previous model. This open sports car's top test-track speed has risen 2 mph to 169 mph (272 km/h).

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news060628_2007_porsche_boxster/
295 hp and 2965 pounds is right around 10:1.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts