Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a backup light on my 07 Sky Redline that doesn't work. I read the posts here and checked the bulb, socket, connectors, fuse and the relay cubes look in place.... ( not sure if my 07 has a relay for the backup light. )

I am going looking to replace the backup lamp switch which I assume is on the tranny.

Does anyone know exactly where the switch is and best way to change it ???

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a backup light on my 07 Sky Redline that doesn't work. I read the posts here and checked the bulb, socket, connectors, fuse and the relay cubes look in place.... ( not sure if my 07 has a relay for the backup light. )

I am going looking to replace the backup lamp switch which I assume is on the tranny.

Does anyone know exactly where the switch is and best way to change it ???

Thanks,

Bill
It's a 5 speed manual as well.....

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
Fuse 46 Backup Lamp supplies the switch, which directly operates the light. The manual does not appear to have a relay.

Have you confirmed that you do not have voltage at the light when in reverse? The light itself has been known to fail.

The manual illustration isn't real clear, but it appears that the backup light switch is on the right side of the transmission, almost in line with the shifter assembly. You access it from under the car, after removing the front floor closeout panel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tested the socket voltage with just the key on 'acc' ...dash lights on and shifter in neutral and I get 11v at the backup bulb socket....... I tried with the shifter in rev and still get 11volts and no bulb lights up... I tested fuse 46 and it shows no power.....swapped it out and still nothing.... I am wondering if the 11v at the socket is just trace voltage with the key in acc and its a bad switch on the tranny.....

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
How are you checking power at the fuse? Are you checking both sides of it?
The backup light switch appears to be an actual switch, so there should be no "trace" voltage.
How are you checking for voltage at the socket? Is the voltage on the Light Green wire?
Does the black wire have a good connection to ground?

What is the history of this car? Did this just start? What else happened when the backup light quit working?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my black 5sp. 07 Redline in Mass about a month ago....has 54,000 miles for $7500. Like any used car I have ever got, they always need a few things done to get them up to speed.
The last thing to pass NH state inspection is the backup light... ( I think )
I'm not a mechanic or electrician...just a Saturn enthusiast.... ( my 6th one....and the Sky is the Most different )
I have my voltmeter set to DCV and the black probe on 'COM' and the red probe on V-omega-Ma and put the probe points into the socket contacts and fuse top contacts to test...
Not sure if this right....just trying to figure this thing out..

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
I was hoping that this started while you had the car. It is a royal pain to sort out what someone else has done.

Your method looks basically OK, but I have some suggestions.

Check everything to a chassis ground, something that is sometimes difficult to do in these days of mostly plastic cars.
  • The Light Green wire at the light and the Black wire at the light
  • Check each side of the fuse to ground
  • Check a fuse for something that you know is working to make sure that you are getting good probe contact
It is sometimes difficult to check fuses and their sockets because of their shape, unless your meter probes are extremely small.
At the light you have to have voltage on one side, and ground on the other, and sometimes the ground is the problem.

Check as much of the wiring back there for anything that looks out of place, especially loose wires and splices.
Attempts to add backup cameras can cause issues as they typically get power from the backup light circuit.

No voltage at the fuse is a big concern, and pretty rare, so i am hoping that you were not getting good contact.

Does anything else electrical, no matter how trivial it seems, not work? Related problems can be a good directional indicator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply..... The only mod I noticed on my Sky is an aftermarket stereo with gps map.....and based on its model number and age I'm guessing its at least 10 years old.... and it looks like a plug and play stereo with no cameras amps or extra speakers....works fine.......everything else seems stock and works as best I can tell....
I'll retest the wiring and fuse.... You are probably right in that it is a ground or something like that.... I actually had 2 blinker sockets go bad on my 06 Ion so that wouldn't surprise me here either.

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update.... I tested the fuse socket and it is giving power....swapped the fuse again just to be sure.... I tested the green wire and grounded to the frame...it gave me 10.75 volts either in key on position and in neutral and also key on and in reverse....no difference......
The black wire gave me zero volts grounded to the frame in either key on reverse or neutral shift position....
Does this sound like a bad ground or a bad switch ???

Bill

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
10.75 V to ground on the green wire would not be a ground problem, since it should be 0 V in neutral, and 12 V in reverse. 14 V with the engine running in reverse.

I think you are going to have to get under the car and check the wiring to the switch and the switch itself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.... I jacked the car up and went in search of the backup light switch on the transmission.

I discovered that the front floor closeout tunnel panel ( otherwise known as transmission skid plate ) had been removed by the previous owner.... ( maybe to install the DDM works 3 part suspension stabilizer package that is on the Sky now ) This led me to believe that it was the switch itself or nearby wiring that someone screwed up when removing the skid plate.
Sure enough, it was a broken wire right on the backup switch pigtail just before the electrical plug on it goes into the harness.

Thanks again to JohnWR for pointing me in the right direction.

I decided to buy a new skid plate seeing mine is gone... ( GM part # 15878244 )......esp. seeing it is only $50 new from GM

Does anyone know the thread size for the bolts to that ???

I can't find the part description anywhere for the bolts....and I'm gonna probably just get some generic bolts rather than pay huge for GM bolts.

Thanks,

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts