Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 base Sky 5-speed with the single disc Monsoon stereo and XM. 121000 miles. Tonight while driving the stereo completely died. No display, no sound, won't turn on, no chimes. Nothing. Got home and checked the radio fuse, it's good and voltage to the fuse terminal is good. Had been driving through some light rain, never an issue before. In the 19 months and 20000 miles I've owned this car the radio has never given me any issues. I searched the forum a bit but found no info.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Last year, I messed with OEM radios more than I care to admit. The only thing that comes to mind is that the connector plugged into the back of the radio was previously tampered with and was not latched properly (or the latch is broken) and it has worked it's way off the radio.

Removing the radio is more involved than I experienced with other cars. It requires disassembly involving the glove box and driver lower trim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year, I messed with OEM radios more than I care to admit. The only thing that comes to mind is that the connector plugged into the back of the radio was previously tampered with and was not latched properly (or the latch is broken) and it has worked it's way off the radio.

Removing the radio is more involved than I experienced with other cars. It requires disassembly involving the glove box and driver lower trim.
I thought of the connector as well but I'm not looking forward to an exploratory look just to see. I've seen how complex this dash is compared to others. My wife daily drives a Hummer H3 and I can get that stereo out in 5 minutes using only a trim removal wedge and the socket for the mounting bolts.

·
Registered
18,362 Posts
It's not that difficult...just 22 or 23 screws from the lower dash...and 4 more to remove the radio...since u have never done this...30 mins, tops. It is the trim around the radio that is intimidating...but don't worry. Just pull! HERE IS A HINT. For each screw, put a piece of tape where u removed it from....u can miss a few when reinstalling. There is an instructional on UTUBE

·
Registered
146 Posts
It’s not all that bad. Toughest part is making sure you disengage the metal clips without bending them. Just did this a few weeks ago when I was having button issues with mine. Below is a pic of the gauge cluster I installed in the G8.
Now there was a job.....

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline, RPM Stage 3, & DDM brace/backbone/probeam
44 Posts
I have a 2008 base Sky 5-speed with the single disc Monsoon stereo and XM. 121000 miles. Tonight while driving the stereo completely died. No display, no sound, won't turn on, no chimes. Nothing. Got home and checked the radio fuse, it's good and voltage to the fuse terminal is good. Had been driving through some light rain, never an issue before. In the 19 months and 20000 miles I've owned this car the radio has never given me any issues. I searched the forum a bit but found no info.

Any ideas? Thanks.
This has happened to me about 5 times since I bought mine in '08.. every time it worked next time I got in the car. Still working today. I'm guessing a connector rattles lose or a circuit overheats. I'll part with mine as soon as I can find an Alpine iLX-w650 in stock somewhere around me.

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, CAT delete & ECM Tune. diy tunnel brace. ProBeam.
55 Posts
Agree with MM. Not hard, just a little time consuming. I like the idea of using tape to remember where the screws went. I'd give yourself 45+ for the first time to remove everything. If you have an automatic transmission, either use your P-brake or chock the wheels because you are going to need to put the car into drive to make the trim piece around the radio easier to remove and install. (To be clear, I mean put the car in gear, but not with the engine running).
And, yes, there are a few youtube videos of the process to give you a little more confidence. I suggest watching one or two BEFORE you start the process.

Also, if you find your radio isn't working after some fiddling around with, I have one the I removed from my '08 RL with monsoon that I would likely part ways with for a fair price.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Any ideas? Thanks.
AE5: if your radio is dead, I have a takeoff I just pulled from my car, 41K miles on it, it is single disc, MP3, XM, non-monsoon in perfect working condition. Shoot me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Be aware that if you replace a radio with another used one, you'll have to take it to the dealer (or mech with a Tech II) to get the anti-theft reset.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You have a remote chance of replacing the face alone and the head unit will work again. If successful, you would avoid the expense of security programming at your local GM dealer. So when you get a "direct" replacement head unit in-hand, first swap out the faces and see if you get lucky. Swapping faces is but a couple of minutes. It can be done with the radio partially pulled from the dash. 4 side screws and it's off.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Unless you absolutely must have the aesthetic of the stock radio, I'd highly recommend you replace it with an aftermarket unit. The electronics in the stock unit are garbage--the sound quality you get from the stock system with an aftermarket unit will be a dramatic improvement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info, everyone, thanks. I have not had the time to mess with it as I've been cramming for my real estate license exams. Passed both yesterday. I've driven the car a few times this week and still nothing to the radio. My wife drives a '06 H3 and her aftermarket radio does this on occasion. I pull the plugs and re-seat them and she's good again. The H3 only requires one central panel to be pulled and that requires no tools. The only screws are the radio mounting screws so it's out in less than 5 minutes. I'll try the re-seating the plugs routine when I get a minute, hopefully today as my morning appointment just cancelled on me.

As far as someone saying go with aftermarket, I would do that but replacing with a factory head unit is not only cheaper but I do use SiriusXM about 95% of the time and an aftermarket unit would require the purchase of an aftermarket SXM receiver as well. That's not in my budget right now. Plus I really like the aesthetic of the factory unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any ideas? Thanks.
I’ve had mine appear to go out then come back a few times .. it’s a intermittent power switch on mine .. I can usually push the on/off a few times to get it working when it happens.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Plus I really like the aesthetic of the factory unit.
Me too, except that I changed the interior illumination scheme so I also changed the radio lens and illumination from a salvage Chevy Cobalt radio to coordinate with the interior better. The only dark orange color remaining is in the steering wheel buttons.

The only issue I have with the factory radio is that once in a while, I inadvertently turn the radio on or off when shifting into 3rd gear, a minor irritation that I seem to avoid more and more over time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve had mine appear to go out then come back a few times .. it’s a intermittent power switch on mine .. I can usually push the on/off a few times to get it working when it happens.
That's the first thing I tried. I've about worn it out pushing it while driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts