Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you taken you sky to a 1/4 mile track yet???????
If so let us know the times you got, And what kind of tires you had On.
Any most of all if you pulled on anyone????

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have driven several other fast cars. I am guessing our will just barely break 15. I am guessing 14.85

Guess I'll have to take her to the 1/4 next time my son takes his dragster. He runs 12, and I can safely say, mine is nowhere close to his.

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
I have driven several other fast cars. I am guessing our will just barely break 15. I am guessing 14.85

Guess I'll have to take her to the 1/4 next time my son takes his dragster. He runs 12, and I can safely say, mine is nowhere close to his.
Stock Skys will run nowhere near a 14.
Malletts should be in the 12s without a problem.
Turbos are high 13s low 14s depending on drivers and who you ask. (GM puts the Redline at 13.9)

But the stock Sky is a high 15 second car...like 15.7 or 15.8. One memeber here has a run of 16 something on a stock Sky. You might see some factory freaks that get a little lower than that but not into the 14s.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I just don't understand the need for speed...seems to me that if your going like a bat out of H_ll, no one can appreciate the finer looks of the Sky. Take time to smell the roses. You just have to give the guy next to you, trying to get you to race, the look of 'your just not worth the time buddy'.:cool:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
I just don't understand the need for speed...seems to me that if your going like a bat out of H_ll, no one can appreciate the finer looks of the Sky. Take time to smell the roses. You just have to give the guy next to you, trying to get you to race, the look of 'your just not worth the time buddy'.:cool:
Hey, "minus six" -

You got that right. We have a toll road between home and my office that is pretty wide open. People routinely do 85 or more. As for me, I take the windy road that goes along a lake and never break 50. Takes a little more time, but with the top down and going past a lake, I mean I don't even want to GET to work.

With the top down there is a certain discomfort when you start going too fast. It's just not pleasant any more. Keep it at 65-70 - right around the speed limit in the right lane and watch everybody pass, smile and wave.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Well Put

Kustomkaps said:
I enjoy my Sky the way it is. Probably won't MOD it. I am not a racer, although I have been in the past. My car is for the driving pleasure and "Crusin' :cool: "
Enjoy the drive is what I say.
Just like we did this weekend on the So Cal Coast. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Robotech said:
Stock Skys will run nowhere near a 14.
Malletts should be in the 12s without a problem.
Turbos are high 13s low 14s depending on drivers and who you ask. (GM puts the Redline at 13.9)

But the stock Sky is a high 15 second car...like 15.7 or 15.8. One memeber here has a run of 16 something on a stock Sky. You might see some factory freaks that get a little lower than that but not into the 14s.
Thanks Robo! I know it was not built for speed, but it just looks and feels so good!

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
Thanks Robo! I know it was not built for speed, but it just looks and feels so good!
Oh I hear you. My other car is a Grand Prix that, when said and done, SHOULD run mid 12s in full street trim. Driving the Sky is going to be a little difficult power wise after driving that. But that's not what I got it for...even though I keep looking at power adders for it. LOL

Bad Robo! No cookie for you!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I expect to run High 11's once I get my Mallett Sky fully done and add my own exhaust and wheel upgrades. Pre-upgrade stock the best I was able to do in an "unofficial" time with a passenger was 16.1, ~98mph at 3000ft elevation. As an aside (and I don't recommend this on a new engine) you will need every bit of 6500rpm's to make the 177hp and you will also need to hold 3rd gear longer than you *should* to make a decent 1/4 mile time. If you don't care about your clutch, you could try and launch it in 2nd gear and see how that goes, but frankly 1/4 mile times on a stock sky are not something you should be working real hard to impress people with:nono: .

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
CyaL8r said:
I expect to run High 11's once I get my Mallett Sky fully done and add my own exhaust and wheel upgrades. Pre-upgrade stock the best I was able to do in an "unofficial" time with a passenger was 16.1, ~98mph at 3000ft elevation. As an aside (and I don't recommend this on a new engine) you will need every bit of 6500rpm's to make the 177hp and you will also need to hold 3rd gear longer than you *should* to make a decent 1/4 mile time. If you don't care about your clutch, you could try and launch it in 2nd gear and see how that goes, but frankly 1/4 mile times on a stock sky are not something you should be working real hard to impress people with:nono: .
Scary thing is you go to an import night at the track and half the feild is running 16s...with modifications on the car...so it could be worse. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts