Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I post this to show off. I'm done this year with the upgrades, as money ran out. Next year will be custom seat covers in alcantara/napa leather, custom 8" fiberglass/mdf sub enclosure (will be made by [email protected], aka cartmann32), finish off power upgrades (pipes from DDM, Trifecta tune), BBK from ZZP, replace some weather stripping (some of which I already have on hand), new tires and wheels (probably Momo RF-5C 19s) and that should hold me for the next three years while I save up to do a mallet swap.

Here's the initial teardown:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Steering wheel Automotive exterior

Going thru the interior upgrades:

Automotive lighting Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Musical instrument Neck Sleeve Grey Creative arts

Hood Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Tints and shades

Hood Bumper Luggage and bags Trunk Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Tire Chair Synthetic rubber Natural material

Recovered the entire interior in napa leather and alcantara (the real stuff from Italy).

Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber Grille

Bumper Automotive tire Rectangle Hood Automotive design

Measuring the hide for the dash

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More pics, this is the rearview camera being installed

Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Mode of transport Font

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light

Replaced a ton of rusted nuts and screws while the interior was in pieces
Automotive tire Wood Gas Household hardware Auto part

New gauge cluster face
Motor vehicle Gauge Tire Font Automotive tire

Speedometer Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gauge Tachometer

OPT-7 interior LED lighting
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Blue Vehicle Hood Vehicle door Automotive design

Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Audio equipment Electricity Cable

Hood Light Blue Trunk Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Hood Blue Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
lighting inside the glovebox
Gas Water Wood Metal Event

Doing mechanical work
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive air manifold

New FMIC, new radiator, new power steering pump and lines, new water pump and hoses, new belts and tensioners, new evap canister, new bolts, screws, etc, new thermostat, new radiator cap and related items like seals/gaskets/etc were replaced with new OE/ACDelco parts.

Transmission flush, engine flush, obv coolant system, differential flush all performed at the same time. Shop took a full 8 days to do all the work. Well worth it.

Some bling
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood Vehicle

New plugs and solenoids:

Office supplies Cosmetics Font Household hardware Auto part

Tool Office supplies Household hardware Cylinder Auto part

Still waiting on pipes severely backordered from DDM.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Auto part Automotive super charger part

Installing load resistors. All exterior bulbs now LED.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

Door handles replaced with paint to match

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

Material property Tool Magenta Sports equipment Tints and shades

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Complete for now. Still missing the dashcam and radar detector and paint correction. Will attempt those in the fall (already got all the supplies).

Gear shift Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle

The frame covers were also done in leather with french seams in red.
Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive mirror Hood Motor vehicle Rear-view mirror Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Steering wheel Personal luxury car

Leather ebrake handle cover. Seats will be done 2022
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Rebuilt cup holder because you need to
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Grille Bumper

Extra storage you absolutely must have to
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Textile Bumper

Lemme know what y'all think

👍

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think I love what you've done so far. That center console with the cup holders looks great. The red sticking on everything is fantastic.

How many hours are you in on the project? Is everything DIY so far, or have parts been outsourced?

Kick ass build journal.

I'm in the planning stage of mapping out my build. I know I'm doing the Stage 3 RPM kit, and I've narrowed down my wheels to 4 sets I like but haven't decided on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I love what you've done so far. That center console with the cup holders looks great. The red sticking on everything is fantastic.

How many hours are you in on the project? Is everything DIY so far, or have parts been outsourced?

Kick ass build journal.

I'm in the planning stage of mapping out my build. I know I'm doing the Stage 3 RPM kit, and I've narrowed down my wheels to 4 sets I like but haven't decided on.
Thanks Matt, appreciate it. I had the leather work done by a local upholsterer and the heavy mechanical work (water pump/PS pump/flushes/etc) by my mechanic shop. I purchased the leather and alcantara myself after scouring the web for about a month. The CF work including the steering wheel was done by socal garage works.

The rest was all me. I would say I have about 6 months between weekends and the occasional monday/friday when I didnt feel like going to work and wrenching. I am finish off the stage 3 next week hopefully.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a nice build. Although I'm glad you went with black instead of full on red. That car is DRENNCHED in red.

I don't really have an inspiration for the direction I'm going in. Just kind of this vision in my head. I had a 3 series years ago (before kids) that I was building to be a streetable drift car.

While I've calmed down a bit in terms of craziness, I'm still aiming for a car that is fun for track days but I can daily drive in the summer.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Great work! I always like custom car work and then when I start to do something myself, I always find I like OEM appearances and options more for some reason. So I usually remove the mods and revert mostly back to stock looks.

With that said, I really like the dash and the paint matched door handles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you could have shown the things you DID NOT change instead, would had been a shorter post. :p

Seriously, it looks amazing specially all work in the engine. I personally don't care that much for interiors and have done nothing in my GT except replacing the old radio by an android one. Would like to replace the mirror too, but can't find a compatible one with integrated lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, beautiful job. Interior quality is really my only complaint about my experience owning my Sky, and you definitely addressed that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A better copycat is the Breckland Beira....not as ostentatious but definitely better all around look.
While I like the tail lights of the Beira, and the wheels are also very nice, mine looks better. They didnt do the door panels and basically did what I did on the dash, just flipped materials over whereas they did suede on top.

I still like the OE hood opening better instead of the traditional hood opening they went with

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
While I like the tail lights of the Beira, and the wheels are also very nice, mine looks better. They didnt do the door panels and basically did what I did on the dash, just flipped materials over whereas they did suede on top.

I still like the OE hood opening better instead of the traditional hood opening they went with
You cannot compare the Beira to our car...just amazing including the interior/seats. They built a better mouse trap

1 - 20 of 26 Posts