Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I am tired and will sleep well but will check e-mail before leaving home to buy a silver, a/t, leather Sky at 8:00 AM PDT on 5-30-06. It arrived on truck at 2:00 Monday, Memorial Day and I saw it all taped, dirty and like I expected it to look after a many mile drive to local dealer.

I was pressured to put my name on this car at the moment but due to tax considerations will make the deal first thing in AM. The salespeople made it sound like the car could be sold before I could make the deal in the AM; this was the situation as of 3:49 in the afternoon on Monday, I was willing to take my chances and after 6:00 was told that the car is mine if I pay first thing in AM.

The invoice adds $499 for vehicle ID and also $499 for the sealer coat on the paint .. are these negotiable in anyone's experience?

Any experienced suggestions welcome .. Mark

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
It may be true they have many people biting... were you on a list and was this the one you ordered? Did you agree to the two additions they say they will add?

If you put down a deposit and this is the one you ordered, they shouldn't sell it to another until you can say no. If you did not agree to the two additions when you ordered it, I would try to get it without... maybe if there actually are dealer installed items you wanted, have them add those instead, but make sure they are sold to you at MSRP.

It is up to you if you accept the overpriced additions they are trying to push on you... but if it were me, I would say no. If you were not on a list... get on a list elsewhere, unfortunatley it may take you an unbearable amount of time to get your SKY if you do.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Congratulations - and please share the outcome. It NEVER hurts to ask. Yes, some folks have found that they could get a lower price or skip the charge entirely, but they are not dealing with your dealership. Personal decision on your part if they stick to it - will that aprox. 1 thous be a deal breaker for you? Nobody can answer that for you. Best of luck to you.
PS Our Sky is passing thru our hometown on a rail car at this very moment. So close! On the way to Milpitas where it will be off loaded, then trucked to our dealer in Elk Grove. Very exciting for us, too!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just say "NO". The paint sealer is garbage. They add it because it is a high margin item. What exactly is the "Vehicle ID"?

My dealer added nothing. I paid only taxes and Title/Registration fees (normal for Michigan) in addition to MSRP for the car itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

1G8MB35B07Y102069

OK, I am now 68 hours into the new world of being a Sky owner and it feels great. I am 51 years old and will state that this is well within the top 10 of peak experiences in my life. Meeting my wife ( 25 yrs happily married ) adopting a baby boy, watching my other 2 be born, building my home are all there obviously but this thing has really surprised me.

Look, I know that it's just a car and never will love me back but the excitement of driving this little bucket of bolts is a feeling that I have not had for many years. I guess I was very lucky in that I only got real interested in this car about 10 days before it arrived. No waiting really, I just stopped by the dealership every two days, chatted with the salespeople and wham, one of them called me on Memorial Day to inform me that the car was being unloaded off the truck. I was there in 10 min and committed to the purchase within 30 min. Did they bump me 2K? sure, did they force the seal coast and etching on me? sure .. big deal, I have the car,out the door with all desired options for around $32K and couldn't be more pleased. Some will carp that I got taken, well I have made dumber stock investments that cost way more than that little bump, this time I have a geat and fun something to show for it. I'll make it back in enjoyment and better performance in other aspects of my life.

The power and handling, the very nice dashboard and the overall thrill of the Sky is way beyond any expectation that I had. For those who must wait I would say that it it is well worth it, you'll not be dissappointed. This is my 3rd Saturn ( Vue/Ion in stable) and from what I can see of the future, not my last.

Last night after a very nice dinner at local steakhouse my 17 year old and I took the Sky out for a back road run .. no top, beautiful starry night, Led Zep at near peak volume ( like in the old Cadillac commercial ) .... he was driving and y'know what?, I thought that life at that moment was just about as good as it can get. Maybe right, maybe wrong to be so involved with a material possession but I am one very happy owner.

Regards to all who have shared their stories and sincere apologies to any offended by my gushing, I'll try to be more restrained in future. Happy Friday. mhe

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Those dealer-added extras are a ripoff and inflated. The paint sealant is a $40 wax job at best. If you read the manufacturer info, it will probably tell you that you do NOT need to put paint sealant or wax on this car for quite some time.

If this car was ordered for you (from a written order form regarding the options, etc.) I would challenge the extras as not being part of the custom-ordered car and would refuse to pay for them. If they indicated that you would not be able to get the car, I would suggest that you contact a consumer lawyer and have them file a consumer fraud suit (deceptive and unfair trade practices as well as consumer protection laws in your state) and seek a temporary injunction against selling the vehicle to anyone (considering how hard it is to get these cars, an injunction is possible).

If a dealer wanted to play a game with me, I will make them hold that car until my case is concluded so that they cannot sell it to anyone. I'll bet their tune changes the moment an injunction is entered prohibiting them from selling the car to another buyer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts