Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so i've been driving alot these past 3 days. Got 610 miles on my baby now.
I've been driving in all kinds of conditions, really trying to bond with the handling so i can learn its limitions. Some interesting facts on how the fuel economy is going thru these first 500+ miles. In and around my town, which is the stop light and stop sign capital of north america :lol: - I'm only getting around 16-18 mpg. I decided to reset the dic when i got onto i-95 to go to spags. On the highway with 93 octane at 2200 rpm i averaged 39.1 mpg for the entire run.

Today i decided to fill it up with 100 octane race fuel. I don't reccomend this for everybody because it's $8.00 a gallon. Yeah you read right, 8 bucks a gallon. I felt an Immediate improvement in acceleration. I took the same route and averaged 42.3 mpg on the highway and my city driving has been boosted to 22.5! Major improvement. I won't be getting this fuel often, but i just wanted to see if it would make a difference. The engine also had a nicer idle sound to it.

The engine has really broken in nicely. I highly reccomend to future redline owners to not baby thier car when they get it. Drive it like you normally would but also Stomp on it here and there, especially from a standstill. Don't be afraid to really getting going and get those rpms up. These first 500 miles i gave my engine a wide range of driving conditions and it has really responded well. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
or you could always to the octane boost formula route, although won't get you that high. Fill up with 93 and drop the octane booster liquid in, you'll probably be at around 96 or 97 octane, and much cheaper overall for the entire tank.

That is.......if those things even work, haha. I haven't had much experience with them, and only really noticed very minimal differences.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ok so i've been driving alot these past 3 days. Got 550 miles on my baby now.
Today i decided to fill it up with 100 octane race fuel. I don't reccomend this for everybody because it's $8.00 a gallon. Yeah you read right, 8 bucks a gallon. I felt an Immediate improvement in acceleration. I took the same route and averaged 42.3 mpg on the highway and my city driving has been boosted to 22.5! Major improvement. I won't be getting this fuel often, but i just wanted to see if it would make a difference.....
Hi Pitcom,

congrats on that really nice looking high powered car :thumbs:

100 oct will give more power but IMO 8 $/gl is a waste of money.
That price is even higher as in Germany; actual prices here:

regular - 91 oct - 6.0 $/gl
premium - 95 oct - 6.1 $/gl
premium plus - 98 oct - 6.35 $/gl
special 100 - 100 oct - 6.9 $/gl

In the german Opel spec min quality is super (premium) 95 oct.

With higher octane gas you get a higher boost under full load, did you try the other borderline (regular 87 oct) allready to test the lack in boost?

The other question I have concerns the underbody: Did you have the opportunity to have a look at the drivetrain; is there a torque bar between the tranny and the diff? :confused:

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Pitcom,

congrats on that really nice looking high powered car :thumbs:

100 oct will give more power but IMO 8 $/gl is a waste of money.
That price is even higher as in Germany; actual prices here:

regular - 91 oct - 6.0 $/gl
premium - 95 oct - 6.1 $/gl
premium plus - 98 oct - 6.35 $/gl
special 100 - 100 oct - 6.9 $/gl

In the german Opel spec min quality is super (premium) 95 oct.

With higher octane gas you get a higher boost under full load, did you try the other borderline (regular 87 oct) allready to test the lack in boost?

The other question I have concerns the underbody: Did you have the opportunity to have a look at the drivetrain; is there a torque bar between the tranny and the diff? :confused:
Trust me, i know 8 bucks a gallon is a waste of money. But my curiosity needed to be satisfied. I'll look for the torque bar when i go back to the dealer this week for a checkup and oil change. No my comparison was between 93-100. I honestly don't know what the dealer filled it up with.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was told by a couple of different techs that the high octane fuel can cook your catalytic converter if you use it alot because of the hotter exhaust gas. Has anybody else ever heard of this?

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I was told by a couple of different techs that the high octane fuel can cook your catalytic converter if you use it alot because of the hotter exhaust gas. Has anybody else ever heard of this?
Catalytic converters can get clogged and ruined by lead, they used to add lead to gasoline to raise the octane level, so when catalytic converters first came out alot of them got ruined by the use of leaded high octane gas, so everyone blamed the octane level. The actual truth is octane level had nothing to do with it, it was the lead in the gas, now days there is no lead in the gas, and higher octane fuel will not harm the cat. :thumbs:

·
Registered
166 Posts
or you could always to the octane boost formula route, although won't get you that high. Fill up with 93 and drop the octane booster liquid in, you'll probably be at around 96 or 97 octane, and much cheaper overall for the entire tank.

That is.......if those things even work, haha. I haven't had much experience with them, and only really noticed very minimal differences.
The tiny amount of anything in those so-called octane boosters raises your octane by very little if at all. You're better off spending your money on a NOS sticker, honestly.

If you really want a cheapo octane booster then get a couple gallons of toluene from a paint store (MAKE SURE IT'S PURE) and toss that in the tank. The turbo F1 cars in the 70s used to use something like 80/20 toluene. The problem is it's also used in the production of methamphetamine so getting your hands on large quantities anymore in nanny states like NY is rather difficult. Still, it's better than wasting $5 on a pint of crap.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The tiny amount of anything in those so-called octane boosters raises your octane by very little if at all. You're better off spending your money on a NOS sticker, honestly.

If you really want a cheapo octane booster then get a couple gallons of toluene from a paint store (MAKE SURE IT'S PURE) and toss that in the tank. The turbo F1 cars in the 70s used to use something like 80/20 toluene. The problem is it's also used in the production of methamphetamine so getting your hands on large quantities anymore in nanny states like NY is rather difficult. Still, it's better than wasting $5 on a pint of crap.
that's what i pretty much figured. I was suspicious of those "miracle boosters"

·
Registered
750 Posts
Reviving old thread, Any one had problems after using high octane gas, I know in my old prelude I used to mix 100 octane and 93 as I thought, probably incorrectly, that High octane could mess up my engine?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts