Saturn Sky Forum banner

10th Anniverary SoCal SKYs Beach Cruise!!!

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jgassor 
#1 ·
On June 24th, 2006, a group of brand-new, 2007 Saturn SKY owners got together to take a drive down the beach in Southern California. And thus, the SoCal SKYs car club was born.

We went on regular rides for a few years, welcomed Pontiac Solstices to tag along with us, and got matching jackets. Then we all just kind of drifted apart.

Well, it's been TEN YEARS. My sister owns my first SKY "BABY" shown in the photo below. I still have it's successor - "SPIRIT" - and take it out of the garage on special occasions.

I can't think of a MORE special occasion than the 10th Anniversary of our very first SoCal SKYs Beach Cruise! The closest weekend day would be:

SATURDAY, JUNE 25th, 2016 - Huntington Beach(ish) to Carlsbad. (Exact route to be determined.)

I have a special gift for all that want to ride along. And if you have sold your SKY, no problem. You can still tag along. (We'll just make you line up in the back after all the cool cars.)

Who wants to join me?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What is it that causes clubs of great cars to go defunct for 20 to 30 years and then they are reborn as younger people discover them. If the cars are so great, why do owners get rid of them and then leave the collectors to revive them?

Yes, the Sky is a great car and I will keep my recently squired Red Line till I die. I wish I was in SoCal so I could join you all. I grew up in Oceanside and my family still lives in Vista. My wife says I never sell cars, I just keep them.....not quite true....I have owned over 120 cars in my 80 years of life and I only still own 12 of them.

I sold some of the best ones because I needed the money, 1936 Gurney Nutting Bentley Sedanca Coupe, 1949 Daimler four door sedan, 1948 Austin Princess Limo and others.

But I still have my 1956 Continental MKII, 1970 Jaguar XKE 2+2, 1984 Rolls Royce Silver Spur and of course my 2008 Saturn Sky Red Line Roadster.

There are NO clubs nearby so I have to just love them alone. I wish there were some Sky enthusiasts on the Texas coast.

#7 ·
When the kid raced motocross, I remember leaving CA in the morning early, getting to El Paso, and spending two days crossing the state. Just so far across, dodging the giant deer on the west side. But the people are just great, have always enjoyed my time in Texas.

I remember my young son, about 14 at the time. Looking at a young lady with Cowboy hat, blue jeans split up the side and a white lace holding them together, and high heals. He said these girls here sure know how to wear blue jeans. Never forget those words for as long as I live. The Texas girls made him grow up quickly. I have to admit she was gorgeous.

#8 ·
JandR will plan to join. We can accept riding at the back of the pack as penance for recently passing our SKY along to new owners.

#9 ·
DETAILS - SoCal SKYs 10th Anniversary Beach Cruise!!!

It's been TEN YEARS since the first group of the then super-brand-new Saturn SKYs took a drive from Saturn of Huntington Beach down the coast to Carlsbad. Let's do it again 25 June 16!

DETAILS:

FROM: Parking Lot, 19021 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach - 10AM

TO: TGI Friday's, Palomar Road, Carlsbad - LUNCHTIME

Let's meet just SOUTH of where the old Saturn Dealership used to be (It now sells KIAs)... There's a big parking lot for a CVS and Stein Mart at 19021 Beach Blvd in Huntington Beach. See photos below for the signage.

We'll head south on Beach, turn left on Pacific Coast Highway, take that through Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, San Juan Capistrano, and San Clemente, then hop on I-5 and exit Palomar Road and head to the Windmill and the TGI Friday's restaurant located there.

Should take a couple of hours of beach driving, with stops and various beaches and and scenic overlooks. We should get to lunch around 1PM or so, depending on traffic and stops.

This time I'd love to see any Kappas - Saturn SKY, Pontiac Solstice, Opel GT or even Daewoo GTX.

And, I have a special gift for all participants on the drive - so be there if you can! (Bring your Kappa if you have one - otherwise bring whatever you like!)

Hope to see you there!!!

-- John D. --

Attachments

#17 ·
Hi Bob, We ended up with four Sky's (John and wife (sorry John, forgetful on names), Troy and Jamie, Julius and Sheena, and myself). plus JandR following up the rear in an SUV. We still made the most of it and had a great drive down to Carlsbad. We got separated at one point, embarrassingly, but you know how easily that happens in congested traffic. We ended up at BJs in Carlsbad and had a great lunch before heading our separate ways.

The weather was perfect, nice breeze although the ocean was playing a little rough, so we kept our kappas off the sand :)

Wish you could have been there!

#18 ·
Leading one of those things is like herding cats!!!! I know, I do it every year in my Palm Springs run. lol

Thinking about Tuxies, this coming Friday night. Will have my son drive the Mallett over, Patti the Green Car and I will take the Skpel. Would really like to have a Sky/Solstice display!!!! Let me know. I mentioned it to Robo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.