Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my baby to the hot test today. Started out with the top down and 96 degrees. We found I-5 a mess, and so we put the top up, turned on the air and headed east across Ortega Highway to Riverside county on our way down to Escondido and the San Diego Wild Animal Park. By the time we came down at Lake Elsinore it was 106. Then there was a brush fire, so traffic was bumper-to-bumper, and I watched the outside temperature climb to 111 degrees for quite a while.

What I can report is: the car was fine. It did not overheat, even with the Air Conditioner on full in the stop-and-go. And the top - black in my case - stayed amazingly cool. That padding does more than just sound insulation it would seem. It never even got warm on the inside - it stayed as cool as the inside air.

In my Spitfire, with just a thin sheet of vinyl for the top, it used to bake hot and radiate heat into the passenger compartment with the top up on a hot day. Of course, the Spitfire had no A/C so there was nothing to cool the inside. The SKY, with its padded canvas top was an entirely different animal.

It did superb.

So, for those of you who like the look of the black top but are worried about it getting to hot - don't. It was fine, in 111 degrees in stop-and-go under the hot California sun.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Has anyone tried running the Air Conditioner with the top down 95 + weather?

Just curious if it was able to keep the passenger area cool. I would like to be able to drop the top while driving through the desert at night on the way to Vegas.

·
Super Moderator
11,486 Posts
Yesterday was 115 in Fontucky!

I've ran the car with the A/C on top up and down in 100+ degree weather and here's my take.

Top up, windows up: A/C will freeze you out after a bit. Car definately retains the coolness. Once the interior got cooled off (using fan on 4, full cold, and recirculate on) I could run the A/C at 1 or 2, recirculate off and even sometimes about three notches off full cold.

Top down, Windows up: A/C still works well and it will cool you off but it will probably need to be on full blast to have a good effect.

Top down, windows down: A/C will be like a cool breeze now and again. Helps, but you will never be cool. Now, in bumper to bumper traffic it helps considerably but when moving there is almost no gain.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Steady 111

It was a steady 111 for us as well in the SFV. I drove from Sherman Oaks to Calabasas and the range was between 108 and 112. Top down, air blasting, windows up, no problem (I wore a sun visor and my daughter wore the SKY hat)....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Gotta Agree

Robotech said:

I've ran the car with the A/C on top up and down in 100+ degree weather and here's my take.

Top up, windows up: A/C will freeze you out after a bit. Car definately retains the coolness. Once the interior got cooled off (using fan on 4, full cold, and recirculate on) I could run the A/C at 1 or 2, recirculate off and even sometimes about three notches off full cold.

Top down, Windows up: A/C still works well and it will cool you off but it will probably need to be on full blast to have a good effect.

Top down, windows down: A/C will be like a cool breeze now and again. Helps, but you will never be cool. Now, in bumper to bumper traffic it helps considerably but when moving there is almost no gain.
109 my way and had the same sort of results. As long as the AC is blowin' it ain't bad.:thumbs:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Robotech said:

:agree: :agree:

Top down windows down in 94 degrees going walking speed in a parade did well with the fan on 4. BUT, a stick shift for 2 miles like that puts you leg to sleep!

·
Registered
119 Posts
richmcc said:
Has anyone tried running the Air Conditioner with the top down 95 + weather?

Just curious if it was able to keep the passenger area cool. I would like to be able to drop the top while driving through the desert at night on the way to Vegas.
Not if you are going anywhere near 25+ mph. This is with the windows down -- I have not tried it with the windows up. I live in Florida and have tried the A/C on highway driving and it didn't make a difference.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've run the A/C with the top down, 95-degrees plus and it provides the gentle cool breeze across the skin. Kinda nice, actually... But I would never submit that it keeps the cockpit "cool" by any stretch.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
As I Said

jdigiant said:
I've run the A/C with the top down, 95-degrees plus and it provides the gentle cool breeze across the skin. Kinda nice, actually... But I would never submit that it keeps the cockpit "cool" by any stretch.
Earlier I mentioned the same sort of thing. It does not cool the cockpit but it does create enough to make it comfortable. :cool:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
My A/C on my SC2 went out last week, cost 400+ to get it fix:banghead:

I decided to forget getting it fix and just wait for my Sky to come in!!!

What was I thinking it fricking hot :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Northeast Ohio

The weather so far this year in Northeast Ohio has made me wonder if a convertible really is a good idea. Not sure but it seems like we might have had at most about 48 hours straight without rain and most days are overcast with teh chnace of rain. only a handful of really nice days this year.

Of course this sort of thing is cyclical - come years are better than others. I am located such that tropical storms, tornados, earthquakes, wildfires, etc are just not an issue, and some winters don't really get started until sometime in January.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Florida,Texas and Arizona, should be the true prooving grounds to see if the Sky can stand the heat. So far in Texas, mine is driving great! And also, my A/C is operating fabulous.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mitchell said:
Florida,Texas and Arizona, should be the true prooving grounds to see if the Sky can stand the heat. So far in Texas, mine is driving great! And also, my A/C is operating fabulous.
I haven't had my Sky yet in stop/go driving during the heat but I can tell you with the top & windows up in the 90+ Florida days the A/C is PERFECT!

We'll see how she holds up during the next hurricane evacuation though. My 2000 SL1 was on the border of overheating the last time I had to evacuate so it will be interesting to see how the Sky handles.

Joseph

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Dump the cool to your feet and I bet it feels much better - cold air being heavier will fill the car-- if you blow it on you -- it blows away:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
jdigiant said:
So, for those of you who like the look of the black top but are worried about it getting to hot - don't. It was fine, in 111 degrees in stop-and-go under the hot California sun.
Heck darling, your talking about our everyday weather here. No probs with a/c or black top either....:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I think SKYBABY and I need to take a ROADTRIP to Arizona.. and put it to the test..... HECK YEAH...SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
SkyBaby said:
I think SKYBABY and I need to take a ROADTRIP to Arizona.. and put it to the test..... HECK YEAH...SkyBaby-07
I have 2 spare bedrooms...:cheers: You know your always welcome darling....:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
agirltrucker said:
I have 2 spare bedrooms...:cheers: You know your always welcome darling....:thumbs:

Oh... so.. we can put the GUYS in the spares and have a SLUMBER PARTY???? :thumbs: :D :thumbs: WHOO HOOOO....... i am on my way.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
:cheers: whoooo hoooo works for me....:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts