Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1400 miles on my Redline just wanted to post some observations.

The car is running great, aside from the amount of soot i'm still seeing out of the exhaust. I can literally wipe a full 1/8 inch of carbon out of the exhaust after a long drive. I am hoping something comes along in the future to take care of this problem as i believe the car is still running to rich.

Driving on the highway it's easy to maintain 35+ mpg. But driving around the neighborhood it's not uncommon to see 16-18 mpg. I went on a 2 hour drive the other night, alot of backroads at about 45 mph perhaps 25 traffic lights the whole trip. I averaged about 26.8 mpg.

Coolant temperatures fluctuate alot with this car. If i'm not running the heat it's average to see about a 194-197 degree coolant temp. This is with ambient temps in the mid 60's to mid 70's. I did notice however with the heat full blast especially at idle the car gets up to a coolant temp of about 218 degrees. I figured this out after i pulled in the driveway the other night and my fan ran for 10 minutes after i shut the car off.

Storage test. I sucessfully was able to load 2 cases of beer, a 30 pack and two 4 packs of dogfish head pumpkin ale(try it if you can get it :thumbs: ) in the trunk with the top down.

Brakes. They work great, bottom line. I have had some seriously close calls in my car due to other drivers making bad decisions and i'm glad the braking system worked so well. It's kind of surprising how small the rotors are for this car. I'm thinking about the aftermarket set from Gravana tuning with the colored calipers. The brake pads generate alot of dust as i'm contantly wiping down the chrome rims. I'm hoping with the bigger rotors and pads the larger surface area for the brakes will eliminate some of this.

The GM car cover has been a great pruchase for me. It keeps the car clean and really does a fantastic job repelling water. As soon as a rain drop hits it it richochets right off. I highly recommend it.

Congrats to all the new RedLine owners. i hope you are having as fun a time getting to know your vehicle as i have been. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Great review. You will have to let us know what you theoretically got it up to so far. May you have many more happy miles ahead. :thumbs:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pitcom, this is a great first hand report, with details that we all need to hear. My dad used to tell me pain is for joy. :banghead: :) Keep us up to date on the brakes and hopefully, we'll see a fix soon for the soot.:D

·
Registered
452 Posts

The GM car cover has been a great pruchase for me. It keeps the car clean and really does a fantastic job repelling water. As soon as a rain drop hits it it richochets right off. I highly recommend it.

:
Pitcom - Appreciate the RL update, I too have noticed Carbon in the tail pipes. Regarding you cover, how easy is it to take on/off? What kind of cloth is it, Evolution?

Thanks again, r1chy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Brakes. They work great, bottom line. I have had some seriously close calls in my car due to other drivers making bad decisions and i'm glad the braking system worked so well. It's kind of surprising how small the rotors are for this car. I'm thinking about the aftermarket set from Gravana tuning with the colored calipers. The brake pads generate alot of dust as i'm contantly wiping down the chrome rims. I'm hoping with the bigger rotors and pads the larger surface area for the brakes will eliminate some of this.

My car cover soaked right through when I put it on the day I got my car. :confused:

I also was confused at the size (or lack thereof) of the rotors. I thought they were going to be larger with the Redline, they look tiny behind the gigantic rims.

My only concern so far is some sort of mystery ticking that comes from the drivers side and a big scratch on my steering wheel emblem. The dealer is fixing the scratch though, luckily. It looks like when they were cleaning the car they hit it with a razor blade but supposedly they don't use razor blades when they take the plastic off the car so who knows.

1400 miles in two weeks is really shocking! I'm glad you're enjoying your car.

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car cover soaked right through when I put it on the day I got my car. :confused:

I also was confused at the size (or lack thereof) of the rotors. I thought they were going to be larger with the Redline, they look tiny behind the gigantic rims.

My only concern so far is some sort of mystery ticking that comes from the drivers side and a big scratch on my steering wheel emblem. The dealer is fixing the scratch though, luckily. It looks like when they were cleaning the car they hit it with a razor blade but supposedly they don't use razor blades when they take the plastic off the car so who knows.

1400 miles in two weeks is really shocking! I'm glad you're enjoying your car.
I too have a "clicking noise". my dealer told me that Saturn rep told them this noise should subside in time. So far it hasn't. It's gotten a bit quiter but it still makes the noise. The only way i can describe it is this, when you pop the hood and the car is running there is a ticking noise that sounds like your turn signal is on. Perhaps other redline owners can clarify if they can hear this noise. Also when i turn off my car there is a device that makes a wierd noise, Almsot like a fan prop coming to a sudden stop or a valve damper closing, this noise happens about 15 seconds after shut down. I'm sure it has something to do with the turbo, but since i have never owned another turbo vehicle i don't have any comparisons to go by. You are right about the rotors, they look like toy rotors :lol: I can see going thru brakes really fast with how small these things are.

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great review. You will have to let us know what you theoretically got it up to so far. May you have many more happy miles ahead. :thumbs:
Theoretically speaking, i have had the car to about 148 mph. I'd like to visit a another closed course and find out where the fuel cuts off. I have heard it is right around 150 mph. One thing i might add, at this high of a speed the car feels very safe to drive. It is very smooth at high speeds and at 125 mph the air currents in the cockpit die down alot, its very decieving because you don't realize how fast you are going.

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
Great review Pitcom!...love to hear the performace details!..1400 miles wow!! your cruising:thumbs: ..we are still under 800:) ...rain here this weekend left our RL in the garage:rolleyes: Thanks again for the update:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Theoretically speaking, i have had the car to about 148 mph. I'd like to visit a another closed course and find out where the fuel cuts off. I have heard it is right around 150 mph. One thing i might add, at this high of a speed the car feels very safe to drive. It is very smooth at high speeds and at 125 mph the air currents in the cockpit die down alot, its very decieving because you don't realize how fast you are going.
Oh man we were both theoretically so close. I can't wait until the next time Ernest and I get to meet up again. To make another theroretical run at the fuel shut off speed. :thumbs:

·
Registered
59 Posts
The car is running great, aside from the amount of soot i'm still seeing out of the exhaust. I can literally wipe a full 1/8 inch of carbon out of the exhaust after a long drive. I am hoping something comes along in the future to take care of this problem as i believe the car is still running to rich.
We're having the same problem with our standard sky. Our check engine light came on at about 3000 miles. They're replacing an oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter due to carbon buildup.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My check engine light come on this past Friday.Took her in and thier gonna have to replace my catalytic converter and rebuild the rear end. So SWTSKY is going to be out of commission for a couple of days.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
The last review I saw said top speed of 142mph drag limited, I have been wondering ever since, thanks for the update. By the by what grade of fuel were you running on the top speed run..:thumbs:

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The last review I saw said top speed of 142mph drag limited, I have been wondering ever since, thanks for the update. By the by what grade of fuel were you running on the top speed run..:thumbs:
That was the weekend i filled up on 100 octane. Man my wallet still has a few bruises from that purchase.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Torque bar?

Question to Pitcom, Ernest, Inline4Redline or other RL owners.
Did someone of you had the opportunity to have a look at the underbody; is there a torque bar installed?
Thanks.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts

Pitcom... you were the first known RL guy, and at minimum... the first RL delivered in the area of the plant... and one of the first to report the soot issue...

So I was just curious...is it all a coincidence that Saturn caught onto the soot problem as you were posting, or did they reach out to you.. maybe read your posts on the forum? Or did you mention to dealer and they got the info up the chain quickly??

Was there ever a meeting between you and Saturn engineers... I mean, considering your proximity and the newness of the car (and that they didnt catch it in QA..) I'd think when reported so early they'd want to hunt you donw and see for themselves.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pitcom... you were the first known RL guy, and at minimum... the first RL delivered in the area of the plant... and one of the first to report the soot issue...

So I was just curious...is it all a coincidence that Saturn caught onto the soot problem as you were posting, or did they reach out to you.. maybe read your posts on the forum? Or did you mention to dealer and they got the info up the chain quickly??

Was there ever a meeting between you and Saturn engineers... I mean, considering your proximity and the newness of the car (and that they didnt catch it in QA..) I'd think when reported so early they'd want to hunt you donw and see for themselves.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)
To answer your questions simply, no. I wish i had more information to give. I was told that the GXP's were running too rich and recieved a reflash to minimize soot. My dealer was the first to tell me about the water ingestion from the intercooler the day i picked up my car on the 7th. Apparently they were given this info from regional. They asked me if i was ok with being a somewhat test subject and i didnt mind. I haven't heard anybody else posting about soot problems with thier turbo except for 1 other. It may be it's not effecting many cars, cause it seems like more people would be mentioning it. I did relay my driving experiences back to my dealer for the first two weeks. I told them about the soot, about the turbo hiccup w/backfire and about the car not starting twice and stalling once. When i picked up the car i was informed about the water issue and told the system would stop burping in about two weeks, and it did clear up. Since those first several days i haven't had any difficulties other than the soot. If we hear about any type of reflash for fuel/air ratio, trust me I'll let you know.

·
Registered
422 Posts
..... When i picked up the car i was informed about the water issue and told the system would stop burping in about two weeks, and it did clear up. Since those first several days i haven't had any difficulties other than the soot. If we hear about any type of reflash for fuel/air ratio, trust me I'll let you know.
Stop burping without any modification at the intercooler ??

And Pitcom did you had the opportunity to have a look if there is a torque bar installed ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
We're having the same problem with our standard sky. Our check engine light came on at about 3000 miles. They're replacing an oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter due to carbon buildup.
mine to...my check engine light came on at 2800 for the same thing!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts