Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried putting 16's on the rear of our cars? I'm looking at buying a set of cheap 16x8 rims and putting a set of Hoosier 28.0" x 11.50" - 16"LT QTP tires on them for drag racing. Despite the 11.5" treadwidth on the Hoosiers, they only require an 8" rim.

I'm fairly sure everything fits in all directions except for brake clearance. It may even be dependent on the particular 16 I go with.

Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just curious - why do you need wide tires for drag racing a Sky? Can you get your tires to break out? I have the Redline and I've never gotten mine to break on the straight away.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Anyone tried putting 16's on the rear of our cars? I'm looking at buying a set of cheap 16x8 rims and putting a set of Hoosier 28.0" x 11.50" - 16"LT QTP tires on them for drag racing. Despite the 11.5" treadwidth on the Hoosiers, they only require an 8" rim.

I'm fairly sure everything fits in all directions except for brake clearance. It may even be dependent on the particular 16 I go with.

Just wondering if anyone has first-hand experience.
There's a decent selection of 16" wheels that work but you'll be hard pressed to find a 16" wheel in the 5-110 bolt pattern that is wide enough for the tire size you noted. The minimum recommended rim width for that size is 8 inches. Also, a 28x11.50 tire is pretty aggressive and will likely rub under hard acceleration. You may want to consider the BFG TT T/A Drag Radial in size 255/50R-16. This size is just a little shorter when compared to the O.E. tires (lower gearing) and is approved for a 7" to 9" wide wheel. See the links below for more details.

16" Wheel Options: Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct
255/50R-16 TT T/A Drag Radial: Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just curious - why do you need wide tires for drag racing a Sky? Can you get your tires to break out? I have the Redline and I've never gotten mine to break on the straight away.
Something may be wrong with your car...stock with both auto and manual mine would break loose. I could keep stockers spinning into 2nd with manual. Now on e47 and auto would break loose anytime I wanted with stock tires. ..even third gear when wet....i now have conti Dr in 275s and it's much better.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With first gear torque limited to 50% ramping to 80%, I still spin incredibly easily on the street and I spin pretty hard shifting to second. On the track, it tends to stick OK, but obviously I'm torque limiting first and I could unleash a lot more power if I had tires to match.

I currently run M/T ET Streets in 245/40/18 (mostly only at the track), and they simply aren't sticky enough for a full power first gear. They do tend to hold the shift to second with little more than a chirp though.

I appreciate the wheel confirmation from the Discount Tire folks. I don't think that 255/50/16 is going to hold full power first gear either. I need a 275 (or larger equivalent, since full slicks are inches not mm) drag radial or full slick. I am a little concerned whether or not the 28" height tire will fit, but I wonder if anyone has tried it? I know it fits, I don't know if it rubs when the car hunkers down at full throttle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I appreciate the wheel confirmation from the Discount Tire folks. I don't think that 255/50/16 is going to hold full power first gear either. I need a 275 (or larger equivalent, since full slicks are inches not mm) drag radial or full slick. I am a little concerned whether or not the 28" height tire will fit, but I wonder if anyone has tried it? I know it fits, I don't know if it rubs when the car hunkers down at full throttle.
I'm glad we could help :thumbs:

For reference, the metric equivalent to the 28x11.50R-16 size is 295/50R-16.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts