Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the Chrome Alloy Wheels are truly an issue and might prevent me from getting the car that I want before summer is over... I might, in an act of frustration, consider the thought of ordering the Chrome Cast Wheel.

Knowing absolutely nothing about these things - are there any technical advantages/disadvantages to using the Chrome Cast wheels?

I know about the disadvantage to my finances - but if there were any technical advantages, I really would give it true consideration. It might also give me the ability to order the car before summer!!!

Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Should not be any diff...Seal9

·
Registered
256 Posts
From what I understand, the make-up of the wheels aren't any different at all. The reason the others are so expensive is the fact that they are an after-market wheel. You would be purchasing 4 extra wheels and the dealer would swap them with the originals. This still leaves you with 4 extra wheels. You could always get the standard and then upgrade to chrome later. Of course, in my experience most people say hell with it once they have the car because they don't want to drop another $2200+. I just placed an order with chrome wheels so it shouldn't delay you that much.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Spag said:
If the Chrome Alloy Wheels are truly an issue and might prevent me from getting the car that I want before summer is over... I might, in an act of frustration, consider the thought of ordering the Chrome Cast Wheel.

Knowing absolutely nothing about these things - are there any technical advantages/disadvantages to using the Chrome Cast wheels?

I know about the disadvantage to my finances - but if there were any technical advantages, I really would give it true consideration. It might also give me the ability to order the car before summer!!!

Any thoughts? :confused:

are u comparing the 800$ pair tothe 2000$ pair?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I explained the differences here already;
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39068&postcount=13

But people are confusing the names of these wheels. These wheels are not "cast chrome" they're chrome covered cast aluminum. The $2000 wheels are GM aftermarket wheels that you're buying an extra entire set of wheels without tires that you have to replace your current wheels with. Which means you now have two entire sets of wheels. If you really like the GM ones you can get them, but for $2000 you could buy light weight racing wheels for this car. Aftermarket chrome wheels cost like $150-$300 each instead of the ridiculuous ammount GM charges.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
brentil said:

But people are confusing the names of these wheels. These wheels are not "cast chrome" they're chrome covered cast aluminum. The $2000 wheels are GM aftermarket wheels that you're buying an extra entire set of wheels without tires that you have to replace your current wheels with. Which means you now have two entire sets of wheels. If you really like the GM ones you can get them, but for $2000 you could buy light weight racing wheels for this car. Aftermarket chrome wheels cost like $150-$300 each instead of the ridiculuous ammount GM charges.
So if I pay $2000.00 for the GM after market wheels I should leave the dealership with the aftermarket wheels on the car and the 4 factory wheels, stored in the trunk of course! :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
richmcc said:
So if I pay $2000.00 for the GM after market wheels I should leave the dealership with the aftermarket wheels on the car and the 4 factory wheels, stored in the trunk of course! :D
if that is someone elses trunk..... you could see if their parts department would like to buy them from you... they could sell them individually to people that damage their wheels on curbs and such...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Painted aluminum wheels???

First off I am really excited. I just received a call from my salesperson that my car can be ordered right now but the holdup would be the $750.00 chrome wheels. Per the salesmen, My choice is the standard aluminum wheel or.... the same wheel but which has been polished to a shine and for $200.00 less or..... get bumped out of line and wait for the $750.00 chrome to be available again. I have gone with the polished and will use the savings for a windshield.... Now waiting for a production week!!!!!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brentil said:

Thanks for the help.
There is no way I would be interested in paying an extra $1200 for the same wheels!! Guess I'll just cross my fingers and wait!

:eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
vairman said:
First off I am really excited. I just received a call from my salesperson that my car can be ordered right now but the holdup would be the $750.00 chrome wheels. Per the salesmen, My choice is the standard aluminum wheel or.... the same wheel but which has been polished to a shine and for $200.00 less or..... get bumped out of line and wait for the $750.00 chrome to be available again. I have gone with the polished and will use the savings for a windshield.... Now waiting for a production week!!!!!:thumbs:

I was able to submit my image today after debating the painted, polished or chrome wheels. When the dealer was entering in my order the only wheels it would take was the painted. Which after seeing it on a newly delievered SKY at the dealers, it didn't look that bad. Like other have said earlier the painted wheels matches the trim around the windshield. When I was about to leave my dealer tried one last time to change my order and entered in the polished wheels which surprisingly took and was successfully changed. :willy:
Now playing the waiting game for my actual sky to be delivered!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts