Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, for you DIY's I changed my oil yesterday after 500 miles. I changed to Mobil 1. I already owned a nice floor jack, so I went to sports authority and bought a hockey puck for 99 cents and a eyebolt for 36 cents and screwed the eyebolt into the center of the hockey puck and presto for $1.36 I had one of these lifting pads. I put the puck in the slot on the side of the car and turned it so it stayed on the car and applied the jack on the bottom of the puck and jacked the car right up with no problem. Found a good area for a jack stand, put that in place and changed the oil. It was neat looking at a new car from underneath, everything brand new and all. I was worried about damaging the car by jacking it up, but it turned on to be real easy with the puck, I made an extra one in case I loose one. The filter is on top so that was very easy also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
ShowMeSky said:
Hello everyone, for you DIY's I changed my oil yesterday after 500 miles. I changed to Mobil 1. I already owned a nice floor jack, so I went to sports authority and bought a hockey puck for 99 cents and a eyebolt for 36 cents and screwed the eyebolt into the center of the hockey puck and presto for $1.36 I had one of these lifting pads. I put the puck in the slot on the side of the car and turned it so it stayed on the car and applied the jack on the bottom of the puck and jacked the car right up with no problem. Found a good area for a jack stand, put that in place and changed the oil. It was neat looking at a new car from underneath, everything brand new and all. I was worried about damaging the car by jacking it up, but it turned on to be real easy with the puck, I made an extra one in case I loose one. The filter is on top so that was very easy also.
John, why don't you open a Sky garage and do these things for a living.

The hocky puck was a great idea. I'll have to try that.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
You are a genius, thanks. Get a picture or two of it and post please.

Imaged 23/06/06
...and waiting...
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
wheel locks
Cold Air Intake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Earlier today, I asked my dealer's service people about switching to synthetic. They told me that the oil life management won't know that synthetic oil is being used and won't properly be able to measure oil life.

I was wondering if you discussed this with your dealer or know otherwise? I would like to switch to synthetic as well, but I also want the DIC to work...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jarcher said:
Earlier today, I asked my dealer's service people about switching to synthetic. They told me that the oil life management won't know that synthetic oil is being used and won't properly be able to measure oil life.

I was wondering if you discussed this with your dealer or know otherwise? I would like to switch to synthetic as well, but I also want the DIC to work...
I didn't ask anyone, I know others on the forum have changed to synthetic, I never have had a car with oil life management before. On my Cobra I used synthetic and change it at 5000 miles and it was fine. From what I have heard the oil life management system lets you go pretty long between oil changes, I do plan on watching the oil life management system but I am going to change my oil every 5000 miles regardless what it says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
StarlightSky said:
You are a genius, thanks. Get a picture or two of it and post please.

Imaged 23/06/06
...and waiting...
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
wheel locks
Cold Air Intake
Yah I'm a genius :lol: I'm so brilliant I can't figure out how to post pictures:banghead: My son took some pictures of the car the other day to post and the forum says the pictures are too large and we can't figure out how to resize them, when we do figure it out I'll include a picture of the puck. It was very easy to make and worked well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,056 Posts
ShowMeSky said:
Yah I'm a genius :lol: I'm so brilliant I can't figure out how to post pictures:banghead: My son took some pictures of the car the other day to post and the forum says the pictures are too large and we can't figure out how to resize them, when we do figure it out I'll include a picture of the puck. It was very easy to make and worked well!
PM me and I'll give you my e-mail and you can send me the pics and I'll rezie them for ya.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Synthetic

If the Synthetic is supposed to give better life than regular oil then the info from the oil life system will still be useful - just not entirely accurate. So it is just a metter of determining how much better the synthetic is. If it is 10% better - then change it when the info center indicated 110% of life has been reached (unless it doesn't go over 100% but displays some other message - then you'll have to do some estimating) the real trick I suppose is determining how much longer the synthetic reall will last.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top