Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took little BanShee to St. Louis for the weekend. Learning to travel light was a totally new experience for my wife, but she handled it fairly well. Can get more in the trunk than you'd think as long as you use duffel type bags.

The positives--

Cruises great on the highway and handling was exceptional. Set the cruise on 83 on the interstate and there was plenty left if you wanted to get around someone in a hurry. Trip was mostly interstate, fair amount of country 2 lane and a bunch of the old part of StL with a stop sign every block. 862 miles and averaged 27.2mpg for the trip, so I was relatively pleased. In the bootheel of Mo. a woman asked if she could take our picture. Being strikingly handsome, this is not unusual but then she asked me to move so she could get a better picture of the car. At a gas station in the thriving metropolis of Elsberry, Mo. a man came up and started asking all the usual questions along with his tale of frustration in finding one. Noticed that there wasn't another car at the station and asked him what he was driving and he pointed across the fence. He had stopped a 60 boxcar freight train to come over and check out the Sky. On a section of 4 lane state highway an Audi TT pulled up along side. I glanced over and he gave me a look and a little smirking "hmph". The next thing he was looking at was a Tennessee tag pulling off into the distance. At 115 I was told to either slow down or let her out. Tempting as that was, I opted to slow down, but we didn't see the Audi again. Saw a couple of Sols, but no other Skys on the entire trip. Wind noise was less than I expected.

The not quite so positives.

You can feel the expansion joints all the way up to your teeth, but then again, it's a short wheelbase sports car so what did I expect? Don't think the seats are going to last in the long term. True, my svelte 280lbs of blue, twisted steel does put some strain on a seat cushion, but my 114lb wife's butt was getting sore after about 3 hours. Around town it's not a big deal, but on a trip the lack of storage is REALLY noticable. You have to be very careful about what you buy since there's no place to put anything. Kappaspere is supposed to have their luggage rack available soon. Going to have to have one if we're ever going to take the Sky on another trip. Not the car's fault, but picked up two rock chips, one on the mirror and one on the trunk. I was sick about it the whole weekend.

Overall a great experience. Don't think I'd want to go much more than
about 300 miles at a time or it would start just beating me to death. Definitely need the luggage rack since my wife can't stand to have less than 25 pairs of shoes at her disposal at all times.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Great Review!

Thanks for the story, and now it gets even harder to wait only 11 more days :banghead:
Sounds like the Red Line Sky has about the same jarring as our corvette, trip from Tulsa, OK to Springfield, MO 3-hours and it was time to get out and stretch the butt checks, seats fit like a leather glove but not any wiggle room. So they are 2-seat roadsters what were we expecting - yep that sums it up.
I have a red Audi TT in my home town likes to cut me off when I am in the large white buffalo aka Impala, can't wait to leave him in my exhaust! :jester:
Hurry up Skybaby, hope she is on a train today!

TulsaSky
:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The not quite so positives.

Around town it's not a big deal, but on a trip the lack of storage is REALLY noticable. You have to be very careful about what you buy since there's no place to put anything. Kappaspere is supposed to have their luggage rack available soon. Going to have to have one if we're ever going to take the Sky on another trip. Not the car's fault, but picked up two rock chips, one on the mirror and one on the trunk. I was sick about it the whole weekend.

QUOTE]

Packing is a challenge -- but we managed a weeks worth with room to spare. Also I began doing one thing even before we had a SKY -- Most things I buy while on a trip -- I have shipped home. You pay a bit more (although some places pick up the tab) but there is replacement if it is damaged.
I think the Luggage rack would be pretty cool, but, I worry about weight on the deck.

As far as comfort -- I have rarely been more comfortable in a car and we did 830 Miles straight without a creak..:D

Have fun!:cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts