Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
So I just re did it last night but with the tool I was told to buy to eliminate all the air and I used the cone shape to mount the tool on top and after using the vacuum it was able to hold vacuum. But thermostat doesn’t seem to open. I just ordered a thermostat from the dealership and will be here Wednesday. I’ll keep everyone updated to see if I fixed my issues.
It wouldn't be the first time that a replacement part was bad out of the box.

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I just took the thermostat out and put it in boiling water, the thermostat opened and closed when I put cold water. I don’t know what else my issue could be.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
I just took the thermostat out and put it in boiling water, the thermostat opened and closed when I put cold water. I don’t know what else my issue could be.
Unless the water pump is somehow not pumping, which seems impossible, or a hose is crushed or blocked and won't transfer water, you have to have air in the system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Unless the water pump is somehow not pumping, which seems impossible, or a hose is crushed or blocked and won't transfer water, you have to have air in the system.
Vacuumed all the air yesterday and just replaced that water pump. I just took the thermostat and see if it would run without the thermostat and it’s not even holding vacuum.

·
Registered
885 Posts
my diagnoses was based on your statement that you ALREADY removed the tstat and that it would now not hold a vacuum.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
Vacuumed all the air yesterday and just replaced that water pump. I just took the thermostat and see if it would run without the thermostat and it’s not even holding vacuum.
Didn't you say earlier that once you used the correct adapter on the vacuum pump that it did hold vacuum?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Didn't you say earlier that once you used the correct adapter on the vacuum pump that it did hold vacuum?
I did but now it’s not when the thermostat isn’t in the system and when I just drove it, I see it bubbling around the thermostat housing where the thermostat is suppose to go. Sooo now I have to take it apart and put the gasket back in there to be on the safe side but if it isn’t the thermostat what else could cause it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I found out to the issue as to why the car overheats. I just found out that the water pump isn't spinning because the Timing Chain isn't spinning but the car sounds fine and runs fine which makes no sense. I am taking the timing cover off this weekend and see what happened to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
My guess would be that the chain dropped off of the drive gear when the pump was changed.
Which is weird because it was on when I put the pump on. Could be something broke on the inside. I have to take the whole front cover off to see what happened.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I found out to the issue as to why the car overheats. I just found out that the water pump isn't spinning because the Timing Chain isn't spinning but the car sounds fine and runs fine which makes no sense. I am taking the timing cover off this weekend and see what happened to it.
This has been an issue on multiple cars recently (including mine). Since you had replaced the water pump I figured that this wasn't the issue as for me it was very obvious when I went to replace my water pump.

On mine the sprocket had completely stripped on the crank.

Here was my experience:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts