Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone over at GMI mentioned that it would be possible, with some modification to the ECU, to use the 2.0L DI Head and Turbo setup on a 2.4L block. Since both Engines are Gen II Ecotec.

People swap heads on older cars all the time, do you think some company will come out with an Engine kit to do this? They might have to give you a new Crank, connecting rods, and pistons, but as an overhaul kit it would be nice to see. Something for the TRUE modder!

·
Registered
67 Posts
it would be alot more than swapping heads, the bore is different so the heads would need to be machinced.... Also the fuel system would need completely replaced, and the ecu reprogrammed.... New crank, and rods probably wouldn't be needed but pistons might. It seems like a lot of work for not much benefit... I mean it could be done, but it would be costly, you would probably get better gas milage and a little more power, but for the price there would be MUCH better options IMO

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soslowgtp said:
it would be alot more than swapping heads, the bore is different so the heads would need to be machinced.... Also the fuel system would need completely replaced, and the ecu reprogrammed.... New crank, and rods probably wouldn't be needed but pistons might. It seems like a lot of work for not much benefit... I mean it could be done, but it would be costly, you would probably get better gas milage and a little more power, but for the price there would be MUCH better options IMO
Someone was saying with work (other upgrades) you could get this engine up to 400-500 HP.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It would be much smarter to use all that money and build the 2.4 port injection for boost. To swap to DI you'd need special pistons, a machined head, injectors, fuel pump, ECU, possibly rods, possibly a bigger turbo (it would proably run out of breath early on the 2.4), etc. You could get more HP a lot cheaper by just building the 2.4.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If you really want the new engine in the old car you're jsut better off buying the crate engine more then liekly, then making some sort of franken-engine.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
If you really want the new engine in the old car you're jsut better off buying the crate engine more then liekly, then making some sort of franken-engine.
That's what I am thinking, could someone create a crate engine for this. They sell crate kits minus the block (so you can customize your engine) for older cars.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
That's what I am thinking, could someone create a crate engine for this. They sell crate kits minus the block (so you can customize your engine) for older cars.
GM sells official crate engines. You can just buy the entire thing straight from them and get a good shop to replace your normal engine with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would not do it for all the reasons cited, plus:
it is only a matter of time (and probably not that much) until the aftermarket is offering heads that are better than anything stock. It took only about a year after the LSx V8s came out before there were ported versions available. It took a little longer for REALLY good heads, with larger valves and so forth to become available, but that, too, will happen soon, given that the Ecotech is used in so many cars prone to be hot rodded.

Given all the labor and effort it would take to switch heads, etc., I would count on being able to buy at least a much ported version of the stock head, maybe with slightly oversized valves, better springs, etc., along with trubo kits, etc., for the 2.4.

Sorta what I'm counting on doing down the road.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Given all the labor and effort it would take to switch heads, etc., I would count on being able to buy at least a much ported version of the stock head, maybe with slightly oversized valves, better springs, etc., along with trubo kits, etc., for the 2.4.
With a turbo kit, porting the heads doesn't make much sense. I guarantee that the boost will fill your cylinders to any extent you might wish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
kingarthur said:
With a turbo kit, porting the heads doesn't make much sense. I guarantee that the boost will fill your cylinders to any extent you might wish.
Simply put, and meaning no offense, but that is simply wrong. Ported heads help a boosted engine take in the pressurized air better.

Ported heads help most when the boost is provided by a pressure generating mechanism like a turbo or a centrifugal supercharger (Procharger or Vortech) and somewhat less (about 40% less) when it is from a flow generating unit like a roots or modified roots (screw type) blower like an Eaton or Wieand. Its gets pretty technical as to why. Here is a link to a thread on another forum where it is explained a bit: if you go down to the second message in the thread you will come to a long posting from me on this.
http://www.corvetteforums.com/Procharger_the_best_fi_option_out_there?/m_3783/tm.htm
You get gains in a lot of things you care about when you port the heads: lower heating, less likelihood of detonation at any particular HP output, gains coming in at lower RPM, and ultimately, more HP. Now, a couple of points: if you have an engine that is running a certain size SC with a certain pulley size producing a certain boost, and you take the heads off and port them, the boost pressure you see will drop, because the resistance to flow is now less with the ported head. But more air is actually flowing, and thus more power. BUT THEN, you can use a smaller pulley (or just depend on the turbos to spool faster) and you can generate EVEN MORE air flow at the same pressure as before.

But turbos respond even better, which is why you really want to port the heads with them: you don't even have to change out a pulley size, they do it automaticallyt.. All that i discussed above with the SC happens when you port the heads, but in addition, the exhaust is now greater, so they spin up faster.

A data point: on my present Procharged 427 vette, with standard Pat II aftermarket heads it produced 570 RWHP at 8 lbs of boost with an SC outlet let temp of around 280 and a temp after the intercoolers of around 170. (It would go to much more boost and power but why we weren't at the time is a long long story). Anyway, without changing Sc or pulley, we put on a set of special ported, big valve (2.08 versus 2.02 inch) intake valve PATIII heads that flowed 340+ vs the PatII's 307. HP jumped to 590 at only 6 lbs of boost and an outlet temp went to 250/160. We then changed out to a smaller pulley and went back to 8 lbs boost. RWHP was 640 at 285/170 degrees.

You can view the engine at:
http://www.corvetteforums.com/albumphoto.asp?albumid=4&asortType=2&apage=1

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So, Lee - you're saying "port your heads", right? ;)

Any guesses as to torque/hp gain from stock (assuming stock isn't any special treatment).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, but of course have it done by a really good shop, and look into aftermarket offerings: either stock head castings that someone has put wider valves in, or aftermarket castings (no doubt AFR will have heads for the Ecotech eventually).

HP gains? N/A, it can almost double the gain you get from a cam upgrade. SC'd it depends, but about 5% of the total.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts