Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though this is a small car it's still RWD. 260hp is a respectable number but I'd really want to get it in the 315 range, tune it up and get it in the 12s 1/4 mile.

Can this 2.0L engine hold up? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not too familiar with ecotec or GM for that matter. I'm more familiar with the reliability and power of the mitsubishi 4g63 engine (same one used in EVO). I owned a turbo eclise :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
chilln2music said:
Even though this is a small car it's still RWD. 260hp is a respectable number but I'd really want to get it in the 315 range, tune it up and get it in the 12s 1/4 mile.

Can this 2.0L engine hold up? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not too familiar with ecotec or GM for that matter. I'm more familiar with the reliability and power of the mitsubishi 4g63 engine (same one used in EVO). I owned a turbo eclise :rolleyes:
GM had a 2.0 ecotec up to 750hp so the block will indeed hold. With oil squirters and forged rods you'll be able to see 12s on this car with ease. Just...not on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. What mods are you doing besides the ones listed in your signature...I'm sure you're going to have to do quite a few with that turbo. fuel pump, management, injectors, internals? Also how did you decide on the FP3065 turbo? There's NO power till 4,300 RPM and the Redline redlines at less than 6,300 RPM. Although the HP jumps up like crazy at 4.5k plus RPM. Is there a rev limiter? Is it safe to bring these ecotec engines to 7k or higher RPM?

·
Registered
231 Posts
chilln2music said:
Thanks for the info. What mods are you doing besides the ones listed in your signature...I'm sure you're going to have to do quite a few with that turbo. fuel pump, management, injectors, internals? Also how did you decide on the FP3065 turbo? There's NO power till 4,300 RPM and the Redline redlines at less than 6,300 RPM. Although the HP jumps up like crazy at 4.5k plus RPM. Is there a rev limiter? Is it safe to bring these ecotec engines to 7k or higher RPM?
The 2.0L is a square motor with a completely forged rotating assembly. It should be able to spin a lot higher then stock. The problem is the stock turbo will probably be out of breath at that point.

Other mods...The fuel pump is driven by a lobe on the cam and can't be upgraded any time soon. Direct Injection requires extremely high fuel pressures and there's nothing on the market right now that can do the job, as far as I know. No larger injectors are available. Internals - the stock bottom end should be pretty stout. Fuel management - It uses a BOSCH ECU so there's a good chance it will be cracked prior to release. So hopefully you'll be able to tune the engine....it's just if the other components can handle enough flow for the added power.

·
Registered
166 Posts
chilln2music said:
Ah, I was just speculating when I wrote it since I have one in my DSM and I'm hoping to just swap it right over with an exhaust housing change. We'll see when the car is actually produced what is ideal (probably something MUCH smaller)

I was reading an article somewhere that the stock fuel system's flow capacity should be good until 550hp. More air (bigger turbo) requires more fuel to keep your engine from destroying itself so hopefully someone will discover a set of diesel injectors or something to make a nice quick fix for the limitations of the stock fuel system. I doubt GM would shoot itself in the foot by maxxing out the fuel system stock so there will be at least some breathing room. I'm certain that since this engine will be GM's flagship Comp Cams or someone will be on the job and we'll have cams within the year. Granted I'm just speculating, actual results may vary but there will be the demand since the ecotec is GM's new flagship small engine.

Supporting mods are always necessary when upgrading an engine. I'm sure with more power the stock suspension will not like to hook. From what I've been reading it doesn't like hooking with 140rwhp. Since there are no drifturu tracks in the area and I don't really want the car to be a Supraesque dyno queen I'll be looking at suspension mods. After the car starts to hook and it frags the rear diff I'd be looking into picking up a new rear. I understand the guys at Mallet solved that problem. I guess the stock transmission is reasonably stout since Mallet is using it but I'd be looking at a rebuild after a few thousand miles probably. The list goes on but it's early, I haven't had my coffee yet and the car is three or four months out minimum so I have a long time to revise my lift. I've been making cars fast for a few years so I have an idea of what will be involved. I just hope GM designs this car stronger stock than the third generation Camaro so I don't have to piece through it and replace every last stock component down to the wiring system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good info. i'll start with the initial mods...intake, turbo back 3" exhaust, and boost controller. i'm sure that will squeeze out some hiddent hp even on the stock turbo. does anyone know the size of the stock turbo?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Only time will tell. New motor, so only till people get their hands on it and do some experimentation and research will we know how strong, capable, or good a motor it is. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
chilln2music said:

If you can recalibrate the ECU (INCA/ETAS software) the car has to be easily capable of another 20hp without turning up the boost. A nice exhaust system from the downpipe back and turning the boost a few psi should easily place you over the 300hp mark. Any turbo ever offered on a car from the factory should be able to flow nicely at least few psi over the factory setting all the way to redline.

After what I saw this weekend (a cobalt SS running a [email protected] with only a recal and downpipe back, stock pulley, stock tires), I'm positive the sky is even more capable judging from the factory power ratings and equipment. That gave me a renewed sense that GM's compact stuff can really perform if you eliminate a few small roadblocks.

Just my opinion, grain of sand, no proof to back it.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The RedBull FormulaD car is a modified Solstice GXP. We've got some detailed specs over there on what's exactly different between the engines, but that car produces 550HP and 450ft-lbs using the same engine as the basis. The ECOtec is a wonderfully documented and proven engine platform. The GXP is based off what GM is calling the 2nd gen block design which was first ontroduced in the LE5 engine (the current base Sky/Solstice engine) which builds on the current LSJ engine (2.0L Supercharged ECOtec).

·
Registered
231 Posts
brentil said:
The RedBull FormulaD car is a modified Solstice GXP. We've got some detailed specs over there on what's exactly different between the engines, but that car produces 550HP and 450ft-lbs using the same engine as the basis. The ECOtec is a wonderfully documented and proven engine platform. The GXP is based off what GM is calling the 2nd gen block design which was first ontroduced in the LE5 engine (the current base Sky/Solstice engine) which builds on the current LSJ engine (2.0L Supercharged ECOtec).
Yes, but there is nothing on the drift cars engine that remotely resembles the production GXP engine. The only similarity is that they both use Gen II blocks. After that you'd be hard pressed to find any part on that engine that you can compare the stock car to.

We got into this the other day on the Solstice Forum. I don't feel like re-typing everything I said so click the link if you want to know more.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=290622&postcount=23

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do I want stuff to break or not to break, that is the question!

Based on the turbo C6s I've seen the car they are holding up great with a 50% power increase, I hope the Sky is similar.
My Camaro's clutch and rear end only lasted 10,000 miles with more power.:banghead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts