Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a depsoit down on a Sky about two weeks ago and plan to use it as a weekend car that I'll put very few miles on. I plan to keep my current car, a 1999 Saab 9-5 as my daily driver. I noticed that my Saab has a 2.4L eco tec turbo engine, which I assume is probably the same block? I dont have an aero edition so my engine only pushes 170hp but there is aftermarket pcm programing to get it to 230hp safley. My question is could I theoretically switch out the pistons for the sky with lower compression ones from my saab or another saab, use a Saab exhaust manifold with the turbo on there and pay to have some custom programing done and have a 230hp sky? I know there would probably be some more issues such as the sky is rear drive and the saab front so the exhaust manifolds might be very different in shape/size. It would probably as cost effective to wait for the redline but does anyone think this sounds pretty do-able?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Saab's are not Ecotec's. At least not that I know of. The 2.0 Turbo could be the same block as the 2.0 Super but the others are not on any US cars.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You would get better results from adding an after market turbo or S/C setup to the base Sky if the redline is not immediately available. Saab engine not the same.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"2.4L eco tec turbo engine, which I assume is probably the same block? I dont have an aero edition so my engine only pushes 170hp "
Sounds like something's wrong here. A 2.4 that is turboed and only gets 170HP doesn't sound reasonable, since the non-turbo 2.4 Ecotec gets up to 177HP.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The 2.3L Saab engine in the 9-5 is not ecotec derrived. Only the 9-3 has an ecotec engine.

The 2.3L 9-5 engine, known as the "H engine" is a derrivative of the old Saab B engine and was originally introduced in 1981.

In 2003, the Epsilon based 9-3 switched to the GM ecotec engine.

So in other words, switching pistons is not likely going to help you out.

More Saab engine info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_H_engine#B235

·
Registered
57 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Saab's are not Ecotec's. At least not that I know of. The 2.0 Turbo could be the same block as the 2.0 Super but the others are not on any US cars.
The Saab 9-3 runs a 2.0 turbocharged ecotec.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sol43621 said:
The Saab 9-3 runs a 2.0 turbocharged ecotec.
Yea, but the European ones. Opel and Saab seem to have a slightly different set of Engines than we do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok, I'm by no means a Sabb expert. Yet, I was under the impression that the sabbs were built from Subaru platforms, and drivetrains..? Am I wrong?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Ok, I'm by no means a Sabb expert. Yet, I was under the impression that the sabbs were built from Subaru platforms, and drivetrains..? Am I wrong?
Only the 9-2x. It's based on the Subaru WRX.

·
Registered
623 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Saab 9-3, 9-5 based on heavily modified versions of Epsilon (Vectra, Malibu, G6, Aura). Built in Sweden with Ecotec Engines from the Saab/Opel catalog.

Saab 9-2X is a Subaru Impreza (Base) and an Impreza WRX (Areo)

Saab 9-7X is a GMT-360 (TrailBlazer/Envoy)

·
Registered
92 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Saab 9-3, 9-5 based on heavily modified versions of Epsilon (Vectra, Malibu, G6, Aura). Built in Sweden with Ecotec Engines from the Saab/Opel catalog.

Saab 9-2X is a Subaru Impreza (Base) and an Impreza WRX (Areo)

Saab 9-7X is a GMT-360 (TrailBlazer/Envoy)

HAHA.. what is true and pure these days?? I mean even the Vette is shared with the XLR. WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO :willy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts