Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be interested in me doing a write up on removing stock PCV system and implementing one that works with a catch can?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok suite yourself. Gather oil in your intake manifold, Maybe it will help lubricate your valve seats... LOL

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ah come-on, don’t let the MM ogre thwart you :)
please share...........

And photos are always a plus:thumbs:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2.4l pcv system is flawed. it uses a port in the intake manifold and a passage in the head to pull the crankcase vapors out. The biggest reason this is not a good system is due to the fact there isnt a pcv valave, only a vacuum plate as seen in these first couple pictures. When boosting or hard cornering oil can make its way down port in the head and building up in the intake manifold. Here is how I fixed this issue.

You will have to first remove your intake manifold. You will see something like the pictures above.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
next take the small metal "pcv" plate and attach a screw to block the hole. I put some sealer around it to make sure oil will not make its way back to the intake. Here is what mine looked like.
Make sure you use a screw with a flat head to keep it as close to the pcv plate as possible. Also make sure you install the gasket and plate back into the intake manifold with the screw head facing the cylinder head. You may want to clean out your intake manifold if there is oil in it before re installing. Next take your catch can and add 2 Pcv valves in it. One should allow air or vacuum to pass and the other will only allow boost to pass. I modified my ebay catch can and installed a breather filter on the "boost" pcv valve ( or PCV 2 in the picture). Pcv 1 will allow the vac to pull crankcase vapor out and into the catch can, it will shut once the car produces boost. Pcv2 will open up allowing venting for crankcase pressure after the catch can.
Hope this drawing helps explain. The PCV system will now pull vapors out of the vent tube on the valve cover and place oil residue in the catch can rather than in the intake manifold. Also the valve cover is baffled before the vent tube to prevent oil splashing. Here is a picture of mine.
This works too, it stopped oil pooling in the intake and burning oil while boosting. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

·
Registered
873 Posts
SLVRSKY07, I'm getting oil throughout my charge tubes, intercooler, and intake manifold. Here's a couple shots of the setup. I understand the part that I need to block off the pressure plate in the intake manifold and install a PCV valve (PCV valve 2) on the OCC. What I don't understand with my current setup is the hose leaving my OCC to the intake tube, aft of my air filter. Am I to remove that hose and relocate it to the intake manifold? If so, I'll need to block off the nipple on the charge tube the hose currently attaches to. Then, I'll have to drill a hole in the intake manifold, attach a fitting to it, then reattach the hose I disconnected and add an in-line PCV valve (PCV valve 1). Am I correct in this?

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will need to relocate it after the TB, This is so you have full VAC. This may correct your issues.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Yes,yes and yes.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
873 Posts
I did this mod a while back and at first it seemed to work great. I made a few changes to the setup because I am using DDM's OCC. I also added a 90* plastic barb fitting to the intake manifold to run the return line to. I'll have to take pictures of the setup and how it is currently configured. However, I am going to have to change it. The system started blowing the oil dipstick and a considerable amount of oil out probably because there wasn't enough pressure relief. I did notice that I think I have the OCC too far from the vacuum source which may be part of my problem. The OCC is currently mounted near the battery on the passenger side. I will end up relocating it to the driver's side and with subsequent shorter hose lengths.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need a 1/2" line or larger for relief. I ran 1/2" for the relief side and 5/16" for the vac side.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Why do this when all you have to do is put a rubber plug on the intake tube.

Then put an air filter on the hose to the intake.

Boom! no catch can and crank case can vent through your filter.

a oh... Smog time. Remove air filter and put tube back on intake.

Think simple.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a great way not to suck out those engine vapors while off boost driving and have oil vapors not go into a catch can. What ever works for you man.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The 2.4l pcv system is flawed. it uses a port in the intake manifold and a passage in the head to pull the crankcase vapors out. The biggest reason this is not a good system is due to the fact there isnt a pcv valve, only a vacuum plate as seen in these first couple pictures. When boosting or hard cornering .
Thanks for the write up, I only have one question, " How does one boost a stock 2.4lL engine.......LOL. I know that my car can corner hard......Just wondering about boosting.:confused:

Terry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is old, but why do we need to tap into the intake when there is already a port at the front DS on the valve cover? Wouldn't blocking off the head access to the intake and putting an OCC with 1/2" fuel line on the valve cover port to turbo inlet solve the oiling issues and prevent pressurising the crank case?

I'm fuzzy on how the OP design doesn't bleed boost from the intake venting to atmosphere under WOT.

Am I oversimplifying?

I don't have a lot of oil after 15mo boosted on my 2.4, but a little accumulated in the compressor outlet, very little in the intercooler under hose designed to catch oil and the most in the intake.

I plan to tackle this this weekend.

-Jonny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts