Saturn Sky Forum banner

2 for sale

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Turk 
#1 ·
I was at the Toyota Dealer in Puyallup, a town about 1/2 hour south of Seattle yesterday, getting my car looked at, when I stopped into the Saturn dealer on the way home. They have a red and blue SKY sitting there for sale. Both are manuals, both have chrome wheels, and other add-ons. The red one was $31K and the blue was 30K. The guy I talked to said they have about 60 people on the list and have sold 5 already, so the factory gave them 2 to sell to people not on the list. I sat in both, blue had the top up, and it is a tight fit, my hair rubs the roof. This is with the seat all the way back. I understand what the person who said it was too small to have a manual was saying, there is barely enough room to move your foot to shift and not rub the steering wheel. Guess if you have short legs it's ok, but for me I think I may have to start looking at another car.

#2 ·
skyOwner2be said:
...said they have about 60 people on the list and have sold 5 already, so the factory gave them 2 to sell to people not on the list.
Wait, what? They are giving the dealer cars to sell to people who HAVEN'T waited patiently for their car? That sounds mighty shady to me. I would be very suspectful that the factory has anything to do with this choice by the dealer. I would be hella-pissed if I knew my dealer leap frogged me for someone off the street especially if the Sky sold was the color and options I wanted; and you would think out of 60 people someone would be happy with one of the two Skys. The price tags do seem high though, maybe thats the MSRP list they have going and these are the two cars to pay off the owner's wild weekend in Atlantic City.

#4 ·
I guess I can see the reasoning on one level, but I jut don't like that it seems to defeat the point of having a list started. I see you're Washington DC as well - any idea of the dealers that are getting extras? I wonder if one is Sterling.

#5 ·
Something doesn't seem right here. :confused:
Plus, look at those prices! This story needs to be followed up on. There should be quite a few upset people if this is true :cuss: . For some reason, I dont totally believe it.
:cheers:

#6 ·
It is all politics with the dealer. It happens with all makes. If they sell more cars or agree to buy some lost leaders, they get bonuses.

For example, I'll throw you two skys if you agree to take 5 extra Vues. (Saturn talking to the dealer)

#7 ·
I hope they don't start packaging cars together, "get a 2007 Sky* only with the purchase of a 2006 Ion". Could cars go the way of O's/Redsox tickets?

I guess qwack and ernest wouldn't mind too much if they bundled Saturns. If I had more garage space I'd throw another Saturn in there.

#8 ·
I would not be surprised if Saturn bundled extra Skys with cars they cannot get rid of. Saturn wants the dealer to buy these cars. Saturn does not care how long they sit on the dealer's lot, they are on the dealer's floor plan. Saturn just wants them gone, so they bundle them.

Also, if a high volume dealer hits a certain sales goal for a month, they could be rewarded with extra Sky allocation.

#9 ·
Yea right... If GM gives anything to a dealer, it'll be for show - not for sale.:nono:

One of my local dealerships has 2 Skys as well... One is for immediate sale and the other is for show. The one that they have for sale was ordered by some dumb ass that declined to purchase it after the car was delivered.

It's this kind of crap that makes the rest of us have to wait so much longer... But at least I got a chance to test drive it. :thumbs:

#10 ·
although I put my deposit in January and was 16 on the list I will be getting a Sky in June...not the one I ordered, but here's how it happened....
Apparantely, some dealers were'nt savvy about the ordering process and put in their first few orders. The orders weren't entered properly, therefore weren't what the customers wanted. Now they have cars, but customers are passing and waiting for what they ordered. I too would have waited, as number 16 probably wouldn't get a car til October they told me...so I took one of the three flubbed orders.....ca ching I get a car...albeit not green as I have dreamed over, but I will learn to like the black, as long as I can drive it before the snow flies.

#12 ·
qwack said:
So that's why we had to buy the VUE!?!? :lol:
The more the merrier, I'm sure the VUE will be great when you need to carry more than the SKY can hold or tackle the elements. I can't even imagine another car right now to play with other than my Sky but I wouldn't mind a VUE one bit at all -- treat her well, shes got to be jealous of the Sky.

#13 ·
I could understand GM maybe saying buy 5 IONs and we will allow you to have two VUEs... but it is still too early for them to do that with SKYs.

Plus, since they are charging a markup and Saturn is going to restrict the ordering of the ones that markup... it is basically a double negative there at that retailer. At least in my mind.

#14 ·
Well, like I said in another post somewhere, the local Pontiac dealer had 2 Solstices on their lot and they were both marked up to 31K, and neither looked to me like they had the options that either of these 2 SKYs have. When I mentioned I thought they were all sold out for the first year, the dealer told me no, they got some extras too. I just can't believe they marked them up that much, for a 19K car......better be some diamond encrusted floor mats.

#16 · (Edited)
skyOwner2be said:
They have a red and blue SKY sitting there for sale. Both are manuals, both have chrome wheels, and other add-ons. The red one was $31K and the blue was 30K.
Wow, I paid $28K for mine, tax, title, license, out the door. Granted, I didn't get the XM or chrome wheels, but everything else. $3 to $4k more than I paid reads like dealer incentive pricing to me.:eek:

#17 ·
I was at the same dealer and am on the waiting list for a SKY. At that time (4/14) they had one red SKY that was decked out, but was a demonstrator and “not for sale.” They told me the only dealer option the car had was Lojack. Since it is a demonstrator the Lojack makes sense since they don’t want to loose the car. They did say they would be getting 2 additional Sky’s in that were not spoken for. They also said that they would be adding dealer options (i.e., Lojack, wheels, etc.), thus jacking up the price. They offered to call me when the cars came in, but I am not interested the dealers add ons. They also said that they had ordered about 12 Sky’s so far. I put my deposit down the first week in December and am suppose to be number 27 on the waiting list. I was not happy to hear about the 2 un-spoken for but if they came off the same waiting list I am on, it really does not make a difference as to when I get my car. I get to order when slot 27 comes up.:rolleyes:

#19 ·
1994SC2 said:
I guess I can see the reasoning on one level, but I jut don't like that it seems to defeat the point of having a list started. I see you're Washington DC as well - any idea of the dealers that are getting extras? I wonder if one is Sterling.
We were in the Sterling Saturn last week and they weren't taking any orders. We put our names on a wait list in case someone backs out of a Sky that they already ordered. They did have one Sky in the showroom, but it was sold. It had the top up and was locked - no one was allowed to touch it. It came in while the guy who ordered it was out of the country, so they put it in the showroom until he could pick it up over the weekend.

The Saturn in Woodbridge has one Sky in their showroom that is not for sale, but you can sit in it. They said that they don't let anyone test drive it, but they did finally let us last Saturday. It is midnight blue and a stick shift - pretty much loaded with all the options. It was a great test drive. We ordered a silver-graphite sky for my wife from Woodbridge Saturn that day.

#20 ·
duke15 said:
We were in the Sterling Saturn last week and they weren't taking any orders. We put our names on a wait list in case someone backs out of a Sky that they already ordered. They did have one Sky in the showroom, but it was sold. It had the top up and was locked - no one was allowed to touch it. It came in while the guy who ordered it was out of the country, so they put it in the showroom until he could pick it up over the weekend.

The Saturn in Woodbridge has one Sky in their showroom that is not for sale, but you can sit in it. They said that they don't let anyone test drive it, but they did finally let us last Saturday. It is midnight blue and a stick shift - pretty much loaded with all the options. It was a great test drive. We ordered a silver-graphite sky for my wife from Woodbridge Saturn that day.
I had heard word that Sterling may be getting a Sky while the buyer was out of town. I’m sure they like having something there people can see, though it’s nice to know they are keeping it locked until he returns.

I hope you get your Sky from one of the two dealers soon. I can't say enough good things about Sterling, but it sounds like Woodbridge was accommodating as well. If you get your Graphite you will join Stu, Tiger, and myself as the Northern VA Graphite Owners. (sorry if Im forgetting someone)

#21 · (Edited)
Stu's Sky said:
It is happening in this area too. I think Saturn is throwing a bone to their high volume stores.
Alot of dealer's are entering dealer order's instead of sold customer orders. That way they put them on the lot with a hight mark up. If you look around you can find one thats coming in at MSRP. Just for the fun of it, I found one yesterday that's not sold, MSRP, it took me maybe 10 min. it usually takes a few hours, I was Lucky the, first dealership I called had one coming in that was built already and not sold.

#22 ·
deluke said:
Alot of dealer's are entering dealer order's instead of sold customer orders. That way they put them on the lot with a hight mark up. If you look around you can find one thats coming in at MSRP. Just for the fun of it, I found one yesterday that's not sold, MSRP, it took me maybe 10 min. it usually takes a few hours, I was Lucky the, first dealership I called had one coming in that was built already and not sold.
My dealership just received a sky for them to sell under some high volume gift program. It will be the second one that has come in and goes on the lot for sale (with a $2000 markup with a few "options"). Kinda ticks me off after waiting so long, but what are you gonna do. I'm guessing those at the end of the allocation list wil not be getting their skys this year. :nonod:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.