Saturn Sky Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving around yesterday I cam upon 2 things near my house that got me thinking. First was someone down the street from my house has a black Solstice. I think that from the side and back it is ok, but what is with the buck teeth grill? I never realized how ugly that front end was until yesterday on a black one. I would paint that grill in a heartbeat.
The second thing I saw had me cracking up. It was a red Miata, I would guess about 5 years old, with silver painted around the windshield. I know that isn't stock, and I laughed so hard. It was driving towards me and I thought for a second...."hold on...is that what I think it is....a red Sky driving...???? Noooo!!" Talk about a copycat. Probably thought it looked cool on the Crossfire.
Anyway, I don't know why I just told you all that, guess I wanted someone who could relate, maybe I'm crazy.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
skyOwner2be said:
While driving around yesterday I cam upon 2 things near my house that got me thinking. First was someone down the street from my house has a black Solstice. I think that from the side and back it is ok, but what is with the buck teeth grill? I never realized how ugly that front end was until yesterday on a black one. I would paint that grill in a heartbeat.
The second thing I saw had me cracking up. It was a red Miata, I would guess about 5 years old, with silver painted around the windshield. I know that isn't stock, and I laughed so hard. It was driving towards me and I thought for a second...."hold on...is that what I think it is....a red Sky driving...???? Noooo!!" Talk about a copycat. Probably thought it looked cool on the Crossfire.
Anyway, I don't know why I just told you all that, guess I wanted someone who could relate, maybe I'm crazy.
Some of the Solstice owner's did paint their grill. ( I really don't think it's ugly but could be better). We thought about painting it but we need an automatic because I can't drive the Standard due to 3 shoulder surgery's, and if I need a automatic it has to be a turbo, One good thing it has a plack grill that looks better the the grill in the base car.

Now the Miata I thought was a OK car when they came out, ( For the price ) but didn't like it enough to go buy one, but they don't compare to the Solstice or the Sky , these car's are beautiful.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, some are painting their grills and they look much better when they aren't the focal point.
It's almost like Pontiac got to the front and couldn't figure out how to tie it all together. For me I won't be painting it, I will be exchanging the whole front end.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
tweety said:
Yeah, some are painting their grills and they look much better when they aren't the focal point.
It's almost like Pontiac got to the front and couldn't figure out how to tie it all together. For me I won't be painting it, I will be exchanging the whole front end.
That front split grill is a pontiac thing. I don't know why.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a SKY, but i actually like the grill on the front of the solstice. I think it's cool. Where I live in Maryland though, its the law to have a front license plate and on the solstice, in between the grill is the only place for it...which blocks some of the design. That's the only thing I don't like, otherwise, I think its an awesome looking car.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
skyOwner2be said:
While driving around yesterday I cam upon 2 things near my house that got me thinking. First was someone down the street from my house has a black Solstice. I think that from the side and back it is ok, but what is with the buck teeth grill? I never realized how ugly that front end was until yesterday on a black one.
Be careful -- there are Sol owners about. Our brothers across the GM way don't like it when we give them a hard time.

To each his own opinion, but we all know we love this car and its looks. And only a hyperlink away you can find a forum that thinks the same about the Sol.

·
Registered
945 Posts
skyOwner2be said:
While driving around yesterday I cam upon 2 things near my house that got me thinking. First was someone down the street from my house has a black Solstice. I think that from the side and back it is ok, but what is with the buck teeth grill? I never realized how ugly that front end was until yesterday on a black one. I would paint that grill in a heartbeat. QUOTE]

and over on the solstice forum they get on people's case for bashing SKY's

but I guess on this side it's OK to bash to Solstices

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Split grill is one thing

deluke said:
That front split grill is a pontiac thing. I don't know why.
Having a split grill is one thing - and Pontiac has been doing it for years and years - in most cases with the traingluar Pontiac emblem deipping down between the split elements - the problem that I have with the look of the front end of the solstice (aside from being so rounded and bland) is that the split grill element is disproportionately large compared to the rest of the front end and there is no way to attach a license plate that does not disrupt the very split girll motif.
If you look at any other Pontiac you will genearlly see more than one split element on the front - there may be one predominant split element - but the solstice seems to be unique in having only a single pair of massive grill elements on the front. And I think ever other Pontiac that I have ever seen did not have its split front elements obliterated but the front license plate.

With the GXP at least you have another element onthe front - the lower air intake - and the fog lamps are larger and squared off ( at least looks that way in the pictures on the web ) - and the grills are painted black - so there is a much better balance - but still a problem with the front plate.

A couple years ago I was looking through the book from the Autoshow and realized that (at least for me) any front end with less than about 8 distinct elements seems plain or bland - between 8 and 12 or so seemed to be a good balance of form and function - whereas anything over 12 seemed busy, guady, or otherwise unattractive. The solstice has maybe 7 front end elements - the solstice GXP has 8 - the base Sky has about 10 (depends on whether you count the chrome elements on the hood and if you count the divided fog lamps at one or two each) - while the Sky Red Line also has 10 (again depending on whether you count hood accents and fog lamps) - although I am not crazy about the chrome accent on the brake ducts on the RedLine - I would prefer those be body color - or the same as the base Sky - I don't see how the chrome (or silver) accent bar through the middle could affect air flow so much as to require the change in the accent bezel.

The 2004 GTO has only 8 - but with the hood scoops the 2005 and 2006 have 10 elements to the front end. The original 1964 GTO had 8 to 11 depending on whether you count the dual headlights on each side and the GTO emblem as separate elements. MAzda Miata - about 5 or 6. Honda S2000 - about 6.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
and over on the solstice forum they get on people's case for bashing SKY's

but I guess on this side it's OK to bash to Solstices
At least one of the mods here has a Solstice. We've had this discussion before. I can't say it isn't ok to bash the Solstice but there are enough of us here that appreciate all the help our Solstice brothers and sisters have given us all these months that we don't appreciate people bashing the Solstice or there owners. Not that there is anything wrong with poking a little fun once in a while but I know I have appreciated their participation on this site over the past few months.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
:thumbs:
rick112 said:
I can't say it isn't ok to bash the Solstice but there are enough of us here that appreciate all the help our Solstice brothers and sisters have given us all these months that we don't appreciate people bashing the Solstice or there owners. Not that there is anything wrong with poking a little fun once in a while but I know I have appreciated their participation on this site over the past few months.:thumbs:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the front of the Sol. ( the following by no means should be taken as an insult! ) The entire look is a beautiful 1960's retro approach, well rounded and very intentional looking. A true sportscar attitude, Bravo Pontiac! Many world famous 50's & 60's era cars share these same attribute's. I still like the Sky way way better!

·
Registered
115 Posts
rocky777 said:
I have a SKY, but i actually like the grill on the front of the solstice. I think it's cool. Where I live in Maryland though, its the law to have a front license plate and on the solstice, in between the grill is the only place for it...which blocks some of the design. That's the only thing I don't like, otherwise, I think its an awesome looking car.
i totally agree. i think putting your plate smack in the middle of the solstice grill does not look cool at all unless the plate could be bent to fit it's curve. The square, straight edge of the license plate ultimately competes with the curved design of the grill....................just my opinion....take it for what it's worth................:cool:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Be careful -- there are Sol owners about. Our brothers across the GM way don't like it when we give them a hard time.

To each his own opinion, but we all know we love this car and its looks. And only a hyperlink away you can find a forum that thinks the same about the Sol.
:agree: Dont like it when either owners put eachothers cars down :nono: . They bought a Solstice because they loved it and we bought a Sky because we love it. But....... bottom line is we are all a GM family...:grouphug:

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
I always thought the Solstice envoked more of a 30's feel and don't know why. It's definatly more of a retro look than the Sky. I'm a Pontiac guy though too so there's no way I could bash a Sol. It's like the Grand Prixs and Buick Regal guys...we help each other out...but we still poke fun at one another on occasion so long as it is in good humor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The grill on the pontiac is fine, the main problem with the grill is when they poured the mold the end result for the plastic came out really cheap looking. Reminds me of was i was a kid and used to mess around with models.I was really surpised they did not catch that in time. Pretty easy fix some chrome paint or send out to have the thing chrome.

·
Registered
804 Posts
skyOwner2be said:

Yep, loony as a bird...gota be the reason.:D

·
Registered
517 Posts
has anyone tried a chrome wheel? :confused: the sol doesn't have a spare tire, right? :confused: so buy a spare on a chrome rim and use some tie wire to attach it to the grill of the sol. :)

chromies are awesome, this would make the grill look great, and it would make a chromie functional too! :thumbs:

maybe you could do it to a sky too??!!?!?:cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like the Sol, I especially like the rear end of it. I like the recessed taillights, it reminds me of the Lotus eliese (or however it is spelled) As for the front end, I like that also, I like the round metal. Todays cars are all square and the solstace is not, which makes it a good car for those who don't like to conform.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
agirltrucker said:
:agree: Dont like it when either owners put eachothers cars down :nono: . They bought a Solstice because they loved it and we bought a Sky because we love it. But....... bottom line is we are all a GM family...:grouphug:
Well said! If you want to pick on another car you could try a Citroen 2CV - one of the ugliest cars made - and not a sister to our SKY.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.