Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compliments of a couple of folks at Solsticeforum:

From Jus2shy:

Well, I just got news, it seems like my brethren at Car and Driver (credit goes to heat_fan1 dug up some dirt from a german mag site, and they got pics and specs of the new miata.

Specs:

* 2.0-liter four
* 160 hp @ 6700 rpm
* 188 Nm @ 5000 rpm
* 6-speed manual
* 50-50 weight distribution
* Based on the same platform as RX-8
* 17" wheels on 205/45 R 17 tires

NC MX-5 Rear View

NC MX-5 Front View

NC MX-5 Front Wheel/Hood View

NC MX-5 Interior from rear View

NC MX-5 Rear View (green)

NC MX-5 Interior from rear View 2 (slightly pulled back)

NC MX-5 Front View 2

According to this information, it looks like the Solstice and Miata are going to pretty much be head to head.

and from Brentil

Here's the translated article thanks to the miata forums
http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000257;p=5#000200

02/21/2005 - it`s official: with the new MX-5 Mazda presents a classic Roadster with brawny optical characteristic. He gets an individual face, which is nearby the Ibuki, clear glass taillights(?), double exhaust like the RX-8 and muscular, wide wheel arches.

From outside the new roadster cognizes as a Miata - but he seems to be more athletic and more adult.
He's grown in all needs: length and width about four centimeters, height about one centimeter, wheelbase is 75 millimeters (front) and 55 millimeters (back) more.

Good thing for sportscar-purists: although better configuration and an 47% stiffer body his weight is only 10kg more than the NB.

Engine is an 2-liter 4-valve 4-cylinder with 160 PS (note: German PS are NOT your HP!) with a torque of 188 NM.
In Europe theres's a 1,8 liter engine with 126 PS also available.

Both engines are equipped with a manual 6-speed and are 123 millimeters more backwards then before. This results in a 50:50 balance; together with the complex drivetrain - independent suspension in the front, Multilenker(?) there will be optimal drivetrain dynamic.

Fun will also be behind the steering wheel: the interieur is high-value and some surfaces are piano-finished(?) for dignified luxury.

New is a adjustable (height) steering-wheel an a cockpit with 5 gauges (häh? Didn't we all have 5 round gauges?). For security of the stiffer platform (RX-8-based) there are head- and side airbags (in the backrest). In case of a rollover the car rolls over the bar behind the headrest.

In case of rain the cloth roof (?) can be closed with one hand. the softtop folds z-like and flushes with the trunk lid.

In the trunk there's no more place then before - 140 liters. For the winter Mazda offers a hardtop.

Also acoustics are great: "sound-tuning" offers sporty-meaty sound. A "throaty timbre" of 500 Hertz gives a "feeling of cultured cruising" in middle RPMs - as Mazda sais.

Above 5.000 RPM the sound swells sporty - just right for the read line in the rev meter.

Start of the third generation: autumn 2005.
Technical data of the new MX-5 2.0:
L/B/H - 3995/1720/1245 mm
wheelbase - 2330 mm
Track(?) (front/back) - 1490/1495 mm
Seats - 2
Engine MZR 2.0 DOHC 16V
Power* 118 kW/160 PS at 6700 RPM
Max. Torque* 188 Nm at 5.000 RPM
Bore x Stroke 87,5 x 83,1 mm
Transmission manual 6-Speed
Steering Gear Rod
Suspension f/b double transverse control arm/Multi-Link
Brakes f/b inside vented rotors
Tires f/b 205/45 R 17
Wheels f/b 7J x 17

·
Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps its just the fenders but looks like mazda meets audi. Doesnt look drastically different than the current Miata. I agree with Vita, its too bland.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ditto what you said. The new MX5 looks like someone told a high school shop class to customize an old 1st Generation Miata, and this is the result. It looks like the same basic shape as the 1st Generation, with weird fender blisters tacked on and a slightly revised front and rear ends.

The Miata, previously in the running for my $$ against the Solstice and Sky is now the dark horse. There is no comparing the stunning looks of the Solstice and Sky to the blandish/weird MX5. I don't know what Mazda were thinking.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have always liked the Miata and this one is no exception. However, it just doesn't hit the same button that the kappa cars do for me (the Solstice in particular).

The tail end looks very evolutionary. In fact, it looks so similar that onlookers might not realize a difference with a casual glance, unless they pick up on the dual exhausts.

The front end may take a little getting used to for me. Its a little different which is ok, and may grow on me. I'd also have to see it in person. That said, it still looke like a Miata to me. I was hoping to see a little moer RX-8 influence in the front.

It should make for a worthy competitor to the Kappa twins.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
swatthefly said:
I am SO already itching to sit at a stoplight next to one while im in my new sky! :cool:
Unfortunately they'll probably be sitting at the stoplight in their new NC's waiting for about 6 months for you to showup in your Sky since they'll probably get their NC's about that long before the Sky is available.

·
Registered
432 Posts
brentil said:
Unfortunately they'll probably be sitting at the stoplight in their new NC's waiting for about 6 months for you to showup in your Sky since they'll probably get their NC's about that long before the Sky is available.
thats hittin below the belt! :brentil:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
swatthefly said:
thats hittin below the belt! :brentil:
Unfortunately it's the truth. I wish I had access to getting a Sky now if I wanted, but we wont for a good while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that new Miata is quite plain. I too prefer the Sky and Solstice over the "MX5".

However, I think Mazda's design goal was to keep it simple to keep its current loyal customers happy. And they have a large loyal customer base...we all know that. I'm not sure how the 2nd gen Miata has been doing in terms of sales, but if the styling of the 3rd gen is any indication, there must be a lot of happy Miata owners out there who didn't want a roadster that is "too extravagant". I guess they went by the "why fix it if ain't broke" mentality. So they didn't stray too far from the current design.

This new 3rd gen actually reminds me more of the 1st gen Miata, just a modern and more refined version.

P.S. I'm new here. I'll be in the market for a new car come spring/summer 2006. But i'm torn between the SKY and the Solstice. I think i'm leaning more towards the Sky. I currently drive a '93 Pontiac Grand Am GT with the 2.3L HOQuad4 w/5-speed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Esmond said:
P.S. I'm new here. I'll be in the market for a new car come spring/summer 2006. But i'm torn between the SKY and the Solstice. I think i'm leaning more towards the Sky. I currently drive a '93 Pontiac Grand Am GT with the 2.3L HOQuad4 w/5-speed.
Welcome aboard, Esmond! I'm torn between the Sky and Solstice too. It was love at first sight with the Sol, then the Sky really captured my attention, and now I'm gravitating back toward the Sol - there's something subtle & beautiful about its gentle curves & proportions that I really like, sort of like Porsche's designs. I'll be needing a car this summer so that might force my hand in the Sol's favour regardless.

The new MX-5 is pretty cool too. I feel like I'm one of the few people who like the Sol/Sky the best but still find the new MX-5 to be attractive and not boring. It's on my list of potentials if it's available when I'm ready to buy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like it from some angles, like the side, rear, rear quarter, but that hood... ugh... The grill and headlights are pretty uninspiring, but the interior looks nice. I wonder how much trunk space it has? :p Notice the boot for the top... I think it will be a worthy competitor for the base Sky/Sol... It will be cool to see what the Mazdaspeed version is like. Maybe they'll redo that front end to allow more room for an intercooler and make it less freakin' dopey lookin in the process. LOL

·
Registered
110 Posts
That poster's right - the interior of the Miata is ticky-tacky, a bunch of small do-dads placed one beside the other with no particular design in
evidence. The body styling is ho-hum, same tired old shape, which never was sexy enough - too delicate - too much of a woman's car. I got the lowdown
on what happened at the unveilingof the car to the press. All the motor
journalists were waiting for this "all new" design and when they pulled the sheet the journalists all raised their hands ready to applaud and then....
nothing. They put their hands down and the Japanese Mazda spokesman was
taken aback and then started explaining that Mazda had tried to make sure they didn't put off their loyal customers. Now why does Mazda believe that those loyal cstomers are going to give up their car to pay for a car that looks just like it and isn't any faster? And how can the new car attract all those who had not been interested before? Mazda's strategy makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
411 Posts
kingarthur said:
That poster's right - the interior of the Miata is ticky-tacky, a bunch of small do-dads placed one beside the other with no particular design in
evidence. The body styling is ho-hum, same tired old shape, which never was sexy enough - too delicate - too much of a woman's car. I got the lowdown
on what happened at the unveilingof the car to the press. All the motor
journalists were waiting for this "all new" design and when they pulled the sheet the journalists all raised their hands ready to applaud and then....
taken aback and then started explaining that Mazda had tried to make sure they didn't put off their loyal customers. Now why does Mazda believe that those loyal cstomers are going to give up their car to pay for a car that looks just like it and isn't any faster? And how can the new car attract all those who had not been interested before? Mazda's strategy makes no sense at all.

HA HA HA, Yes!! that's hilarious,

"All the motor journalists were waiting for this "all new" design and when they pulled the sheet the journalists all raised their hands ready to applaud and then....
taken back and then started explaining...."

"And how can the new car attract all those who had not been interested before? Mazda's strategy makes no sense at all."

SO True, So True!! :banghead:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts