Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gramps here with yet another post.

Driving our newly purchased 2007 base the 800 mile trek home, I thought my head would explode at times from simple bumps in the road at highway speeds. Our plan is to "joy ride" the car around town and also tow it behind our motor home for sight-seeing. My wife and I find the stiff suspension for performance handing to be a very serious problem. I don't know the history of this vehicle, if the previous owner switched springs and/or shocks, or maybe it has the original unmodified suspension. I would like to soften the ride by a whole lot, changing springs and shocks if I have to.

I realize my desire is unusual, especially on this forum. Has anyone here ever done this, or read of another doing it? I really don't know where to start looking for soft-ride suspension replacements. I don't know the specs to compare.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Gramps here with yet another post.

Our plan is to "joy ride" the car around town and also tow it behind our motor home for sight-seeing.
With regard to towing, the owner's manual is quite clear, I think it's on page 230:

Towing
Towing Your Vehicle
Consult your retailer or a professional towing
service if you need to have your disabled vehicle
towed. See Roadside Assistance Program on
page 359.
Recreational Vehicle Towing
Notice: Dolly towing or dinghy towing your
vehicle may cause damage to the vehicle.
Always put your vehicle on a flatbed truck.
Your vehicle was neither designed nor intended to
be towed with any of its wheels on the ground.

If your vehicle must be towed, see “Towing Your
Vehicle” earlier in this section.
Towing a Trailer
Your vehicle is neither designed nor intended to
tow a trailer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With regard to towing, the owner's manual is quite clear, I think it's on page 230:

Recreational Vehicle Towing
Notice: Dolly towing or dinghy towing your
vehicle may cause damage to the vehicle.
Always put your vehicle on a flatbed truck.
Your vehicle was neither designed nor intended to
be towed with any of its wheels on the ground.
That is interesting because Blue Ox makes Sky-Specific towing hardware. CLICK HERE to see it.

I understood the automatic was not towable 4-wheels-down, but the manual transmission is. That is why we bought the manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
That is interesting because Blue Ox makes Sky-Specific towing hardware. CLICK HERE to see it.

I understood the automatic was not towable 4-wheels-down, but the manual transmission is. That is why we bought the manual transmission.
I don't care what you do with your Sky, but I thought I would make you aware of what GM's position is on the subject.

:dunno:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't care what you do with your Sky, but I thought I would make you aware of what GM's position is on the subject.

I appreciate the warning. I really do. I will have to look into this further. Maybe I will have to sell the car after I bring it back to perfection.

:willy: :willy: :willy:

In the mean time, I am still hoping to get the ride acceptable as not to chip one of my crowns. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
I looked at the BlueOx website and they show very detailed installation instructions for the Solstice, noting that it also fits the Sky. It appears that you have to cut two fairly large holes in the fascia/grill.

There is also a very prominent warning about checking the manufacturer's instructions for towing.

The damage I would worry about would be caused by the low ground clearance and of course the installation of the tow bar.

As for softening the ride, I am not aware of any components that are softer than the stock NA.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As for softening the ride, I am not aware of any components that are softer than the stock NA.
This of course is assuming that the suspension is stock. PAW offered adjustable sway bars for the car that firmed up the suspension depending on the settings chosen and there are other mods that could affect the ride harshness as well.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
There is also a very prominent warning about checking the manufacturer's instructions for towing.
That is BlueOx's CYA statement designed to limit their liability to the price of their kit (or less). You can be pretty sure that they are aware of exactly what GM's "instructions for towing" say.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hey first post here All. rjgramps, check your tire pressure! when I got my 2007 RL a month ago I liked the ride and handling until I freaked when I discovered it was on 20PSI tire pressure. I pumped it to 40 PSI and found it to be very harsh. Down to 32 and will probably lower some more. Find the Goldilocks spot... These low profile tires are sensitive to pressure.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Hey first post here All. rjgramps, check your tire pressure! when I got my 2007 RL a month ago I liked the ride and handling until I freaked when I discovered it was on 20PSI tire pressure. I pumped it to 40 PSI and found it to be very harsh. Down to 32 and will probably lower some more. Find the Goldilocks spot... These low profile tires are sensitive to pressure.
There should be a sticker inside the driver's door frame: GM recommends 29 psi for the original equipment size tires. These cars are very sensitive to the proper tire pressures, but you will never get a very soft ride. If you tires are over 32 psi or so the ride will be very choppy.

YMMV

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will double check my tire pressure. Thanks for that tip.

Out of curiosity, I shopped on-line (not direct from GM) for replacement shocks and springs, hoping to find softer "touring" versions. To my surprise, nobody offers any kind of aftermarket or OEM replacements with one exception.

Rock Auto offers 4 different shocks for a 2007 Sky Base, all are ACDelco.
CLICK HERE to see them. They are all "performance" rated, none for touring. I wonder what the differences are.

No springs are available from anyone.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
FE2 is stock for the NA, and FE3 is stock for the RL (turbo). The fronts and rears are different for each, so four different standard parts.

Tires are going to be the best option you have for softening the ride, and it isn't going to be by much. For all of the talk here about how soft the NA suspension is, it is likely stiffer than anything else you can find.

Do check tire pressures, that was good advice. I have had the best results at 31 PSI.

What tires are on the car, and how old are they?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A lot of folks installed lowering springs, there was two different versions (low & lower), and they definitely ride harder than stock. Also, adjustable coilovers were available, and they also ride firmer than OEM. If memory serves correct you should be able to get two to three fingers between the top of the tire and the bottom of fenders.

Then again, the Kappa wasn't designed to be a cruiser and it's hard to know if what you think of as a stiff ride that others may think that this was the way it was designed to ride. If you know anyone else that has a Kappa ask them to take a ride in your car and tell you what they think of the ride.

BTW, you may want to use a different term than fluff (or fluffer)...if you get my drift.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
No point trying to guess what is in your car. Get it up on a hoist where someone knows these cars and see if they can diagnose whether there is after market stuff in there resulting in the harsh ride. It might be as simple as refitting stock shocks and springs. The model you have had the softest suspension package, so unless you are used to driving only cars with especially soft suspension, I really wonder if some previous owner has been at the car, 'tuning' it...

If there is another NA car for sale in your area, it would also be an idea to go and test drive it to see if it feels the same to you. Maybe ask if there is another member of this or the Solstice forum that lives near enough to you to offer you the opportunity for a test drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
Bill is correct about needing to get a look under the car, but there is a good chance that you can tell what is there yourself. The chart in the SolsticeForum thread includes tag colors for the different springs, and there is a good chance that you will be able to tell what you have from those. You can also measure the stabilizer bars to see if they were changed. If they were, the springs probably were also.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
Gramps. A location would help. There are a lot of us on the site that have cars, that you could test drive. I live in SoCal and have a stock 2007 NA, you would be more than welcome to take it for a test drive if you are nearby.

It really is hard to tell what has been done to the car, and hard for all of us to help you. I think all have given you good advice. Checking the air pressure is the first thing I would do. Also look at how old the tires are and who made them.

Good luck to you figuring it out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts