Saturn Sky Forum banner

Will you be interested in 2007 Solstice/Sky at the Dragon next year (August 10-12)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

With the Announcement of the Nationals being in Nashville next year, many people will go to the Dragon for some side fun. We still intend to hold the 2007 Solstice/Sky at the Dragon event in early August. This will be a weekend event so you can enjoy the area longer and some of the other roads in the area rather than just a few hours or a day if you just come to the National event.

Negotiations are underway to have our event based out of Fontana Village.

http://www.fontanavillage.com

It's a resort very close to the Dragon and along Hellbender 28. They have a wide variety of accomodations ranging from modern lodge rooms to multi-room cabins to basic rustic cabins.

Accommodations

Onsite are two restaurants, a general store, an outfitter's shop an indoor and an outdoor pool.

We'll plan other events but want to setup lodging first and want to find out how many want to join us.

Please consult the options in the poll above.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am close enough to drive each day so wouldn't need lodging. Can't wait to see all those Skys/Sols in one place :)

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I would love to make the run again but I am unsure what the Army has in store for me that far out.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would like to come but August is not good for me. Make it July and I'm in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Awesome, we'll be glad to have you!:cool:
Am checking out the video from 2006 now. Love the music, the dragon on the windscreen....I feel like I'm THERE. How did you keep from being assaulted by crotch rockets - did you go during the week? How did you mount camera - I have one but it's a JVC hard drive so may not take vibration if hard mounted. We could get TWO views :)

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am checking out the video from 2006 now. Love the music, the dragon on the windscreen....I feel like I'm THERE. How did you keep from being assaulted by crotch rockets - did you go during the week? How did you mount camera - I have one but it's a JVC hard drive so may not take vibration if hard mounted. We could get TWO views :)
Thanks! glad you liked it! You saw the one bike (not sportbike) move up through our group on the south run. We just got lucky. that was a Saturday. Went back with a smaller group Sunday. We had a pair of sportys move up through us that day.

I used a StickyPod suction mounted on my windshield. (the larger 4 cup, 2 knuckles and 3 inch shaft) one of the supplied rubber washers in the package helps lower vibration.

http://www.StickyPod.com

Two views sounds interesting! :thumbs:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks! glad you liked it! You saw the one bike (not sportbike) move up through our group on the south run. We just got lucky. that was a Saturday. Went back with a smaller group Sunday. We had a pair of sportys move up through us that day.

I used a StickyPod suction mounted on my windshield. (the larger 4 cup, 2 knuckles and 3 inch shaft) one of the supplied rubber washers in the package helps lower vibration.

http://www.StickyPod.com

Two views sounds interesting! :thumbs:
Yeah, I noticed later in the video that you had bikes move through the line, but that's actually fairly well behaved from what I've seen on my own bike. I guess they're just more aggressive on bike vs. bike.

I will be getting one of those StickyPods. Looks like a perfect solution for my camera. Definitely worth a try. We could do one view facing forward and one facing back. Cool. Now, if Saturn would just make my car, we'll be all set to go :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Too Far

If you can swing the TAIL out to the left coast I would be interested in going, otherwise it is a bit too far. :D

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
I'd love to go, but I will likely have a conference to attend that weekend and won't know until June or so. The chances of a conflict are about 95% since it's pretty much the same time every year. My only hope is to get booted off the board by then, but that's unlikely since they just tried to make me treasurer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, but to be helpful for anyone that can't make it in August.

Next year will be the fourth year for the annual Saturn owner's meet at the Tail of the Dragon. I have been organizing it since 2004 and would love to have some Skys make an appearence next year. We have not started working out any of the details yet but it will most likely be in early to mid July (for those of us who are sales consultants and can't take time at the end of the month). We'd work that out between any interested parties to see what the best weekend would be.

Keep in mind this will not be a Sky-only event, it is open to ALL Saturn owners. We have had every type of car come out for it, and usually get an ok turnout for it, considering we have no official sponsors for it and it's usually just me planning it. I have a standing arrangement with a hotel in Knoxville, which allows us to do a large loop down the Tail of the Dragon, and across the Cherohala Skyway, which is another wonderful road just a few miles south of the Tail.

If anyone would like more info, I can start a seperate thread or you can PM me.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Thanks for the invite SolsticeWolf, but I can't make this one either, basically because of the same reason I posted for the National event, to far away--:banghead:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, but to be helpful for anyone that can't make it in August.

Next year will be the fourth year for the annual Saturn owner's meet at the Tail of the Dragon. I have been organizing it since 2004 and would love to have some Skys make an appearence next year. We have not started working out any of the details yet but it will most likely be in early to mid July (for those of us who are sales consultants and can't take time at the end of the month). We'd work that out between any interested parties to see what the best weekend would be.

Keep in mind this will not be a Sky-only event, it is open to ALL Saturn owners. We have had every type of car come out for it, and usually get an ok turnout for it, considering we have no official sponsors for it and it's usually just me planning it. I have a standing arrangement with a hotel in Knoxville, which allows us to do a large loop down the Tail of the Dragon, and across the Cherohala Skyway, which is another wonderful road just a few miles south of the Tail.

If anyone would like more info, I can start a seperate thread or you can PM me.
I'm interested in the details. Don't know yet whether I can make it (depends on daughter's college arrangements, timing of vacation, etc.), but keep me posted on the arrangements. Wouldn't need hotel - we're just about an hour or so away.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Another road to drive

Anyone coming in on I-81 from the north may want to swing through Bristol, and Hit Highway 421 between Bristol Tennessee and Mountian City Tennessee, I believe it is as nice as the Tail and it is definately less crowded...

·
Registered
108 Posts
At this point planning on it...August is a long time from now but we at least are planning it!

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At this point planning on it...August is a long time from now but we at least are planning it!
Planning on it is good, Yedra. We'll be glad to have you.

Looks like a good showing, Skys! :thumbs:

10 of you want to get together with us next August.

At my poll at SolsticeForum, we have 15 Sols ready to go! :yesnod:

Tail of the Dragon 2007 Poll : SolsticeForum

We got the makings of a party, folks!

:cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts