Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
ParakeetJohn,

What exhaust do you have? I put a solo performance high flow cat and catback on mine when it was NA and it really livened up the sound.
I have the RL Stock exhaust I believed
... dual exhaust pipes, black rectangles.

I like the look of those black tips.

Any preferences on the deepest growl I can get... performance benefit wouldn't hurt.

Thank's.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That would be it! You may be able to get some performance gains (maybe 10 hp) since you have the redline out of a higher flowing exhaust.

i noticed this post just last night on the Solstice forums:
"I have a good condition magnaflow 3" exhaust system for sale off of a 2007 GXP (2.0T). I sold the car and no longer need it. Car came with it equipped at 27k miles and I took it off after only 5k'ish miles when I installed a solo cat back (too loud for me). Based on what the guy said who sold me the car, I doubt the system has more then 20k miles on it (not that that matters). Asking $400 OBO local pickups only located just NW of Atlanta off of I75." and its being bumped for sale

From what i have gathered on here solo performance seems to have louder exhaust system than the magnaflow and both are louder than stock. also if you really want that growl id recommend a high flow cat too. It made a noticeable difference for mine. Also the guys over at solo are really good and if you gave them a call im sure they could assist you in finding exactly what youre looking for.

·
Registered
178 Posts
... also if you really want that growl id recommend a high flow cat too. It made a noticeable difference for mine. Also the guys over at solo are really good and if you gave them a call im sure they could assist you in finding exactly what youre looking for.
Humm... sounds perfect. Any issues passing smog with the setup?

I'm in the San Diego Diego... I wonder who has experience working on our cars out here.... exhaust and such.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Humm... sounds perfect. Any issues passing smog with the setup?

I'm in the San Diego Diego... I wonder who has experience working on our cars out here.... exhaust and such.
So here is the deal.

BY LAW in CA, you cannot change your stock cat unless it is damaged and non-functional. Thus if yours is working no reputable shop will touch that stock cat.

If it is non-functional...say somehow a screwdriver punctured the cat in some way...you can only replace it with a NEW CARB approved cat. For our cars, the only CARB approved cat is the OEM cat. This means that even if your cat is damaged you must replace it with a new OEM cat...you can't even replace it with a used OEM cat off a damaged car.

Now, if you replace your cat anyway with something like the Solo high flow cat, there is a chance that when you go to smog the car the smog tech will have no idea if your cat is OEM or not. The high flow cats will pass a sniffer test but since they do not have CARB certification they technically are not legal and would fail the visual part of the inspection IF noticed.

As for the exhaust from the cat back, that's still legal but I would definitely go with someone who is a big name brand exhaust company like MagnaFlow or Borlla. The reason I mention this is as of January 1st of this year, if you receive a ticket for a modified exhaust, you can no longer just fix it then pay the $25 fee for a fixed infraction. Now you have to fix the exhaust AND pay the full fine of the ticket which I'm hearing (and still need to get verification because it seems excessive) can be up to $1,000. I know my MagnaFlow exhaust meets the state requirement of 95 db under their testing standards and hence why I run it. If I get cited, I can take it to a ref station and have it certified if need be.

For installing the exhaust, it is pretty easy. Jack up the car, pull the plug on the O2 sensor, pull off the four hangers that hold on the exhaust, and then undo the two bolts that attach the exhaust up front. Putting on a MagnaFlow is a bit more difficult since you have to assemble the pieces of the pipe and clamp them together as you install it. Still, not hard.

·
Registered
178 Posts
For installing the exhaust, it is pretty easy. Jack up the car, pull the plug on the O2 sensor, pull off the four hangers that hold on the exhaust, and then undo the two bolts that attach the exhaust up front. Putting on a MagnaFlow is a bit more difficult since you have to assemble the pieces of the pipe and clamp them together as you install it. Still, not hard.
Thank's for this. I soooo need to get the right jack(s) and stands.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update! Got the go ahead from Dave at PAW to do my WOT runs. All I have to say is wow. I could tell it was powerful before when I was only going ~1/2 throttle, but at WOT this thing screams. And the open dump wastegate at full boost sounds awesome.

I’m hitting about 8.5 psi through my pulls and my afr looks good now too. I loved this car before but now that it throws you back into the seat it’s even better.

Engine temps have been good as well. DIC reading ~190 while running and sometimes will spike 10° or so while sitting or for a few seconds after a run.

Overall I’m happy with everything. I’ve been constantly checking fittings, couplings and fasteners under the hood while I let oil run thru the turbo before shutting her down but all has been good. Will torque the manifold to turbo bolts again this weekend, but other than that there’s not much else to do with the install. Ill have to post some video clips on YouTube and link them here so y’all can hear it.

I’ll keep updating about the car here periodically.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ordered a catch can from PAW. When checking fittings and couplings etc under the hood I noticed some oil has been leaking from my BOV onto my radiator shroud. Not a lot but enough that I’d rather have it drain into a catch can than coat my intake piping maf and ic, my stock intake was fairly gunked up with the same oily substance as my bov is leaking so I’m attributing the oil to my pcv system. I’ll see if the catch can cleans this up

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just figured id post a friendly update.. Still love hearing the turbo and bov after the 5000th time. Had a few small issues along the way, blew a boot and my wastegate nut backed off once, but other than that the cars been good to me. Gave it an oil change after the first 2000 or so miles just to be sure everything got properly lubricated and to check for possible metal shavings in the oil filter but nothing so all went well with the oil return line i was so worried about drilling.. whew. Also replaced the factory metal heat shield with a DEI turbo blanket, seems yo retain the heat much better under the engine bay from the stock turbo shield. also added more heat wrap around the turbo since the blanket came with another 50ft roll!

Still have lots to do with the car.. plan on upping the boost sometime later this year so i need to upgrade my fuel pump, injectors and probably gonna grab a spare LE5 head off of copart and build it in my apartment and take my time with it and just swap my heads out with the rest and turn up the boost. Also not a fan of how quiet the car became after the turbo. I have high flow cats in the downpipe and before my full stainless steel catback from solo perfomance but my car is still quiet again.. arg. It sounded perfect NA with that high flow cat and catback. Thats the only thing i miss from being NA, but now i have turbo sounds so its a trade off. Will probably also just go ahead and try to get a norms center outlet rear diffuser and have and exhaust shop straight pipe me with a nice fat exhaust coming out of the center outlet. ha.

Also need to get my engine bay looking better. Ordered some powdercoated coolant and brake reservoir covers from PAW. Was hoping to find some billet aluminum caps for those reservoirs as that would really look good. Really need to get my valve cover powdercoated, too. Maybe ill just do that when i build the spare head. We will see, but there are plans!!

Anyways heres some new pics

Attachments

41 - 49 of 49 Posts