Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy took me backstage today at the GM Sales Conference for a private, closeup look at the Camaro concept car.

Let me tell you....pictures do not do this thing justice...I was blown away. It's just so......sinister. If they can keep most of what I saw, and GM stays in business, my C6 will have another Chevy as a stablemate.

Great things are comin'......

·
Registered
144 Posts
A buddy took me backstage today at the GM Sales Conference for a private, closeup look at the Camaro concept car.

Let me tell you....pictures do not do this thing justice...I was blown away. It's just so......sinister. If they can keep most of what I saw, and GM stays in business, my C6 will have another Chevy as a stablemate.

Great things are comin'......
And if they don't, they will merge with FORD!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a 2002 Taurus, and I love it. It handles like nobody's business..my husband steered it at 85mph out of a massive five car accident, it is quiet, it accelerates well, It is black, the paint job is nice, have the DOHC 24 valve engine, the leather interior is great, it has never given me a lick of trouble. but it just ain't a roadster. So, I don't know that a merger will be a bad thing. Anyone with more car savvy have an opinion?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't think you'll see it happen either. But it's interesting that they are even talking.
I like Ford's reputation as an "American" company I just never really liked their product portfolio save the mustang. I highly doubt the merger would happen either just based on the more recent discussions of Ford's gloom.
I think GM has just gone through the cloud and are almost on the other side of it....don't know how quick they want to jump into bed with another issue.

I do however really like the new Camaro concept. I had a chance to Rick Wagoner driving it at the dream cruise and it is very aggressive looking. I know they are building it I just hope it stays true to form

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have not seen the Camero in person but from pics it does not work for me. I appears it is trying to be too many things for too many people (like it was put together with too many past Cameros)

On the meger/parnership... You have to think that Ford would basically cease to exsist. GM is so much larger (or at least it used to be)

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all the talks werent that big. mearely a small discussion, just like the other bajillion talks that go on between upper managements. everyone is just getting all worked up because both companies are almost in the crapper.

these to companies would not be any better together. that would just mean twice as much job cuts, twice as much badge engineering, and twice as much over paid unappreciative workforce.

both GM and FORD are doing what is neccassary for them to continue. They both grew too fast when all was well, and thought there would be no end in sight. They paid the workers more than neccessary because the figured they could afford it....and now all foreign competition pays a fair wage and is beating them...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think it is a feeling out process

Many Japanese and Euro car makers are looking now at Ford and GM for what they are going to close down than to merge. If they can get a fairly updated factory on the Cheap in the U.S. they will. I think the same would hold true for GM or Ford. If GM is operating a plant built in the 40s in the same area as a Ford plant built in the 70s wouldn't make sense for GM to up grade in that area. Why was eveyone after DaeWoo in bankrupcy, New state of the art manufacturing plants. Cheaper than building from the ground up. Just my opinon. I would like to see the final product before making a decision on new Camaro, does anyone no if anything was said about a new Firebird on same platform? If Camaro is going to compete with Mustang again they better have a cheap hot V-6 for volume sales to make business case work. Also the Shelby Mustang is putting out 500hp, better shoot for 600 in 2008 in extreme limited production for bragging rights.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Many Japanese and Euro car makers are looking now at Ford and GM for what they are going to close down than to merge. If they can get a fairly updated factory on the Cheap in the U.S. they will. I think the same would hold true for GM or Ford. If GM is operating a plant built in the 40s in the same area as a Ford plant built in the 70s wouldn't make sense for GM to up grade in that area. Why was eveyone after DaeWoo in bankrupcy, New state of the art manufacturing plants. Cheaper than building from the ground up. Just my opinon. I would like to see the final product before making a decision on new Camaro, does anyone no if anything was said about a new Firebird on same platform? If Camaro is going to compete with Mustang again they better have a cheap hot V-6 for volume sales to make business case work. Also the Shelby Mustang is putting out 500hp, better shoot for 600 in 2008 in extreme limited production for bragging rights.
GM has a little project called BLUEDEVIL....just wait:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
First of all the talks werent that big. mearely a small discussion, just like the other bajillion talks that go on between upper managements. everyone is just getting all worked up because both companies are almost in the crapper.

these to companies would not be any better together. that would just mean twice as much job cuts, twice as much badge engineering, and twice as much over paid unappreciative workforce.

both GM and FORD are doing what is neccassary for them to continue. They both grew too fast when all was well, and thought there would be no end in sight. They paid the workers more than neccessary because the figured they could afford it....and now all foreign competition pays a fair wage and is beating them...
:agree: :agree: :agree: Both companies need to downsize (never easy... no matter how big the company is) and get wages under control. Maybe even a restructuring of their divisions offerings would help. Trying to be all things to all people in each division really stretches the concept. :D

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
It does look pretty cool from the images I have seen. I just wonder if it will be so mass produced it will be like the Mustangs. Every time you turn a corner there goes another one. :willy:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
. Also the Shelby Mustang is putting out 500hp, better shoot for 600 in 2008 in extreme limited production for bragging rights.

The GT500 Mustang weighs almost 4000 lbs. and can't even beat a base C6 despite a huge HP advantage. The car is a big disappointment performance wise. A LS2 or LS7 powered Camaro would be in no danger from Ford's current pig. However, Ford has said the pony will be redesigned for 2008...the next couple of year should be very interesting.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The GT500 Mustang weighs almost 4000 lbs. and can't even beat a base C6 despite a huge HP advantage. The car is a big disappointment performance wise. A LS2 or LS7 powered Camaro would be in no danger from Ford's current pig. However, Ford has said the pony will be redesigned for 2008...the next couple of year should be very interesting.
"It will be built and will have 650 HP. It will be shown at the Detroit Auto Show this Jan. It looks like a 2008 model"

BLUEDEVIL.......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"It will be built and will have 650 HP. It will be shown at the Detroit Auto Show this Jan. It looks like a 2008 model"

BLUEDEVIL.......
The Bluedevil name was dumped a long time ago. The current moniker for the car is "Stingray" Far more appropriate, but that may change as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Bluedevil name was dumped a long time ago. The current moniker for the car is "Stingray" Far more appropriate, but that may change as well.
I didn't know that...I spoke with my friend at Les Stanford in MI and he still thought it was coded Blue Devil. He showed me some more pics later and it looks awesome. The performance could only dangerously get better:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts