Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
All indications are that MotorTrend basically made this fictional car up.

No, there are not V6 kappas running around GM. No, there is not a chevy version of the Kappa in 2008.

sorry.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
From the little reading I have done, it would seem GM intends/hopes to build other cars around the Kappa architecture. I of course DON'T have connections at GM to confirm that anything is being built or tested though.:nonod:

Interesting sketch but I'm not seeing much. Take a look at the first Sky sketch and it wouldn't have interested me either.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I made this up after I saw the Sky for the first time...
I was just joking put i Posted it on a couple websites and it got some laughs......

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't think the plant has any additional capacity so I don't know why they would try to introduce another model on that platform.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I know it's just a rumor and the likelyness of happening is very slim, but damn that concept drawing is one hot Kappa. :drool:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Mallard said:
I don't think the plant has any additional capacity so I don't know why they would try to introduce another model on that platform.
Early reports on the kappa platform and Wilmington as the assembly plant estimated that GM could build upwards of about 130,000 kappa units at the plant. This was somewhat early information, and maybe it also takes into account running a second line, but it does indicate at least that GM felt they would have more available capacity.

As far as that Sting Ray goes, file it into the "Forgettaboutit" category.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Early reports on the kappa platform and Wilmington as the assembly plant estimated that GM could build upwards of about 130,000 kappa units at the plant. This was somewhat early information, and maybe it also takes into account running a second line, but it does indicate at least that GM felt they would have more available capacity.

Does the hydoforming limit what they could produce?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Fformula88 said:

they would have to add more hydroforming equipment for the frames, right now with what they have they said they were limited to about 30K a year because of the time it takes to do the Hydroforming.

·
Registered
727 Posts
nighttripper said:
Does the hydoforming limit what they could produce?
The hydroforming limits the number of body panels that can be produced. The process of hyrdroforming the body, as opposed to stamping the steel like a regular production car, is far more time consuming. However, it also allows the more complex shapes in the steel that may not be possible to reporduce using stamped steel (without incredible costs anyway). So it does limit production, probably more so with the Solstice's 20K units a year than the Sky's predicted 10K.

In theory, they could increase production by increasing the number of body dies they had to produce more body panels. However, they would need almost a guarantee production would stay over their current maximum limits to make it economically feasable to invest in more tooling.

These cars are also assembled largely by hand and not robot like a typical mass production car, which could also limit available capacity. To build more, they may need more workers, and possibly open a second line. Again, they would need to be sure they would have long term demand for more than their current production maximums to make it economically worthwhile to add shifts and lines. (They are running 3 shifts now!).

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
GM developed hydroforming for the C5 Corvettes. My 2001 Silverado HD2500 has a hydroformed frame. They make right at 40K Vettes a year and are pushing 200K trucks a year (when you add the SUVs -Suburbans, Tahoes, vans, etc. with hydroformed frames you are probably close to half a million) . The only limit to the number of Kappas they make is GM's desire to keep it a niche and demand vehicle. If they made enough that everyone could get one, the demand, desire, and sales would drop. They want them on the road, not on the lot.

·
Registered
17,635 Posts
Whatever u may think about rumor ...fiction or non-fiction...as Brentil has stated, that is an unbelievable looking car. I would definitely trade in my SKY for that MACHINE....definitely would go for the BIG BROTHER.

That artist/designer should be working for GM...that along with the new CAMERO, the doors to the Chevy showrooms would have to be widened.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I will be impressed if Chevy can get the damn Camaro out. I originally was going for that in 05 until they said 06......07.......08.......09. Then I said the sky is it for now (a small step above a settle).

Will be keeping my Sky and adding a 2010 Camaro SS! One for Saturday and one for Sunday! :thumbs: :cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
From what I have been told there will be no Kappa based V6 Vette.
Look out for a 600HP Superchaged LS3 Vette known as the Blue Devil to come out in the next year or two.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I can not imagine how GM can develop a new platform and make it profitable at 40K units a year!! Answering the question about hydroforming more whatevers, if GM wants to produce more hydroformed "things", they only need to buy more equipment to do it. Production capacity? As GM realigns production the Wilmington plant could put on another line as an existing line may go idle from a product change. I find it hard to believe that Wilmington only has the space to give birth to 40K units of anything a year. V6's? Who would have imagined a Chevy small block placed sideways in a front wheel drive car!! If Mallett, and others, can stuff six and seven liter small block V8's in Sols and Skys, I am sure that GM could put just about anything they produce in a Kappa chassis if they wanted. Why not stretch the chassis and build a small four door "coupe" (ala M-B), and have a Kappa halo car at Buick, another neat car at Saturn, a REAL 3-Series competitor from Cadillac, or whatever they want. If GM USA can come up with the new Camaro, and Holden can pop out GTO's, and other new future stuff, why not? HEY, how about Holden playing with a Kappa chassis and re-introducing an El Camino style "ute". The Aussies are car maniacs. They could have a blast with the Kappa platform!!!!!!:thumbs: :eek:

·
Registered
17,635 Posts
One of the members in the past said something like...Corvette will never make a 6 cylinder engine...Corvette is defined as a performance sports car and to reduce it would jeopardize it's IMAGE...they r not and will not jeopardize the Corvette. You have to go along with that rationale.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
GM developed hydroforming for the C5 Corvettes. My 2001 Silverado HD2500 has a hydroformed frame. They make right at 40K Vettes a year and are pushing 200K trucks a year (when you add the SUVs -Suburbans, Tahoes, vans, etc. with hydroformed frames you are probably close to half a million) . The only limit to the number of Kappas they make is GM's desire to keep it a niche and demand vehicle. If they made enough that everyone could get one, the demand, desire, and sales would drop. They want them on the road, not on the lot.
No, I think you might be misunderstanding. Ff88 is referring to large scale "sheet hydroforming". The investment for the dies is a fraction of traditional dies, but the tradeoff is cycle-time. In a world where hoods are stamped out in seconds, a process that takes 4 minutes to make a hood means production constraints.

Sheet hydroforming is used to make the decklid, hood, doors, rear quarterpanels...

Very good article on sheet hydroforming 18 months ago in the SAE publication. Talked all about the Solstice/SKY and the reason they did it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts