Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased Sky and uncertain of factual evidence to go with Limited Edition given its color. It does have Limited Edition logo on back bumper so my question, can vin number help to clarify it being a Limited Edition? What attributes does Limited Edition have over a Red Line? Does a Sky owner have data for 2008 vin numbers for me to read and understand? Five and sixth position L-R for 2009 do not match with my 2008 vin numbers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I’m aware of a 2008 Carbon Flash “Limited Edition” that approx. 550 were built. Someone more knowledgeable than I would have to confirm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase, especially the color.
think the “limited edition” on the back is nothing but a sticker…..
might look good on a 90’s Lincoln, but certainly out of place on a Sky:)

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Purchased Sky and uncertain of factual evidence to go with Limited Edition given its color. It does have Limited Edition logo on back bumper so my question, can vin number help to clarify it being a Limited Edition? What attributes does Limited Edition have over a Red Line? Does a Sky owner have data for 2008 vin numbers for me to read and understand? Five and sixth position L-R for 2009 do not match with my 2008 vin numbers. View attachment 116990
"Limited Edition" is not an official Sky designation. That emblem was added by a previous owner.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yes, that's just a sticker that someone added.

While your car is not an official "limited edition" (the only official 2008 special edition was the 550 black Carbon Flash ones), the Bluestone color was only available in 2007 and 2008 (and was ended early during the 2008 model year). This would make 2008 Bluestone Redlines less common than some of the other colors.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as other stated. It's not a "limited edition" car so your VIN won't show it as such. There were 3 Special Editions colors made. 2008 Carbon Flash (550 total), 2009 Ruby Red (500 Total) and 2009 Hydro Blue (89 total). In 2008 the SE cars all had a center racing stripe added as well as a special two tone interior that was light titanium and black. Additionally all Carbon Flash SEs received the black out headlights from the Redline on all cars regardless if was a Redline or a NA Base.

In 2009 the SE cars also had a vinyl racing stripe as well as color matched interior stitching (red on ruby red and blue on hydro blue). Additionally the 2009's received alternate 10 spoke wheels no SE's were available with a spoiler option either.

As @mbeardsley said, yours is a 2008 Bluestone Redline, only a production color for 2 years (2007-2008). The numbers I have for 2008 Bluestone is; 1006 total units, 631 of them being Redlines. I see you have the tan interior, but I don't see if it's manual or auto. Your car is still fairly rare though being 1 of 377 2008 Bluestone Redlines with tan interior.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Purchased Sky and uncertain of factual evidence to go with Limited Edition given its color. It does have Limited Edition logo on back bumper so my question, can vin number help to clarify it being a Limited Edition? What attributes does Limited Edition have over a Red Line? Does a Sky owner have data for 2008 vin numbers for me to read and understand? Five and sixth position L-R for 2009 do not match with my 2008 vin numbers.
Regarding the VIN, for 2009 GM added VIN codes for the Special Edition trim packages, with the 5th digit representing the combination of color, transmission, and engine. ased on the VIN code descriptions the 6th digit should be the same from 2008 to 2009, but they still could have changed something.

It may not officially be a "Limited Edition", but it is a pretty rare version of a pretty special car, so enjoy it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as other stated. It's not a "limited edition" car so your VIN won't show it as such. There were 3 Special Editions colors made. 2008 Carbon Flash (550 total), 2009 Ruby Red (500 Total) and 2009 Hydro Blue (89 total). In 2008 the SE cars all had a center racing stripe added as well as a special two tone interior that was light titanium and black. Additionally all Carbon Flash SEs received the black out headlights from the Redline on all cars regardless if was a Redline or a NA Base.
View attachment 117001 View attachment 117002
In 2009 the SE cars also had a vinyl racing stripe as well as color matched interior stitching (red on ruby red and blue on hydro blue). Additionally the 2009's received alternate 10 spoke wheels no SE's were available with a spoiler option either.
View attachment 117003 View attachment 117004

As @mbeardsley said, yours is a 2008 Bluestone Redline, only a production color for 2 years (2007-2008). The numbers I have for 2008 Bluestone is; 1006 total units, 631 of them being Redlines. I see you have the tan interior, but I don't see if it's manual or auto. Your car is still fairly rare though being 1 of 377 2008 Bluestone Redlines with tan interior.
The interior of Sky I purchased is different in detail to other 2008 Red Lines which made me think there could be differences in Carbon Flash Edition to Limited Editions being two separate categories for that year. Also under hood, the air filter setup is either modified or special ordered. From what research I have made, one could special order options. I’m still learning and information helps me to decide what to leave alone and maintain.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
The interior of Sky I purchased is different in detail to other 2008 Red Lines which made me think there could be differences in Carbon Flash Edition to Limited Editions being two separate categories for that year. Also under hood, the air filter setup is either modified or special ordered. From what research I have made, one could special order options. I’m still learning and information helps me to decide what to leave alone and maintain.
I cannot see enough detail of the intake, but it could be either GM or aftermarket. There should be a brand name on it somewhere, and most of the GM components had "GMPP" labels.

Something that may help is to look at the RPO code list on the label that is attached to the inside of the glovebox door. RPO codes will identify nearly everything that was fitted to the car during assembly.

The intake was not an RPO option, as far as i know, and would have been dealer or owner installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding the VIN, for 2009 GM added VIN codes for the Special Edition trim packages, with the 5th digit representing the combination of color, transmission, and engine. ased on the VIN code descriptions the 6th digit should be the same from 2008 to 2009, but they still could have changed something.

It may not officially be a "Limited Edition", but it is a pretty rare version of a pretty special car, so enjoy it.
I fell in love with this car when it came out new. The style and color was what I wanted. The other additions are icing on the cake. I will treat this Sky as I did of my MR2 i had for 17 years but alas a blown head gasket, older age and mid engine, I decided to let it go and go after my first love, the Sky.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The interior of Sky I purchased is different in detail to other 2008 Red Lines which made me think there could be differences in Carbon Flash Edition to Limited Editions being two separate categories for that year. Also under hood, the air filter setup is either modified or special ordered. From what research I have made, one could special order options. I’m still learning and information helps me to decide what to leave alone and maintain. View attachment 117005 View attachment 117006
That's the tan interior/top option with an aftermarket steering wheel cover stitched on. Approximately 2,100 Skys got the tan interior/top option in 2008. It looks like we actually have the same car, 2008, bluestone, tan interior, spoiler, and auto. The intake is the GMPP (GM Performance Parts) Cold air intake. It was a dealer option, I also have one on mine as well. You also have what looks to be the Magnaflow exhaust or possibly the GMPP exhaust a pic of the muffler would answer if it was aftermarket or a dealer option. Either way it's nice car, how many miles? BTW, I just checked my book now that I see you're an auto, and we're both 1 of 174 2008 Bluestone Redline autos with tan interior options. So a fairly rare car indeed.

I've since replaced my top with a black one because I preferred it to tan and added a vinyl racing stripe.

Here’s the GMPP CAI on mine. Yours just doesn’t have the stickers on the filter cover.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I cannot see enough detail of the intake, but it could be either GM or aftermarket. There should be a brand name on it somewhere, and most of the GM components had "GMPP" labels.

Something that may help is to look at the RPO code list on the label that is attached to the inside of the glovebox door. RPO codes will identify nearly everything that was fitted to the car during assembly.

The intake was not an RPO option, as far as i know, and would have been dealer or owner installed.
I’m going off the RPO listing from seller’s posting with photo. I had car shipped across country and haven’t seen it up close to verify the RPOs. Still visiting but curiosity to know as much as I can gets me prepared for next plan with adjustments to car. The NC7 and NU1 RPOs are only thing relevant but not specific in detail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the tan interior/top option with an aftermarket steering wheel cover stitched on. Approximately 2,100 Skys got the tan interior/top option in 2008. It looks like we actually have the same car, 2008, bluestone, tan interior, spoiler, and auto. The intake is the GMPP (GM Performance Parts) Cold air intake. It was a dealer option, I also have one on mine as well. You also have what looks to be the Magnaflow exhaust or possibly the GMPP exhaust a pic of the muffler would answer if it was aftermarket or a dealer option. Either way it's nice car, how many miles? BTW, I just checked my book now that I see you're an auto, and we're both 1 of 174 2008 Bluestone Redline autos with tan interior options. So a fairly rare car indeed.

View attachment 117007

I've since replaced my top with a black one because I preferred it to tan and added a vinyl racing stripe.
View attachment 117010
Here’s the GMPP CAI on mine. Yours just doesn’t have the stickers on the filter cover.
View attachment 117011
View attachment 117012
Sky has 68,000 + miles and lived in Arizona. It now resides in Indiana. Thanks for the pictures. I wasn’t sure of modifications by owners previous and now its best to keep as it is. Now I feel like I hit the jackpot finding this car. I’m still visiting across country while car awaits. Trip home may be a straight fast ride across country to pamper this new toy.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
I’m going off the RPO listing from seller’s posting with photo. I had car shipped across country and haven’t seen it up close to verify the RPOs. Still visiting but curiosity to know as much as I can gets me prepared for next plan with adjustments to car. The NC7 and NU1 RPOs are only thing relevant but not specific in detail.
My RPO list has some discrepancies with that one:
  • I do not see an NU1
  • California emissions is YF5, but no "Level 2" is listed
  • The other RPO that requires NC7 is NE1: emissions override for CT, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, and WA
It would be interesting to know where it was originally sold.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

View attachment 117007

View attachment 117010
View attachment 117011
View attachment 117012
With the dealer installed cold air intake, was this to increase HP, improve engine response or both?

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
With the dealer installed cold air intake, was this to increase HP, improve engine response or both?
None of the above. The stock intake is actually quite good. That intake may increase noise, but is basically an appearance option.

Reactions: steveorama

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Neither actually. The CAI doesn't improve anything, as the stock airbox is actually very efficient. It may make a somewhat different sound, but that's about it.
It's possible that the exhaust changes could be a slight improvement, but only if the car has been tuned for it.

Reactions: steveorama

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My RPO list has some discrepancies with that one:
  • I do not see an NU1
  • California emissions is YF5, but no "Level 2" is listed
  • The other RPO that requires NC7 is NE1: emissions override for CT, ME, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, and WA
It would be interesting to know where it was originally sold.
Carfax has first purchase being in Tucson, Arizona. It’s life was lived there until I purchased it last week and now resides in Indiana.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
There weren't really much in the way of "special order options". The only real choices there were for a Redline were exterior color, interior color, chrome or brushed wheels, leather or cloth interior, spoiler or not, and the various stereo options.

The only "special order" thing was the D30 color override code, but even that was just to allow some additional interior/exterior color combination options.

Sure, the dealers had a few GMPP items that they could add after the fact (the CAI and exhaust being the big ones, the luggage rack and wind blocker being some of the lesser ones), but those would not show up on the list of RPO codes. The RPO codes would only list items included by the factory.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts