Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Carfax has first purchase being in Tucson, Arizona. It’s life was lived there until I purchased it last week and now resides in Indiana.
Maybe Arizona has an emissions requirement that didn't make it into the order book that year. In any case, those codes are certifications and not any particular characteristics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Neither actually. The CAI doesn't improve anything, as the stock airbox is actually very efficient. It may make a somewhat different sound, but that's about it.
It's possible that the exhaust changes could be a slight improvement, but only if the car has been tuned for it.
What significant exhaust changes would I be looking for? A larger exhaust pipe/s or muffler/catalytic size change?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I’m going off the RPO listing from seller’s posting with photo. I had car shipped across country and haven’t seen it up close to verify the RPOs. Still visiting but curiosity to know as much as I can gets me prepared for next plan with adjustments to car. The NC7 and NU1 RPOs are only thing relevant but not specific in detail. View attachment 117013
I have my suspicions that a few of the RPO codes were left off since QSL - Tires, P245/45R18 isn't on there, but other than some emissions codes and special order codes we appear to have identical cars from the RPO list even the stereo options. Pretty cool.

FWIW N34 is not a plastic woodgrain steering wheel on the Kappa RPO list. No option was available it was N34- Steering wheel, 3-spoke leather-wrapped.
What significant exhaust changes would I be looking for? A larger exhaust pipe/s or muffler/catalytic size change?
The dual pipes on each side is a dead give away. The stock exhaust was trapezoid shaped. The GMPP exhaust looks identical to the Magnaflow exhaust, I believe Magnaflow made if for GM, but depending on what the muffler is stamped with will answer if was a "GMPP" exhaust or "Magnaflow" exhaust. Not much difference other than who installed it. It sounds nice either way.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The stock redline exhaust has a single "rectangular-ish" exhaust tip on each side. Yours seems to have dual round tips on each side. As @steveorama said, this shows that you have some sort of after-market exhaust (either GMPP or some other one). This also (like the CAI) will change the car's sound. How much of a change will depend upon exactly what exhaust it is.

Unlike the CAI however, the exhaust might increase the power slightly. Understand however, that because of the Sky's ECU "learn down" feature, that (potential) benefit will rather quickly be neutralized - unless you have a re-tune that will disable the learn down. There is a GMPP tune (officially called the GMPP Turbo Upgrade), and there are various tunes available from other companies.

If the previous owner actually installed the GMPP CAI and Exhaust, it is not unlikely that he also had the GMPP tune installed as well. The picture that you posted of your engine is too low a resolution to tell if the GMPP tune has been installed, but it looks like it could have been. There is no real way to tell if an aftermarket tune has been installed other than to drive it (they were usually meant to be "stealthy" to avoid causing GM warranty issues).

Reactions: steveorama

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
I think that @mbeardsley left out three sentences:

The GMPP tune package included two new MAP sensors. They are differentiated from the stock MAP sensrs by having one retention screw instead of two. This makes the presence of the GMPP tune easy to detect.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The GMPP tune package included two new MAP sensors. They are differentiated from the stock MAP sensrs by having one retention screw instead of two. This makes the presence of the GMPP tune easy to detect.
That's what I was getting at. From the low res picture of the engine he provided it is hard to tell, but it looks like there might be a bit of the blue label from the upgraded MAP sensors, but certainly can't be sure.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's what I was getting at. From the low res picture of the engine he provided it is hard to tell, but it looks like there might be a bit of the blue label from the upgraded MAP sensors, but certainly can't be sure.
I did my best to zoom in on the charge pipe MAP sensor and it doesn't look like the tell tale blue Bosch sensors so I'm assuming no to the GMPP tune also, but it's possible it has a Trifecta tune similar. The OP won't really know that until they see what boost numbers they are hitting at WOT. A couple clicks of either the cruise control or traction control may be needed too if it's Trifecta. @Pacey when you actually receive the car if you're curious to this just post and I'm sure a number of us will be happy to walk you through the steps to see if an aftermarket tune is installed.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I did the zoom thing too, and it looked like there might be some blue where the one sensor is, but that might also be an artifact of the pixelization. That's why I said that I couldn't be sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did my best to zoom in on the charge pipe MAP sensor and it doesn't look like the tell tale blue Bosch sensors so I'm assuming no to the GMPP tune also, but it's possible it has a Trifecta tune similar. The OP won't really know that until they see what boost numbers they are hitting at WOT. A couple clicks of either the cruise control or traction control may be needed too if it's Trifecta. @Pacey when you actually receive the car if you're curious to this just post and I'm sure a number of us will be happy to walk you through the steps to see if an aftermarket tune is installed.
I definitely curious to know! The tailpipes are round. When I get back, I will contact with greater detail of sensors. I still have two questions regarding the Limited Edition sticker and Special Edition, is there knowledge from Sky workers on line to know if the Limited Edition badge was/was not applied on assembly line? Special Edition based on specific color and striping, was there a badge on car signifying as a Special Edition And was this done on assembly line?

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
I definitely curious to know! The tailpipes are round. When I get back, I will contact with greater detail of sensors. I still have two questions regarding the Limited Edition sticker and Special Edition, is there knowledge from Sky workers on line to know if the Limited Edition badge was/was not applied on assembly line? Special Edition based on specific color and striping, was there a badge on car signifying as a Special Edition And was this done on assembly line?
I have not seen that limited edition badge on anything Sky related, so I am confident that it is not factory. I have also not seen any badges indicating that the car was a Special Edition.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Brought to you courtesy of Amazon for $7.49.

Part #'s 24, 25, 26, and 27 are the only rear badging that ever came from the assembly line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have not seen that limited edition badge on anything Sky related, so I am confident that it is not factory. I have also not seen any badges indicating that the car was a Special Edition.
I’m hoping, once we get home, I hope the packet of information seller sent with car has window sticker as well. I’m beginning to believe that sticker was something dealer added to car to make it unique.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Purchased Sky and uncertain of factual evidence to go with Limited Edition given its color. It does have Limited Edition logo on back bumper so my question, can vin number help to clarify it being a Limited Edition? What attributes does Limited Edition have over a Red Line? Does a Sky owner have data for 2008 vin numbers for me to read and understand? Five and sixth position L-R for 2009 do not match with my 2008 vin numbers. View attachment 116990
There is no such animal as LE in a SKY....only Special Edition...and in 2008, it was Limited.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
There is too much of nothing going on with this thread....his car is NO BIG DEAL. He fails to see it.
I’m a newbie with a Sky needing to know. Owning an ‘87 MR2 for 17 years, knowing the outer component/issues of vehicle is knowledge of gold to understanding inner components/issues of car.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
There is too much of nothing going on with this thread....his car is NO BIG DEAL. He fails to see it.
If there is nothing going on here there is no need for you to be here, Mike.

Reactions: moms car

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
I’m a newbie with a Sky needing to know. Owning an ‘87 MR2 for 17 years, knowing the outer component/issues of vehicle is knowledge of gold to understanding inner components/issues of car.
Mike is sometimes difficult. The rest of us are happy to help you learn.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Mike is sometimes difficult. The rest of us are happy to help you learn.
Thank you. When it comes to learning, there are no wrong questions. I know I went overboard with Limited Edition sticker yet to not fully understand its meaning could cause a decision internally to keep pristine from body inward.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts