Saturn Sky Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
18,463 Posts
If there is nothing going on here there is no need for you to be here, Mike.
My presence brings CLOSURE...perhaps. We do learn from experiential learning. This may be one of those moments. The car is not a LE...not even a SE. What else is needed? More of the same rhetoric?

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Thank you. When it comes to learning, there are no wrong questions. I know I went overboard with Limited Edition sticker yet to not fully understand its meaning could cause a decision internally to keep pristine from body inward.
I get it. the hardest thing is usually to figure out what you don't know.

What some people (who shall remain nameless) tend to forget is that many of us have had years to learn all of the details, while others have only had days.

"Search the forum" is a common mantra here, but sometimes it is hard to even know what to search for. The things that are common to most cars will be relatively easy for you to search for, but the unique details will not.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I’m hoping, once we get home, I hope the packet of information seller sent with car has window sticker as well. I’m beginning to believe that sticker was something dealer added to car to make it unique.
With your continued persistence, I'm hoping you did not buy the car under the guise of it being a "limited edition".

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yes, that sticker was added by somebody long after the factory was done with the car.

Believe us, if there had been a Bluestone "Limited Edition", it would have been discussed here (ad nauseum) a long time ago.

In case you care, for 2008 there were 937 Bluestone Skys made (588 Redlines and 349 "base" models).
Of those 588 Redlines, 391 had the auto transmission (RPO code M82), with 197 having manual (RPO code MA5).

So you can claim to having 1 out of the 391 Bluestone Redlines with auto transmission, but that's about as "limited" as it gets.

Still, it's a very nice car, and I wish you the best with it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes, that sticker was added by somebody long after the factory was done with the car.

Believe us, if there had been a Bluestone "Limited Edition", it would have been discussed here (ad nauseum) a long time ago.

In case you care, for 2008 there were 937 Bluestone Skys made (588 Redlines and 349 "base" models).
Of those 588 Redlines, 391 had the auto transmission (RPO code M82), with 197 having manual (RPO code MA5).

So you can claim to having 1 out of the 391 Bluestone Redlines with auto transmission, but that's about as "limited" as it gets.

Still, it's a very nice car, and I wish you the best with it.
As I stated earlier even more exclusive if you factor in the tan interior option. 1 of 174 2008 Bluestone Redline Auto w/ Tan interior. I'm a proud owner of one myself :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I get it. the hardest thing is usually to figure out what you don't know.

What some people (who shall remain nameless) tend to forget is that many of us have had years to learn all of the details, while others have only had days.

"Search the forum" is a common mantra here, but sometimes it is hard to even know what to search for. The things that are common to most cars will be relatively easy for you to search for, but the unique details will not.
When owning MR2, their search forum had those similarities and based on how words were put in search brought too many unresolved answers. Another question regarding the engine block and cylinders. Are there water jackets for cooling between all four cylinders or are cylinders in a Siamese pattern where 2 cylinders in pairs have no cooling jacket between them? That’s where MR2 blew head gasket since the heat was greatest and gasket the least when going from hot to cold with shrinking of aluminum head. I haven’t read enough to know engine internals of Sky engine yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
With your continued persistence, I'm hoping you did not buy the car under the guise of it being a "limited edition".
Oh no. I had my decision made with it being a Red Line, it’s color, interior design, outside looks, underneath clean, no oil leaks, mileage and had to give a little with automatic(I like to crunch gears) but well worth the sacrifice finding out the limited amount with this package has made the change a little easier. I will know more about car once I’m home and driving it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
As I stated earlier even more exclusive if you factor in the tan interior option. 1 of 174 2008 Bluestone Redline Auto w/ Tan interior. I'm a proud owner of one myself :cool:
Of course, if you are looking for REALLY rare Bluestones...

There were 14 that had a Tan interior but with a Black top.
There were 3 that had a Tan top and Black interior (2 black leather and 1 black cloth)
And there was only 1 that had a Red interior (it had a black top).

Reactions: steveorama

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, CAT delete & ECM Tune. diy tunnel brace. ProBeam.
74 Posts
@mbeardsley
How do you have this trove of information and where can one get this for looking up stats like this?

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, CAT delete & ECM Tune. diy tunnel brace. ProBeam.
74 Posts
Mike is sometimes difficult. The rest of us are happy to help you learn.
@JohnWR
By MM only saying “his car is NO BIG DEAL” is a real step in the softer direction of things. I applaud MM for his failed attempt at being nice. Keep practicing, @marlboromike , someday you might actually say something helpful/nice/appreciated/not hurtful and make a friend on this forum.

while this car may be no big deal to some, it’s a great car and a big deal to others.
I have a one if a kind Sky, too: it’s presently owned by me and is a Limited in its own way: Sticker or not.

Have fun with your Sky @Pacey (not that it’s hard to do). I hope it brings as much joy as that other thing you had ;-)’ but, yeah, no limited edition except that you might be the only Sky with a $8 ebay sticker on it. So there’s that.
love the paint color, by they way. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Oh no. I had my decision made with it being a Red Line, it’s color, interior design, outside looks, underneath clean, no oil leaks, mileage and had to give a little with automatic(I like to crunch gears) but well worth the sacrifice finding out the limited amount with this package has made the change a little easier. I will know more about car once I’m home and driving it.
That's good I'm glad you're getting what you wanted then. There were a couple color combinations I had wanted when I was looking last year when I bought mine. I ended up finding our bluestone with 60k miles in OK and we drove it back to Texas so about a 12 hour round trip drive that day. The tan tops seem to damage easier than the black tops though for some reason. The stitching had pulled up and had lightly faded. I re-stitched the edges and they looked fairly good, but ultimately I wanted a black top with the two tone tan interior so I swapped a black top from a wrecked low mile GXP. Now I'm very happy with it just need to find a paint correction guy to fix the rock chips and door dings and I'll be set. I believe you said you were in Indiana? If so you're lucky enough to be fairly close to Hoosier GXP , he's in Indiana also and parts out Skys and Solstices pretty regularly so if you discover you need replacement parts you're set!

@mbeardsley
How do you have this trove of information and where can one get this for looking up stats like this?
I imagine the CompNine website mostly. It used to be free (too bad it isn't anymore) and several here on the forum saved a lot of information on VIN breakdowns and created small databases. You can find a lot of what they found here on the forum in old threads. I've tried to save as much as I could from them as well as I'm a stats and spreadsheet guy. @mbeardsley was one of those who really spent a lot of time gathering this information and sharing it along with others, I'm glad to see he's active again on the forum!

If you like access to a handy book, there is also a new book out on Amazon. The folks over on the Solstice Forum alerted me to it. The information is fairly simple and not as detailed as some of the spreadsheets, but I like being able to flip through a book sometimes too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That's good I'm glad you're getting what you wanted then. There were a couple color combinations I had wanted when I was looking last year when I bought mine. I ended up finding our bluestone with 60k miles in OK and we drove it back to Texas so about a 12 hour round trip drive that day. The tan tops seem to damage easier than the black tops though for some reason. The stitching had pulled up and had lightly faded. I re-stitched the edges and they looked fairly good, but ultimately I wanted a black top with the two tone tan interior so I swapped a black top from a wrecked low mile GXP. Now I'm very happy with it just need to find a paint correction guy to fix the rock chips and door dings and I'll be set. I believe you said you were in Indiana? If so you're lucky enough to be fairly close to Hoosier GXP , he's in Indiana also and parts out Skys and Solstices pretty regularly so if you discover you need replacement parts you're set!

I imagine the CompNine website mostly. It used to be free (too bad it isn't anymore) and several here on the forum saved a lot of information on VIN breakdowns and created small databases. You can find a lot of what they found here on the forum in old threads. I've tried to save as much as I could from them as well as I'm a stats and spreadsheet guy. @mbeardsley was one of those who really spent a lot of time gathering this information and sharing it along with others, I'm glad to see he's active again on the forum!

If you like access to a handy book, there is also a new book out on Amazon. The folks over on the Solstice Forum alerted me to it. The information is fairly simple and not as detailed as some of the spreadsheets, but I like being able to flip through a book sometimes too.
Thanks for the heads up on the book! 📕

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
@mbeardsley

Yes, this info was pulled from the CompNine site, which has detailed info on 2008-2009 Skys, but only partial (and often incorrect) data on 2007 cars.

I did a bunch of research into cars that opted for the D30 color override code. It allowed people to special order a "non-standard" color combination. I used this method to build my Red Sky with a red interior. Others used it to get things like a red interior on a Bluestone, or a black top with a tan interior.

I did not know about this book...thanks for that info. I have just ordered it - it will be interesting to compare their numbers with mine - and to see what the source of their info is.

Reactions: Pacey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

@steveorama Thanks for heads up on on Hoosier GXP for parts. I’m sure there will be minor damage not readily seen that will need replacing. Sure helps knowing places to go for parts. I will be restitching the top seams when we get home. Parts already there and my time. I will add my touches to top with red stitching and a good wash once seams are stitched and sealed. I’m sure there are some minor damage with front bumper scrapes and bent supports all due to gapping of bumper to hood/fender. All just part of TLC on any car.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes, this info was pulled from the CompNine site, which has detailed info on 2008-2009 Skys, but only partial (and often incorrect) data on 2007 cars.

I did a bunch of research into cars that opted for the D30 color override code. It allowed people to special order a "non-standard" color combination. I used this method to build my Red Sky with a red interior. Others used it to get things like a red interior on a Bluestone, or a black top with a tan interior.

I did not know about this book...thanks for that info. I have just ordered it - it will be interesting to compare their numbers with mine - and to see what the source of their info is.
He sights compnine as one of his sources along with others.

What I found interesting is the 2007 data. He has totals that I don't think I've seen, but his option tables by color are incomplete. He does make it very clear that data is incomplete for that information

2007 TotalsSkySky RedlineTotal Units
Midnight Blue8693631,232
Sunburst Yellow423170593
Forest Green462132594
Black Onyx1,0774231,500
Silver Graphite8762431,119
Polar White469142611
Silver Pearl2,7697993,568
Bluestone6154671,082
Chili Pepper Red1,6657702,435
Sub-totals9,2253,50912,734
No Color on VIN Record2,2991471,3,770
Totals11,5244,98016,504

·
Registered
611 Posts
@steveorama Thanks for heads up on on Hoosier GXP for parts. I’m sure there will be minor damage not readily seen that will need replacing. Sure helps knowing places to go for parts. I will be restitching the top seams when we get home. Parts already there and my time. I will add my touches to top with red stitching and a good wash once seams are stitched and sealed. I’m sure there are some minor damage with front bumper scrapes and bent supports all due to gapping of bumper to hood/fender. All just part of TLC on any car.
I used this Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl to re-stitch my top. Worked great btw.
I also used chemical bros convertible top cleaner and it did wonders on my black top. It really looks brand new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I used this Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl to re-stitch my top. Worked great btw.
I also used chemical bros convertible top cleaner and it did wonders on my black top. It really looks brand new.
I purchased the same stitcher. Were the needle sizes OK for following through same holes on seam? I purchased some smaller sized curved needles for mine since I was uncertain of tearing/damage to top with its age. I’ll be looking for that top cleaner!

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I have not seen that limited edition badge on anything Sky related, so I am confident that it is not factory. I have also not seen any badges indicating that the car was a Special Edition.
I had the guy who sold me my Sky try to convince me my model was a special edition (it's not).

41 - 60 of 94 Posts