Saturn Sky Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
And the reality is that even the Special Edition isn't all that special, since it is just a specific combination of colors. That said, all Sky's are special, so it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I purchased the same stitcher. Were the needle sizes OK for following through same holes on seam? I purchased some smaller sized curved needles for mine since I was uncertain of tearing/damage to top with its age. I’ll be looking for that top cleaner!
I was out and about this weekend, sorry for the late reply.

I actually ordered a couple extra needles (#4 small straight) as I heard they were easy to break. These needles worked perfect for me, I only broke one and I ended up re-stitching all the seams on the top for uniformity. It turned out pretty decent, I tried to follow the original stiches as well as possible, but I wandered off on a few places. It is a very tiring process and requires quite a bit of hand strength to push the needle through a few layers of thick fabric. I ended up also buying a kit of different threading as I ended up also using the stitching awl on my wife's door armrest in her Explorer too. Those are well known to split at the seam and you couldn't even tell I fixed it when we traded it in a couple months later.

As far as the top cleaner, although you can find quite a bit of the Chemical Guys products at Walmart, they don't sell the convertible top cleaner there. I ordered it also online along with the brush and I was really impressed with it. The cleaner smells a lot like a degreaser personally, but supposedly it's formulated for fabric convertible tops. It also comes with a protectant you spray on after and it's supposed to last 6 months or so and keep the top looking clean and UV protected. Others here have used similar products by 303.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Purchased Sky and uncertain of factual evidence to go with Limited Edition given its color. It does have Limited Edition logo on back bumper so my question, can vin number help to clarify it being a Limited Edition? What attributes does Limited Edition have over a Red Line? Does a Sky owner have data for 2008 vin numbers for me to read and understand? Five and sixth position L-R for 2009 do not match with my 2008 vin numbers. View attachment 116990
If it looks like it’s a dealer sticker type addition, use a hot blow dryer to lift it off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
If it looks like it’s a dealer sticker type addition, use a hot blow dryer to lift it off.
I began to think this may have been an addition by dealer when GM performance parts were made by dealer while new. Anyone else know if this could be rather than a put on at assembly line?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I began to think this may have been an addition by dealer when GM performance parts were made by dealer while new. Anyone else know if this could be rather than a put on at assembly line?
Well, anything is possible. It was very rare that a dealer would put on the GMPP parts on his own dime, as it was unlikely to return a profit that way (and might have made the car harder to sell). But if the dealer did do that, than sure, maybe he added the sticker as well. But that would have been his own idea, it wasn't part of the GMPP stuff.

Far more likely is that the first owner added the GMPP parts, and then added the sticker himself to make it "special".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Well, anything is possible. It was very rare that a dealer would put on the GMPP parts on his own dime, as it was unlikely to return a profit that way (and might have made the car harder to sell). But if the dealer did do that, than sure, maybe he added the sticker as well. But that would have been his own idea, it wasn't part of the GMPP stuff.

Far more likely is that the first owner added the GMPP parts, and then added the sticker himself to make it "special".
Not knowing is better to ask/question before making first change. As the old carpenter said measure once then twice, look everything over then measure again. Then question every move until it’s complete. And I still make errors, just smaller ones.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Not knowing is better to ask/question before making first change. As the old carpenter said measure once then twice, look everything over then measure again. Then question every move until it’s complete. And I still make errors, just smaller ones.
A good philosophy to be sure.

That decal can safely be removed, as there is nothing "official" about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
A good philosophy to be sure.

That decal can safely be removed, as there is nothing "official" about it.
I’m still cautious with changing things. An example is my older brother, now deceased, purchased a brand new 1964 GTO at an Alabama dealership. Its literature show car with 389ci, 4 sod, 4 barrel and posit trac. Four years later starter bendix broke and part for 389 starter wouldn’t fit. Auto guy said rumor was of seven 421ci’s put in on assembly line without giving info on them as a test of their capabilitie/enduranc. A 421 starter bendix fit starter in GTO. In 1972 another brother owned same GTO and wanted to swap his four barrel for a tri-power setup with friend’s GTO with 389ci. Manifolds didn’t match with 421 having larger more defined rectangular inlets/crossover. Can’t imagine value if any one of those seven exist now. The same holds with each Sky as time takes them away leaving a select few in each category.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Guys -
I really enjoyed reading this post and learned a lot as usual. Since we are all interested in "How unique is my Sky", can you tell me more about my beauty? She is a 2008 Redline with red/black interior, automatic, with spoiler. She was built in June 2007. Thanks for your support.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
I’m still cautious with changing things. An example is my older brother, now deceased, purchased a brand new 1964 GTO at an Alabama dealership. Its literature show car with 389ci, 4 sod, 4 barrel and posit trac. Four years later starter bendix broke and part for 389 starter wouldn’t fit. Auto guy said rumor was of seven 421ci’s put in on assembly line without giving info on them as a test of their capabilitie/enduranc. A 421 starter bendix fit starter in GTO. In 1972 another brother owned same GTO and wanted to swap his four barrel for a tri-power setup with friend’s GTO with 389ci. Manifolds didn’t match with 421 having larger more defined rectangular inlets/crossover. Can’t imagine value if any one of those seven exist now. The same holds with each Sky as time takes them away leaving a select few in each category.
An interesting story, those cars should be interesting to research.

By this point in time we would know if there were any truly unique Sky's out there from the factory.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi, Guys -
I really enjoyed reading this post and learned a lot as usual. Since we are all interested in "How unique is my Sky", can you tell me more about my beauty? She is a 2008 Redline with red/black interior, automatic, with spoiler. She was built in June 2007. Thanks for your support.
Hi @collect24 I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum!

From the information I have, they made 13,542 Skys in 2008. 750 were Polar White Redlines, 510 of those were auto, and 149 of those had the red interior. So 1 of 149 presumably. 2360 cars had a spoiler in 2008, but I don't have the data more granular on that option by color.

I feel with the amount of information on this forum, you can feel fairly confident that sticker has no significant importance and was added by a PO. There was another car recently that had a sticker on the bumper in a different font that also said "Limited Edition" but followed by 1 of 500. It was a Ruby Red SE so it's well known those cars are all 1 of 500, but there still has been no indication that any of those stickers were added by either GM or the dealerships. The only exception to that is a while back it turned up that a dealership somewhere, I believe in Colorado, had created an unofficial "Z07" package of their own creation and had slapped some Z07 stickers on the side fenders and had Z07 embroidered into the seats. It turns out they sold these Z07 packages for a premium, but I doubt they still would ever be more collectable than an average Sky since they were never sanctioned by GM. So it's no different than an owner doing the same modifications.

·
Registered
2 Posts

From the information I have, they made 13,542 Skys in 2008. 750 were Polar White Redlines, 510 of those were auto, and 149 of those had the red interior. So 1 of 149 presumably. 2360 cars had a spoiler in 2008, but I don't have the data more granular on that option by color.

I feel with the amount of information on this forum, you can feel fairly confident that sticker has no significant importance and was added by a PO. There was another car recently that had a sticker on the bumper in a different font that also said "Limited Edition" but followed by 1 of 500. It was a Ruby Red SE so it's well known those cars are all 1 of 500, but there still has been no indication that any of those stickers were added by either GM or the dealerships. The only exception to that is a while back it turned up that a dealership somewhere, I believe in Colorado, had created an unofficial "Z07" package of their own creation and had slapped some Z07 stickers on the side fenders and had Z07 embroidered into the seats. It turns out they sold these Z07 packages for a premium, but I doubt they still would ever be more collectable than an average Sky since they were never sanctioned by GM. So it's no different than an owner doing the same modifications.
Hey, Steveorama -
Thanks for your reply to my request for information on my white RL. You are quick and obviously very knowledgeable. Your support is very much appreciated. Look forward to talking with you again.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I’m just surprised that a Saturn 🪐 dealer of the past didn’t create a Yenko equivalent of a Sky. 🤔

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I’m just surprised that a Saturn 🪐 dealer of the past didn’t create a Yenko equivalent of a Sky. 🤔
Well, it's not like the Saturn brand had a large fan-base of performance enthusiasts...though maybe I could see that for Pontiac.

Reactions: Wnolte1122

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Mallet LS swap was really the closest thing to that. Obviously that was a performance shop conversion, but really that was the closest thing.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
When they were selling new there was a waiting list, so there was no incentive for a dealer to make the investment, and there were no spare cars to do it with.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Guys: The new book available through Amazon is packed with great information. I've been collecting any information I can get, for years and have manila envelopes full of great information. This book has much more information and is almost pocket size. Title is ALL Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, colors, codes & quantities.
author is Robert Casey Costs $28. Great booklet!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hey Guys: The new book available through Amazon is packed with great information. I've been collecting any information I can get, for years and have manila envelopes full of great information. This book has much more information and is almost pocket size. Title is ALL Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, colors, codes & quantities.
author is Robert Casey Costs $28. Great booklet!!
It's decent, I posted about it a couple of days ago. There are some discrepancies between the mostly agreed numbers listed here on the forum and the book though. So I don't know which to believe, both sets of numbers were mostly sourced from compnine's website. I do like that it's easy to flip through and simpler than pulling up my excel spreadsheets though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

I will be home in two days for first view of Sky. Already have a to do list ready.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I did my best to zoom in on the charge pipe MAP sensor and it doesn't look like the tell tale blue Bosch sensors so I'm assuming no to the GMPP tune also, but it's possible it has a Trifecta tune similar. The OP won't really know that until they see what boost numbers they are hitting at WOT. A couple clicks of either the cruise control or traction control may be needed too if it's Trifecta. @Pacey when you actually receive the car if you're curious to this just post and I'm sure a number of us will be happy to walk you through the steps to see if an aftermarket tune is installed.
Arrived home today and took three pictures of charge pipe area. I’m interested in what you guys think from pictures.
Motor vehicle Product Gas Automotive design Auto part
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Material property Bumper
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Car

61 - 80 of 94 Posts